Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When I board a Ryanair/Aer Lingus they barely look at my passport at the terminal gate, sometimes I don't bother operning it up and just give them my boarding pass. You only need a plane ticket to get past airport security.

All about the money. Far too many people to check I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Right, aeronautical novice here, but I would like an answer to this.

Below is a list of the codes under "Radar" in FlightRadar24.com during this track of the flight. Would I be right to say these are just a code for the radar receiver it is relaying information to?

Radar
    F-WMSA2
    T-WMSA8
    T-WMKP2
    F-WMCK1
    T-WMKN1
    F-WMKC1
    T-WMKN1
    F-WMKC1

The Squawk code was 2175 for the duration of the flight. Am I right in saying this code was given to the plane by the Air Traffic Controller to identify it from other planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

All about the money. Far too many people to check I guess.

all modern passports are machine readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Do you think this is just a coincidence that North Korea came close to hitting a Chinese aeroplane a few days ago?
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303824204579420623335971350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Cheers.

I can't believe any of that. I cant believe the airlines or investigators would ignore these facts without a rock solid reason. Surely that would be a pretty major development, I mean, a phone is essentially a personal location device and them still being online is nothing but a footnote at the end of an article about rightfully pissed off relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

irishgeo wrote: »
    all modern passports are machine readable.

Yes but when is your passport number as entered when you book your ticket ever vouched to the actual passport. At no point do you have to actually scan it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This post has been deleted.

Seems to me they dont care when you are leaving the country!

Yes but when is your passport number as entered when you book your ticket ever vouched to the actual passport. At no point do you have to actually scan it.

i am aware of that, the point i was making was that you dont need staff to do it. the only country that makes you scan your passport to check in is the USA./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The phones ringing sounds like complete horse****.

Source?

Most likely explanation from what I've seen is a "comfort tone".
    Some phone networks will play out the ringing tone while they're waiting for a mobile to be located.

That's possibly why they're getting one or two blasts of ringing then a connection error / voicemail.

It's not actually ringing, it's just routing.

In Ireland (and France) years ago it used to be done by playing a 'bebebebebe' tone on some exchanges.

The logic is that it's less confusing than giving someone 5-10 seconds of silence.

• Advertisement

Cheers.

I can't believe any of that. I cant believe the airlines or investigators would ignore these facts without a rock solid reason. Surely that would be a pretty major development, I mean, a phone is essentially a personal location device and them still being online is nothing but a footnote at the end of an article about rightfully pissed off relatives.

Just to spook you out, watch this graphic:

http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention

A German politician sued the telecoms company to release all of his personal data they were keeping for the previous 6 months, and he was then able to pinpoint his exact location over that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Seems to me they dont care when you are leaving the country!

No, I don't think that's true. Destination authorities impose fines on airlines who allow illegal passengers through.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

What's the deal with the passports anyhow?.. are they saying two guys who are on the no-fly list used these to get on the plane with a bomb?

Could whoever was over this not find two guys who have their own passports to do it to stop the risk of being stopped and arrested at the airport and the plan failing?

Do they not check for bombs at airports anymore?

It's all a bit confusing for me as to why there would be massive significance over the passports unless they were two guys who were on the no-fly list but still they would have to get onboard with a bomb?.. if they charged the cockpit their would have been a distress call?

I cant really work it out, everyone is talking about the stolen passports but what really is the significance of the stolen passports?..

a plane appears to have fallen apart in the sky and the fact there was 2 stolen passports but I can't connect the two together other than some high up the ladder terrorist on a no fly list?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

orionm_73 wrote: »
    Was looking at that video and the "changed flight path" shows the reg to be 9M-MRQ while the "original" one shows the correct one MRO. Could it be the poster is watching a video of the next nights flight?

Nail on the head.

Ref. Mobiles ringing. Anyone hear familiar with the unfamiliar sounding dial tone when calling phones internationally? Easily confused with actual connection.

Ref. illegal passports. Probably more prevalent than we care to think, especially in some parts of the world.

I don't mean to play Devil's advocate so strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

robbieVan wrote: »

I cant really work it out, everyone is talking about the stolen passports but what really is the significance of the stolen passports?..

Exactly. The passport is a red herring,I'm sure.

If it was a suicide bomber, why take the chance of him/her being stopped at passport control (assuming (s)he somehow managed to smuggle his/her bomb on board:rolleyes:).

What's the deal with the passports anyhow?.. are they saying two guys who are on the no-fly list used these to get on the plane with a bomb?

Could whoever was over this not find two guys who have their own passports to do it to stop the risk of being stopped and arrested at the airport and the plan failing?

Do they not check for bombs at airports anymore?

It's all a bit confusing for me as to why there would be massive significance over the passports unless they were two guys who were on the no-fly list but still they would have to get onboard with a bomb?.. if they charged the cockpit their would have been a distress call?

a plane appears to have fallen apart in the sky and the fact there was 2 stolen passports but I can't connect the two together other than some high up the ladder terrorist on a no fly list?

it could be more than 2 , we only know its 2 because these people phoned up and said they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

irishgeo wrote: »
    it could be more than 2 , we only know its 2 because these people phoned up and said they were fine.

and if it was more than 2 what difference does it make?.. why would they go through the risk of this big operation being screwed up if someone looked at the passport properly at the airport,

I think the passport thing isn't gonna be a part of all this in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Missing Malaysia MH370 prompts new calls for SOS data streaming
    In the wake of the Air France Flight 447 tragedy in 2009, French air accident investigators recommended that the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and global aviation standards body ICAO make mandatory as quickly as possible the triggering of data transmission for flights over maritime or remote areas, to help pinpoint a flight’s exact location as soon as an emergency situation is detected on board.

Details about this system, argument for why it should be made mandatory and costs to install it are in the link.

http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/2014/03/missing-malaysia-aircraft-prompts-calls-emergency-data-streaming/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

One explanation for the uncertainty in the location may be that the crew managed to keep some control of the aircraft (seriously crippled by some mishap) for a period of time before crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The first reports of this missing flight that I heard was that it never landed in Beijing .
    Was that really the case , that no one questioned it's location until it was a no show at Beijing ?

''A father and son have been found living in the jungle of Vietnam four decades after they went missing during the country's war with the U.S''

Could it have made land. Could it be lost in vast unpopulated jungles of Vietnam or Cambodia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Do you think this is just a coincidence that North Korea came close to hitting a Chinese aeroplane a few days ago?
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303824204579420623335971350
    what was odd about that was Chinas rather unbothered response, sort of "do be a bit more careful that's a good chap"

If you saw this on BBC News Chinese colleague of captain, knew him 2 years - what was odd was what he described as their shared interest in "social and political activism" - probably not the type of shared interest most people would put on a CV, even more so in Malaysia or China.
    Also said he had built his own flight simulator at home.

and if it was more than 2 what difference does it make?.. why would they go through the risk of this big operation being screwed up if someone looked at the passport properly at the airport,

I think the passport thing isn't gonna be a part of all this in the end

i dont think so either, id say they were looking to get into the EU illegally rather than anything else.
    The first reports of this missing flight that I heard was that it never landed in Beijing .
    Was that really the case , that no one questioned it's location until it was a no show at Beijing ?

''A father and son have been found living in the jungle of Vietnam four decades after they went missing during the country's war with the U.S''

Could it have made land. Could it be lost in vast unpopulated jungles of Vietnam or Cambodia

the first reports (while not public) would have been when it disappeared off the radar and then failed to contact ATC for the handover to the next country.

Disappearing off radar doesnt mean it fell out of the sky, it could have well flown on for ages after that but with a huge electrical problem of if the cockpit broke off , hence the huge search area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

Right, aeronautical novice here, but I would like an answer to this.

Below is a list of the codes under "Radar" in FlightRadar24.com during this track of the flight. Would I be right to say these are just a code for the radar receiver it is relaying information to?

Radar
    F-WMSA2
    T-WMSA8
    T-WMKP2
    F-WMCK1
    T-WMKN1
    F-WMKC1
    T-WMKN1
    F-WMKC1

The Squawk code was 2175 for the duration of the flight. Am I right in saying this code was given to the plane by the Air Traffic Controller to identify it from other planes?

I don't know about the 'Radar' codes but you're right about the Squawk code; ATC will give an aircraft a unique Squawk code which the pilot will enter into the aircraft's transponder, which helps ATC distinguish between different aircraft.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Dude111 wrote: »
    Its very strange that flightradar24.com changed the flight path of this flight!

www.youtube.com/v/hNZtz-HVy6c

Whats this lad on about here?

Or is he Just another 9/11 conspiracy theory lunatic looking for some excitement?

The guy in the video i mean not the person whose post i quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Is anyone searching on land ? And if it was hijacked and landed somewhere secret ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

sully2010 wrote: »
    This is the supposed photo of debris found. Looks very like the previous oil slick photos to me. Although those white things in the water are definitely not waves.

uzIDqhf.jpg

Is it just me that thinks that just looks like dirt on the window?

wil wrote: »
    what was odd about that was Chinas rather unbothered response, sort of "do be a bit more careful that's a good chap"

If you saw this on BBC News Chinese colleague of captain, knew him 2 years - what was odd was what he described as their shared interest in "social and political activism" - probably not the type of shared interest most people would put on a CV, even more so in Malaysia or China.
    Also said he had built his own flight simulator at home.

Here is his Youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/catalinapby1/videos

Nothing unusal at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

Interesting article on Yahoo putting into context how long finding debris can take when an aircraft disappears over the sea:

http://news.yahoo.com/jet-disappear-ocean-not-hard-181745591.html

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

This from CNN

Tickets linked to stolen passports for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 were purchased by an Iranian man, authorities say.

At least two people on board the plane were traveling on passports stolen from an Austrian and an Italian.

According to Thai police officials, an Iranian man by the name of Kazem Ali purchased the tickets for two friends who he said wanted to return home to Europe. While Ali made the initial booking by telephone, either Ali or someone acting on his behalf paid for the tickets in cash, according to police.
    Think someone mentioned earlier that 1% of passports were fake.meaning 2dodgy passports on a plane carrying over 200 people is slightly below average.lets not get too carried away with the terrorism angle just yet.

• Advertisement

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Think someone mentioned earlier that 1% of passports were fake.meaning 2dodgy passports on a plane carrying over 200 people is slightly below average.lets not get too carried away with the terrorism angle just yet.

Yes but they were sitting together so it is a viable theory.

Advertisement