Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

That is quite an interesting article. Why would the pilot have a simulator at home? It must not be a common thing. I would imagine he could try out a number of scenarios on it.
    2 stroke wrote: »
    This sounds iffy to me. He could practise gliding, flying below radar and waterlandings. Could he have picked out a hiding place for a 777?

I really wouldn't read into this at all. Clearly the Pilot had a love of flying, I'd imagine using a Flight Sim at home would be fairly common amongst pilots. IMHO, if a Pilot using a flight sim at home is iffy, then a professional footballer who has a home cinema setup to play Fifa is also iffy...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Saw this on pprune. Can't verify yet

Air Force chief Rodzali Daud ( left ) is quoted as saying that based on military radar readings from its station in Butterworth, MH370 may have turned west after Kota Bahru and flew past the east coast and Kedah.

"The last time the plane was detected was near Pulau Perak, in the Straits of Malacca, at 2.40am," Berita Harian quotes Rodzali as saying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

fits wrote: »

Air Force chief Rodzali Daud ( left ) is quoted as saying that based on military radar readings from its station in Butterworth, MH370 may have turned west after Kota Bahru and flew past the east coast and Kedah.

"The last time the plane was detected was near Pulau Perak, in the Straits of Malacca, at 2.40am," Berita Harian quotes Rodzali as saying.

Avherald says this:
    On Mar 11th 2014 Malaysia's Air Force reported their primary radar data suggest, the aircraft may have turned west over the Gulf of Thailand at about 1000 meters/3000 feet below the original flight level and flown past the east coast near Khota Baru and the west coast of Malaysia near Kedah, the radar return was last seen at 02:40L near Pulau Perak in the Straits of Malacca, about 285nm westsouthwest of the last known (secondary) radar position.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Sorry lads but aliens like are we really going to take that route of speculation seriously?

why not? I bet the US government are secretly open to any possibility and the amount of pilots that have come across UFOs and reported them...so really famous cases if you care to check...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alleged_aircraft%E2%80%93UFO_incidents_and_near_misses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Air_Lines_flight_1628_incident

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Sorry lads but aliens like are we really going to take that route of speculation seriously?

Probably not. However humans once thought the earth was flat. Know it alls......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Jesus if confirmed, I am totally lost at this point as to what has happened! That would suggest there was no catastrophic event, but that it was flying another hour plus.

Jesus if confirmed, I am totally lost at this point as to what has happened! That would suggest there was no catastrophic event, but that it was flying another hour plus.

Or on auto pilot before crashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I presume they can't be sure it was the actual plane. It must be primary radar that is showing up this. It is going in the direction though that the plane didn't crash or land in the area of last secondary radar contact.
    What does it mean? The plane could possibly have had a total electrical failure and the pilot was trying to navigate the plane back in the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Well are in you in a position to rule out terrorism? Or to clarify the motives of Iranian passengers on that flight? That is the reason. I don't think it is terrorism at this juncture, but I notice you are poster also, so is it illegal for me to post now the forum without consulting yourself?

No I can't rule out terrorism, but you are adding fuel to a xenophobic fire by mentioning something unrelated to the discussion at hand.

fr336 wrote: »
    Or on auto pilot before crashing?

Autopilot would not allow the aircraft to deviate to such an extent, if it was in LNAV and VNAV mode and with the FMC already programmed for the flight to Beijing, she would have maintained that course - However if switched to heading mode, and turned in the area that's being reported it could have then been on autopilot before crash as you suggest.
    No I can't rule out terrorism, but you are adding fuel to a xenophobic fire by mentioning something unrelated to the discussion at hand.

Well apologies one of my posts meant you had to raise the issue of speculation with just myself, I've at least counted more than 20 other posts of speculation.

• Advertisement

If those reports are true, the plane could be anywhere.

From the Mirror......

"The head of international police agency Interpol today said he did not believe the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines plane at the weekend was a terrorist incident.

"The more information we get, the more we are inclined to conclude it is not a terrorist incident," said Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble.

He also said two Iranian passport holders had swapped their passports in Kuala Lumpur and used stolen Italian and Austrian passports to board the now missing Malaysian airliner.

........"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Why are there no CCTV cameras on planes that records the last say 1 min of various parts of the cabin and cock pit and is stored in the black box., Would it not help investigations assuming the box were to be found

ronan45 wrote: »
    Why are there no CCTV cameras on planes that records the last say 1 min of various parts of the cabin and cock pit and is stored in the black box., Would it not help investigations assuming the box were to be found

Have a look back to page 51. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this is just getting more and more baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just saw this on reddit.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/03/crowdsourcing-the-search-for-malaysia-flight-370/

A company in Colorado are releasing satellite images for members of the public to trawl through.

I'm sure someone like NSA or CIA could have done this already by using image segmentation to automate the trawl through tons of satellite images?

This in somewhat confirms what I had said yesterday about Satellite imagery not happening over night.

What they have up there at the moment after 4 days is not much.

Approximately 30km width x 20km length took 4 days to achieve.

But, must say fair play to a privatised company doing this.

Just saw this on reddit.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/03/crowdsourcing-the-search-for-malaysia-flight-370/

A company in Colorado are releasing satellite images for members of the public to trawl through.

I'm sure someone like NSA or CIA could have done this already by using image segmentation to automate the trawl through tons of satellite images?

who rubbished my idea earlier in the thread? given the potential scale of the search area in light of this new information... crowdsourcing might be the only way to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Palau Perak is a tiny island between northern Malaysia and Indonesia. According to the map, it's hardly a kilometre long as far as I can see.

However, if the plane was anywhere in that direction, you'd have to ask whether the Indonesian authorities have any trace of it from their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Sounds more and more like a stolen airplane. Could oil slicks and debris be deliberately placed, false trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looking at sky now and they have widened the search even further, it appears that the plane could be anywhere within 3 or 4 flying hours at this stage.

the plane was serviced 12 days ago, this also could be vital into finding out what happened, maybe another Helios?

• Advertisement

who rubbished my idea earlier in the thread? given the potential scale of the search area in light of this new information... crowdsourcing might be the only way to do it...

I didn't rubbish it. I said capturing satellite imagery doesn't happen that fast. It doesn't and they've proved it.

They've apparently 5 satellites taking imagery and this is the imagery we have to work with after 4 days.

30km x 20km is not much when you take into account how wide the search area is.

And definitely NOT the only way to do it or we'd be waiting weeks for the imagery. I'm glad they're using it in addition to Radar imagery on planes and ships in the water.

maybe another Helios?

Very very strong possibility at this stage now. Total navigation failure too, over the sea, they could have turned around using their standby instruments that would explain it missing off secondary radar, they could have subsequently been completely lost.

So many possibilities now, increasingly worrying situation on a very sound aircraft.

irishmover wrote: »
    I didn't rubbish it. I said capturing satellite imagery doesn't happen that fast. It doesn't and they've proved it.

They've apparently 5 satellites taking imagery and this is the imagery we have to work with after 4 days.

30km x 20km is not much when you take into account how wide the search area is.

And definitely NOT the only way to do it or we'd be waiting weeks for the imagery. I'm glad they're using it in addition to Radar imagery on planes and ships in the water.

no you compared it to taking photos with iPhone and uploading to instagram. I.e rubbished it. This is a private company so resources are going to be limited compared to what gov organisations could do.

This plane could be anywhere west of the Malaysian peninsula. That peninsula is quite narrow so the pilot could have flown over it and onto over the Indonesian landmass.
    Total electrical failure does now seem very plausible. It appears the flight according to the primary radar was at 1000 metres lower. One wonders what options the flight crew would then have. Turn back and try to fly low enough to get a mobile signal?

no you compared it to taking photos with iPhone and uploading to instagram. I.e rubbished it. This is a private company so resources are going to be limited compared to what gov organisations could do.

You must have missed this post so I'll post it again.

irishmover wrote: »
    Don't really want to go off topic any further but I'll just say last I had done research on this was 3 years ago so I'm not completely up to speed.

But this should explain things better than I ever could.

http://www.satimagingcorp.com/characterization-of-satellite-remote-sensing-systems.html
    To get the spatial resolution necessary to distinguish debris with Ocean would mean it would take time to capture high quality data which would enable us to see the debris.

Along with the data processing as mentioned already. Looking at the weeks category assuming one of the high spatial resolution satellites can collect the data immediately.

So yeh, Worldview is what they used (one of the satellites in that link). It took them 4 days to distribute a 30km x 20km tile of high resolution data for public to review.

I didn't go into detail because that website explained it all. To get the entire search area with Satellite Imagery it would still be in the weeks category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

2 stroke wrote: »
    Sounds more and more like a stolen airplane. Could oil slicks and debris be deliberately placed, false trails.

I'd be inclined to dismiss the oil slicks and debris; sad as it is, dumping of both at sea is not uncommon.

I think the accident report for this is going to be fascinating if the plane did apparently drop 3000 feet and turn back east and travel for at least another hour. It hasn't really behaved in line with any known accident from the past; has some certain apparent shared features with several, but...

The northern end of Malaysian looks to have a few urban areas which suggests lights and the weather was good. If those two pilots were at the controls of their plane and conscious, and they know their own local geography, I can't imagine they were completely lost going across the peninsula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

"Malaysia Airlines live: search chief says 'there are some things I can't tell you'"

Source: Telegraph.co.uk

At this point, I'm beginning to suspect aliens. It sounds as plausible as a plane just.. vanishing.

'Twas the elves I tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

bangkok wrote: »
    does anybody think a UFO could be involved in this??

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

This aircraft will turn up eventually and all the conspiracy theorists, unqualified knowitalls and speculators will be left speechless and there will eventually most likely be a very logical explanation for the disappearance. :)

• Advertisement

This aircraft will turn up eventually and all the conspiracy theorists, unqualified knowitalls and speculators will be left speechless and there will eventually most likely be a very logical explanation for the disappearance. :)

To be fair, this post sounds a bit knowitall

Advertisement