Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Its fair to assume that the Malaysian authorities are far from transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Jack you are not listening. The authorities stated that no ACARS data was sent.

Perhaps because no known mechanical issues were detected?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I think tiger has you block or something as you have explained a number of thing which he hasn't grasped. As you explained earlier, an airplane can still be flown by the autopilot but the pilot is telling the computer where to go ie HDG mode.

So essentially the pilots would have to be conscious. The plane is assisted and to make turns the pilot would have had to enter data into it to make those turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Its fair to assume that the Malaysian authorities are far from transparent.

There's probably a bit of national face saving going on too as national pride will be quite badly hurt by this if it turns out to be a maintenance, operations or security issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

ACARS is used for lots of things apart form mechanical information.
    Position reports, PAX information , weather, etc etc.

• Advertisement

sopretty wrote: »
    Perhaps because no known mechanical issues were detected?

Well according to one of the more knowledgeable people on here the authorities have stated that no ACARS data was sent after last secondary radar contact.

I watched a press conference and they stated that they were no anomalies.

So is that still up for discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

So essentially the pilots would have to be conscious. The plane is assisted and to make turns the pilot would have had to enter data into it to make those turns.

Yes and what makes you believe something still could have happened, I'm explaining theories and you're shooting off then as if they're fact, they are not. PLEASE tiger, can you google information first and then if still troubled post it.

Other than a situation where the aircraft broke up, is there any way you could have a total electrical failure?
    It would seem quite unlikely to me as I'd assume systems are duplicated with multiple back up systems and battery back up for essential systems like radio, navigation, control surfaces etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

The usual set up is the aircraft is flown in LNAV mode. This follows the flight plan in the GPS/GNSS/FMC. The pilots then monitor that the autopilot is following the route.

If the autopilot is then put into HDG mode the pilot simply selects the new heading and the autopilot follows this selection.

So yes a manual input must be made.

But - has the new information about the aircraft been confirmed?

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Yes and what makes you believe something still could have happened, I'm explaining theories and you're shooting off then as if they're fact, they are not. PLEASE tiger, can you google information first and then if still troubled post it.

Jack I don't know what your issue is. I'm putting across possibilities and you are shouting me down with you BOLD statements. You have put across the possibility of a fire.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    ACARS is used for lots of things apart form mechanical information.
    Position reports, PAX information , weather, etc etc.

The position reports is not correct, final pax information is sent from ACARS to to the operations side of the airline, weather i.e. winds aloft is transmitted to ACARS from operations and into the FMS via an ''Uplink''.

Here's ACARS job in a summary - OAT, altitude, speed, EPR, N1, N2, EGT, F/F, oil pressure and temp - Maintenance interpret that.
    Jack I don't know what your issue is. I'm putting across possibilities and you are shouting me down with you BOLD statements. You have put across the possibility of a fire.

I do not mean to come across like that, but you are ignoring the posts of others here and not researching things that would improve your knowledge like I'm asking you to do, anything I'm actually telling you, you are ignoring and because of that not understanding the situation at hand and/or looking to much into certain aspects of aircraft systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

I was going to post a synopsis of the 777 electrical architecture and is redundancy..... But this thread has gone so of the wall I don't think there's much point.

So here's something more in tune with the discussion....
    "Aircraft beamed up to Neptune by alien master race, says Commander of Ant People" reports the Daily Mirror.

I was going to post a synopsis of the 777 electrical architecture and is redundancy..... But this thread has gone so of the wall I don't think there's much point.

"Aircraft beamed up to Neptune by alien master race, says Commander of Ant People" reports the Daily Mirror.

Post it, you might bring the thread back to sanity again.

I'm pretty sure from what I've read that all aircraft design for commercial aviation is about redundancy and more redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If the Angle of Attack sensors failed at the same time when the plane is levelled off at cruise altitude, would it be possible for the plane to stall even though it was at cruise altitude and not climbing whilst in auto pilot ofcourse.

It's an unlikely theory more a question about whether Angle of Attack sensors could cause a cruising 777 to stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Post it, you might bring the thread back to sanity again.

I'm pretty sure from what I've read that all aircraft design for commercial aviation is about redundancy and more redundancy.

+1 lots of us still here interested in facts and wanting to learn :)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

From Mirror.........

"Malaysia Airlines has issued a clarification over five passengers who checked in but did not board flight MH370.

The airline said that there were four passengers who had booked on the flight but did not show up for check-in.

The airline said in a statement: "Malaysia Airlines wishes to clarify that there were four (4) passengers who had valid booking to travel on flight MH370, 8 March 2014, but did not show up to check-in for the flight.

"As such, the issue of off-loading unaccompanied baggage did not arise, as the said four passengers did not check in for the flight. Hence, the above claim is untrue."

............"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would be grateful if you did post that synopsis although I also have to say I understand your latter view as well.

eatmyshorts I pm'd you yesterday in relation to the discussion of information related to the 777 as you are a pilot who flies such aircraft, any reason as to why you couldn't reply to the information?

Regards. :)

I was going to post a synopsis of the 777 electrical architecture and is redundancy

That would be quite helpful. No point explaining my own system as it's not a Boeing product.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    eatmyshorts I pm'd you yesterday in relation to the discussion of information related to the 777 as you are a pilot who flies such aircraft, any reason as to why you couldn't reply to the information?

Regards. :)

He may not wish to overly identify himself/herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Again from pprune. Unverified

Rumours has it that...

Quote:
    The US Embassy in Beijing claims that USAF Base at U-Tapao in Thailand monitored a distress call from Malaysia Airlines MH370 at 2.43 am. The pilot said that the cabin was starting to break apart and he was making a forced landing. Malaysia Airlines were notified.

According to Chinese news reports. Translated provided by: JeezCanada comments on China Times reports that "the U.S. Embassy said the 2:43 U.S. military bases stationed in Thailand U-Tapao SOS signal was listening to some of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 emergency call, said the aircraft cabin facing disint

EXTREMELY UNCONFIRMED RUMOUR!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Would love you to post it. I suspect the silent majority reading this thread rather than posting rubbish would also love to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Can someone explain something to me, as I seem to have gotten lost somewhere along this discussion.

From what I'm understanding, is this remotely along the lines of the details that are currently out there? I won't be insulted if I have totally and utterly miscomprehended everything that I have read and heard, so don't hold back if I have the whole thing assways.

1. Aircraft takes off, heading north, as per usual.
    2. At some point, the plane falls off SECONDARY radar, and vanishes. We'll call this Position A.
    3. Aircraft is picked up some time later by PRIMARY radar, quite a fair distance west of Position A, in a position we will now call Position B
    4. We're now trying to figure out how the aircraft got from A to B, undetected, and without the (dare I mention it?) ......... ACARS thingymebob transmitting any information in the transit?

As I said, I might well be as lost as the plane is at this stage, but I'm trying to get my head around the whole thing!!!

Growler!!! wrote: »
    He may not wish to overly identify himself/herself.

Oh I know I stated he didn't have to I was just asking about systems, which I don't believe is overlying Identify yourself, if he doesn't wish to respond thats fine as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

fits wrote: »
    Again from pprune. Unverified

Rumours has it that...

Quote:
    The US Embassy in Beijing claims that USAF Base at U-Tapao in Thailand monitored a distress call from Malaysia Airlines MH370 at 2.43 am. The pilot said that the cabin was starting to break apart and he was making a forced landing. Malaysia Airlines were notified.

According to Chinese news reports. Translated provided by: JeezCanada comments on China Times reports that "the U.S. Embassy said the 2:43 U.S. military bases stationed in Thailand U-Tapao SOS signal was listening to some of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 emergency call, said the aircraft cabin facing disint

EXTREMELY UNCONFIRMED RUMOUR!

Why would it take so long for this to come to public attention?

Don't know. Its probably not true. Aren't us searchers concentrated in Malacca strait?

I don't know if that latest report makes sense. Apologies if it is false.

Just on Sky there one of the passengers on stolen passports who was headed to Frankfurt via Beijing, there Mother was waiting for them in Frankfurt - So definitely those two passengers with stolen passports can all but be now confirmed as just asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

fits wrote: »
    I don't know if that latest report makes sense. Apologies if it is false.

No it's interesting, and not that impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

irishmover wrote: »
    If the Angle of Attack sensors failed at the same time when the plane is levelled off at cruise altitude, would it be possible for the plane to stall even though it was at cruise altitude and not climbing whilst in auto pilot ofcourse.

It's an unlikely theory more a question about whether Angle of Attack sensors could cause a cruising 777 to stall.

A 320 crashed just before af447 due to ice forming jamming the aoa. Caused by using pressurised water to clean the aircraft . Aircraft just dived.

Advertisement