Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

and then you get this article saying they don't know for sure whether it did turn back

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/military-cant-say-definitively-whether-missing-jet-flew-west-n49761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

fits wrote: »
    and then you get this article saying they don't know for sure whether it did turn back

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/military-cant-say-definitively-whether-missing-jet-flew-west-n49761

Me head is mithered to be honest! I can not imagine how those poor relatives are feeling right now. Not a clue what's going on at all. It seems cruel to keep them in the dark. Perhaps they have good reason for not being entirely transparent with the info they share, but I dunno.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Animord wrote: »
    From CNN, not sure of veracity of this, of course.

That story is based on an "Malaysian Air Force official who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media"

That CNN story is not in any way confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Taking the piss on a forum where we have 239 missing people and using accusations then to ask idiotic questions, is not my opinion of humour.

Yeah, like I'm sure all the vic's families are scanning boards.ie for latest rumours about alien abductions and flight dicks etc.

You'd swear you were some sort of aviation guru the way you keep googling aviation buzzwords and throwing them up here willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

relaxed wrote: »
    Yeah, like I'm sure all the vic's families are scanning boards.ie for latest rumours about alien abductions and flight dicks etc.

You'd swear you were some sort of aviation guru the way you keep googling aviation buzzwords and throwing them up here willy nilly.

Attack the post not the the poster.

Warnings from the weekend still in effect. Off topic= ban

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

sopretty wrote: »

I wouldn't see any harm in a pilot having a randomer in the cockpit. !

Ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I recall that episode of ACI pretty mental stuff.

Crap!! I have suddenly changed my mind! Gosh, 75 lives lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I recall that episode of ACI pretty mental stuff.

THe Wikipedia summary table for that incident says "untrained minor in command of controls". Never thought I'd see that for a commercial airliner accident :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I haven't followed every theory in this thread but I was wondering if the following could be plausible?

If some one gained control of the aircraft and disabled the main beacon that the plane uses and then took the plane down to a low altitude where regular radar couldn't pick it up. Could you in theory fly this sort of plane far enough away before being detectable again?

Also is radar capable of Determing altitude as well as position or do you need the aircraft to tell you that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Stab in the dark; What about it being hijacked and landed on an old disused WWII airfield in the Malaysian jungle?

reason unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The Tomnod effort is incredible. Amazing to think that I'm helping to search for this aircraft from my sofa.

Really hope to many people don't abuse it, or that they have a way to deal with abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

fits wrote: »

And from that same article a flightradar24 screen shot of the last known position of MAS370 complete with data, all valid except for altitude, indicating a partial instrumentation breakdown shortly before the blackout.

140308-malasian-map-js-0406_3bbe12c5b7a02949dca84fa38dfb61c8.nbcnews-ux-640-360.jpg

You will need to zoom in to read the data. Is there some flightradar guru out there who can tell us how long this zero altitude reading was present in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

keith16 wrote: »
    The Tomnod effort is incredible. Amazing to think that I'm helping to search for this aircraft from my sofa.

Really hope to many people don't abuse it, or that they have a way to deal with abuse.

How would people abuse it? Like tagging blank areas, or not really check the images?

It's amazing, I've looked at nearly 1,000 now and found quite a few things - mostly boats I think. Found an oil rig too. No planes unfortunately! They mentioned earlier today that they're updating their images to include the newer search areas to the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Is there some flightradar guru out there who can tell us how long this zero altitude reading was present in this case?

FR playback below.

Is it me or did the Aircraft ascend to FL350 very fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

yeahimhere wrote: »
    How would people abuse it? Like tagging blank areas, or not really check the images?

Yeah I guess people could submit false sightings. If they have a good analytics engine, I suspect they will be able to filter out the noise and the useful data they receive will be corroborated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

keith16 wrote: »

Server seems to be overloaded at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Get you now, I don't think anyone would knowingly abuse the site (I hope!). But people seem to get over excited. If you look at Tomnod's Facebook / twitter feed everyone seems to think they've found the wreckage when it's quite clearly a boat / clouds.

Edit: To prove my point - someone was convinced this was the plane;

0qt3.jpg

I can't get on at all but I might wait until traffic calms down a bit anyway. I'm also on a tablet which isn't ideal. This might be going on a long time going by the size of potential search area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

OK, I know nothing about navigation and aircraft systems and I might be simplifying this but my phone knows its location to within a few meters. Why doesn't the black box have a similar GPS device?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Could the plane have been stolen? Are 777's valuable?

OK, I know nothing about navigation and aircraft systems and I might be simplifying this but my phone knows its location to within a few meters. Why doesn't the black box have a similar GPS device?

I feel like the blind leading the blind here, but in the absence of commentary by someone qualified to answer your question, it would be appear to be for the following reasons:

A) No need for it really, as air-crafts rarely need to be tracked using black box.
    B) Eh........... what was the question again?
    C) We don't know why. It's a logical question, but since we're pilots here, we don't want to tell you why.

Honestly, I haven't a notion why. You might get some explanations which discuss cost, range and water damage etc., but I'm not you'll get an accurate or satisfacory answer. Hope that helps! :pac:

arctictree wrote: »
    Could the plane have been stolen? Are 777's valuable?

Saw one going for 900 there on Donedeal a few weeks ago.

very small point, that bothers me, and it shouldnt, but in the pic of the two guys they released, why do they both have the same legs?? I mean, if they only had a pic of him from waist up, why not just show it? why add the other guys legs to the picture??

It looks like they cropped a pic of one of them, and added it to the other.

Looks like a bad photoshop.

Jake1 wrote: »
    very small that bothers me, and it shouldnt, but in the pic of the two guys they released, why do they both have the same legs?? I mean, if they only had a pic of him from waist up, why not just show it? why add the other guys legs to the picture??

It looks like they cropped a pic of one of them, and added it to the other.

Looks like a bad photoshop.

It's a case of 'Well this story has certainly grown legs!'

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

EI-DOR wrote: »
    FR playback below.

Is it me or did the Aircraft ascend to FL350 very fast?

Remember you are watching at 12x normal speed.

But why mess with youtube when you can use the real thing? This sequence starts at UTC17:17. The zero altitude reading start at 17:21, stays on the screen for all of 17:22 and we disappear as the clock changes to 17:23. note also the sudden heading change from 25 to 40 degrees. Now this may have been single final squawk or was it a series of squawks.. cue the expert..

Question for the aviators here, please.

Regarding Captain Shahs simulator, would that record stuff he had been doing on it? Would there be any point in anyone examining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

The aircraft has 3 GPS devices (and loads of other navigation devices) that know their location to within a few meters too. Like when you've misplaced your phone, and you're out of cellular range, it knowing where it is, is of no use to you. Same with the aircraft. The FDR and CVR are equipped with a locator that gives out a 'ping' that can be picked up, but nobody seems to have heard anything yet (probably out or range, or FDR and CVR are damaged / destroyed) and the ELTs also transmit a signal that overflying aircraft should be able to hear, but again, no reports of anything. The ELT's will only be heard by fairly near aircraft, and only transmit for a short time - we've probably lost that window at this stage.

• Advertisement

sopretty wrote: »
    Saw one going for 900 there on Donedeal a few weeks ago.

Ha reminds me of this headline on WWN last week ��
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/03/07/nasa-hire-irish-travelers-to-collect-orbiting-space-debris/

Advertisement