Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Remember after the BA 777 grass strip landing the media found a picture of the F/O with his tie around his forehead in a hotel room drinking with cabin crew.

Without context an individual event looks suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Remember after the BA 777 grass strip landing the media found a picture of the F/O with his tie around his forehead in a hotel room drinking with cabin crew.

Without context an individual event looks suspicious.

idk allowing women into the cockpit during mid-flight to flirt and chat just shows poor professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They seem to be easily distracted..

A load of irrelevant bollox dug up by some arse rag to sell papers.
    Terrorist angle has worn out, now onto the crew, there's plenty of things they could write about that would be worthy of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

idk allowing women into the cockpit during mid-flight to flirt and chat just shows poor professionalism.

Yeah I think between that and someone drinking in a hotel and whatever, is a whole world of difference! Probably goes on on planes more than we'd like to think I fear..people will always be like this, crack down completely for a while (say shortly after 9/11) then become lax again. Someone like a terrorist group waits until all is too laid back again - personally I value lives far more than convienience or 'harmless fun'.
    Apologies for the mini rant.

Yes indeed so it seems. The smoking bit would appear to be unprofessional but what are the regs in Malaysia, maybe they are still allowed to smoke.

Are the two ladies travelling on staff tickets? Positioning crew perhaps. My crowd allow those on staff tickets to use the cockpit jump seat if no cabin seats are available.

Who knows it's out of context and gives only one side of the story.

Or they the F/O may be a dirtbird. Who knows I'm just putting it out there for balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

If the military primary track was indeed MH370 having turned around, I fear the aircraft tragically may never be found. There is only one reason I can think of as to why a perfectly functioning triple7 would have made a u-turn having lost transponder functionality (more likely transponder switched off). If it was simply a faulty transponder, no pilot would alter his course to that extent without alerting ATC. It makes no sense. No distress call either? The whole thing is just weird. If it was simply a technical fault with the aircraft, the sequence of events do not add up in my opinion. It still has unlawful interference written all over it. Finding out by whom could be the best way of finding out where that aircraft was headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I don't know, I'd say the first one is mid-flight:

Reminds me of the Aeroflot flight that crashed when the pilot allowed his children to fly the plane.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593 this one? The transcript of that is one of the most shocking things I've read in a long time. Between this and a comment on that article with the photo saying such behaviour is common, I'm quickly developing a fear of flying! I'm trying not to catastrophise but what the hell is going on here?! No wonder pilots don't want cameras on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A guy from the NTSB was interviewed today and he was still putting out the possibility of the plane being hijacked. But surely the flight crew would have had time to send an alert and also the ACARS data would have continued to send info. I do not think the ACARS can be switched off but maybe someone in the know can confirm. Also if it had been hijacked why would they fly back into primary radar area?
    If the plane did fly low around the Malacca Strait it would be interesting to see if any mobile phones attempted to connect to a tower.
    Is radar recorded. I mean did the authorities note the plane on the primary radar or were they checking back later on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

They seem to be easily distracted..

What, because they pose for a few photos with people?

What absolutely disgusting gutter journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah I think between that and someone drinking in a hotel and whatever, is a whole world of difference! Probably goes on on planes more than we'd like to think I fear..people will always be like this, crack down completely for a while (say shortly after 9/11) then become lax again. Someone like a terrorist group waits until all is too laid back again - personally I value lives far more than convienience or 'harmless fun'.
    Apologies for the mini rant.

Clearly it's not ideal, or cockpits would be a bit like pieces of art on display in a museum which passengers could view at will. I think it is low journalism to highlight ONE occasion where a pilot or two, were a wee bit lax with the rules.. Particularly in relation to a lost flight, with 239 potential deaths and where the poor guy could equally have been sitting completely engrossed in the work he was doing for all anybody knows!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Terrorist angle has worn out, now onto the crew, there's plenty of things they could write about that would be worthy of paper.

I don't think it's irrelevant. The main job of the First Officer is to monitor the instruments. You can't do that if your turned around for most of the flight, smoking and flirting with some teenager girls.

sopretty wrote: »
    Clearly it's not ideal, or cockpits would be a bit like pieces of art on display in a museum which passengers could view at will. I think it is low journalism to highlight ONE occasion where a pilot or two, were a wee bit lax with the rules.. Particularly in relation to a lost flight, with 239 potential deaths and where the poor guy could equally have been sitting completely engrossed in the work he was doing for all anybody knows!!!!!!!

Oh I wasn't questioning their focus on the job at all - more letting anyone else in the cockpit at all. But then we're only going on what the journos have told us..the women could be the CEOs daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

kona wrote: »
    Totally agree.To be honest those pics look far from cosy or flirty to me and may have been taken before or after the flight imo.
    To be honest in this particular situation I would think that anyone that would normally be taken in by the usual dirt that is dug up may not be due to the awful situation that has/is taking place.

I don't think it's irrelevant. The main job of the First Officer is to monitor the instruments. You can't do that if your turned around for most of the flight, smoking and flirting with some teenager girls.

But there is no proof they were mid flight is there, Im open to correction, but I thought it was just the words of the two ladies, who may or may not be getting paid by rags.

That picture could have been taken before or after the flight.

Colser wrote: »
    Totally agree.To be honest those pics look far from cosy or flirty to me and may have been taken before or after the flight imo.
    To be honest in this particular situation I would think that anyone that would normally be taken in by the usual dirt that is dug up may not be due to the awful situation that has/is taking place.

I was trying to argue that point, but eh.... well, we won't mention where that landed me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

do you honestly think that smoking in an aircraft wouldn't trigger a fire alarm? That flight attendants and other passengers wouldn't say a word?

martinsvi wrote: »
    do you honestly think that smoking in an aircraft wouldn't trigger a fire alarm? That flight attendants and other passengers wouldn't say a word?

Personally no. Has such a thing been suggested?

Have a close look at the two pictures. The most incriminating one shows the CAPTAIN ( 4 bars, left seat) with the girls. Can't see anything in the background so could be still on stand.

Second picture shows the 4 people standing in what looks like the jetway. Maybe before, maybe after the flight. Again we can't really accuse the F/O of anything other than standing beside the ladies. He looks quite uncomfortable actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

sopretty wrote: »
    Personally no. Has such a thing been suggested?

sorry, I wasn't replying to you, but people who apparently believe this rubbish about two girls in the cockpit during the flight, smoking on board etc.. that should be taken elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-jet.html?_r=1&referrer=
    The Malaysians don't seem certain that the aircraft deviated west of the country.

• Advertisement

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Have a close look at the two pictures. The most incriminating one shows the CAPTAIN ( 4 bars, left seat) with the girls. Can't see anything in the background so could be still on stand.

Second picture shows the 4 people standing in what looks like the jetway. Maybe before, maybe after the flight. Again we can't really accuse the F/O of anything other than standing beside the ladies. He looks quite uncomfortable actually.

The FO took the photo, who was flying the plane??

martinsvi wrote: »

Cigarette smoke will only set off the normal household smoke detectors used in the toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

The posts on here and the media reporting in general has become so sensationalised and uneducated that I've stopped watching and reading.
    Seriously, some of the stuff is so wide of the mark and ridiculous.

The FO took the photo, who was flying the plane??

Really? How do you know that.

Was the aircraft in flight when the photo was taken? How can you tell?

The posts on here and the media reporting in general has become so sensationalised and uneducated that I've stopped watching and reading.

That's what people do when waiting and without the use of a crystal ball.

Well, in the absence of anyone with some sort of expert knowledge, we're all a wee bit lost! If you have knowledge to bring to bear, particularly to debunk any notions us non-experts might propose, then please please please help us in understanding this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Whether the media is sensationalising it or not who knows. Personally I do not believe anyone should be brought into the cockpit. Given that the two flight crew are responsible for a plane missing with a couple of hundred onboard it is inevitable their lives and recent events are going to be scrutinised.

Some interesting theory by the Examiner....lots of Cloaking Device stuff, yes, its bordering Conspiracy Theory stuff, but, truth is stranger than fiction at times, anyway, some of you may fancy a read of it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/malaysia-jet-hidden-by-electronic-weaponry-20-ew-defense-linked-passengers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescale_Semiconductor

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/12/17/invisible-planes-china-us-race-for-cloaking-tech.html

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dr.Tom

There was a theory from an ex-pilot just on Sky News now. A guy with 30 years experience suggested they may have de-pressurised,set the heading for home and then ran out of fuel somewhere over the Indian ocean after they all passed out.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

There's no rule against speculation or even sensationalism in here. If it strays off topic or someone posts something that breaks the forum charter sure we can moderate it. But there's nothing we can do to stop it becoming some kind of tabloid news ticker, look at similar discussions across the web and previous incidents discussed on Boards, everyone has an opinion and a fact-researcher on hand in this day and age. Curiosity and the lack of progress with the search drives many minds into overdrive...

Advertisement