Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Dr.Tom wrote: »
    There was a theory from an ex-pilot just on Sky News now. A guy with 30 years experience suggested they may have de-pressurised,set the heading for home and then ran out of fuel somewhere over the Indian ocean after they all passed out.....

Which is plausible. Coupled with the reported descent (which Sky News didn't show).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

sopretty wrote: »
    Well, in the absence of anyone with some sort of expert knowledge, we're all a wee bit lost! If you have knowledge to bring to bear, particularly to debunk any notions us non-experts might propose, then please please please help us in understanding this!

The problem is that the lack of understanding is so deep, that I could sit here and type for the next year and not even scratch the surface.

To have complete amateurs sit behind their computers and pass judgement on something they have absolutely no clue about is infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The problem is that the lack of understanding is so deep, that I could sit here and type for the next year and not even scratch the surface.

To have complete amateurs sit behind their computers and pass judgement on something they have absolutely no clue about is infuriating.

I think pprune would cater more for your taste - not so much mixing with the plebs :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I just watched a Sky News report about the accident there. They were talking to a retired pilot and he discussed the possibility of the plane depressurising and the pilots losing consciousness, á la what happened to the Helios flight. He said the plane would have had enough fuel to have crashed as far off course as in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Really? How do you know that.

Was the aircraft in flight when the photo was taken? How can you tell?

“Throughout the whole flight they were talking to us, they were actually smoking through the flight which I don’t think they’re allowed to be doing. They were taking photos with us in the cockpit while they were flying. I was just completely shocked.” http://nypost.com/2014/03/11/co-pilot-of-missing-airliner-invited-blond-beauty-into-cockpit/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Ok, ok, I get that.

I have tried to remain cognisant of the fact that this is essentially an expert forum in terms of what is discussed here ordinarily.
    I understand that it has been dumbed down considerably for people with little or no knowledge of the technology or physics involved. (Moi! :cool:).
    I suppose, if you would like to keep it strictly confined to people who have some notion what they're talking about, then just politely ask us (or me at least) to leave.
    I've said it earlier in the thread, that I hate being the person asking stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

“Throughout the whole flight they were talking to us, they were actually smoking through the flight which I don’t think they’re allowed to be doing. They were taking photos with us in the cockpit while they were flying. I was just completely shocked.” http://nypost.com/2014/03/11/co-pilot-of-missing-airliner-invited-blond-beauty-into-cockpit/

Oh, well case closed. There it is printed in the New York Post no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dr.Tom wrote: »
    There was a theory from an ex-pilot just on Sky News now. A guy with 30 years experience suggested they may have de-pressurised,set the heading for home and then ran out of fuel somewhere over the Indian ocean after they all passed out.....

But why was there no communications, I mean radar, beacons, blips etc.? Im not an aviator, but I'm sure you know what i mean.

That's the puzzle for me. Would depressurisation knock out all the communication systems just like that? This plane disappeared off the face of the earth, no trace, no mayday, no tracking, no eyewitnesses, no nothing.

But why was there no communications, I mean radar, beacons, blips etc.? Im not an aviator, but I'm sure you know what i mean.

That's the puzzle for me. Would depressurisation knock out all the communication systems just like that? This plane disappeared off the face of the earth, no trace, no mayday, no tracking, no eyewitnesses, no nothing.

It's a meestery!

Pixie heads. Couldn't trust them.

NyPost is the equivelant of the Daily News or The Enquirer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How long do the pilots have access to oxygen in the event of depressurisation?

Ok, ok, I get that.

I have tried to remain cognisant of the fact that this is essentially an expert forum in terms of what is discussed here ordinarily.
    I understand that it has been dumbed down considerably for people with little or no knowledge of the technology or physics involved. (Moi! :cool:).
    I suppose, if you would like to keep it strictly confined to people who have some notion what they're talking about, then just politely ask us (or me at least) to leave.
    I've said it earlier in the thread, that I hate being the person asking stupid questions.

In fairness to eatmyshorts, and if he doesn't mind me speaking on his behalf for a moment, I think they types of posts that are annoying are the:

"they should have found it by now"
    "planes are big and map on my screen is small, but not find?"
    "my phone has google maps, why not plane?"
    "look, the pilots are smiling in the photos and then plane crash, lyk if you cry"

There are of course many others like yourself who are willing to learn and accept or try to understand the reasons that this aircraft is still missing, and it is evident that eatmyshorts has been happy to help in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I don't think it's irrelevant. The main job of the First Officer is to monitor the instruments. You can't do that if your turned around for most of the flight, smoking and flirting with some teenager girls.

Cop on there's two girls on the flight deck how do you know

A) they ain't travelling crew
    B) the aircraft is in the air
    C) could be related
    D) actually asked to see the flight deck, if it was two fellas would you be as outraged?

Modern aircraft fly themselves , yes the pilots monitor instruments, but the whole two minutes it takes to show somebody the flight deck isn't a issue. If something serious happens you get a alarm and a light. If that happens you can go back and deal with the problem.

It's irrelevant **** that's there to sell papers and fill a few hours on 24/7 news channels. Tbh it ain't far off anchorman 2.

This kinda **** is the reason aviation stuff is kept in the industry, the general public don't have a notion and are just waiting to act shocked.

Back in the days of flight engineers and navigators there was no problem visiting the flight deck, I visited a ei 747 flight deck. If it was no problem then with twice the workload then I can't see it being a issue on a 777. It's when you let your child take control of the aircraft like the Aeroflot incident, then you can be shocked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I am someone with no clue but crew parents from the days things were written on blackboards and loads of free empty plane weekends away as a teenager.

I am puzzled about the mobile phones, do they ping off the nearest mast or a satellite?

Some passengers do not turn off their phones, surely there is a way of pinpointing the last known ping (I saw the post that some phones are set to ring when they are powered off, I do not believe it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Oh for God sake. I've taken heaps of photographs while flying. It doesn't mean I'm not monitoring whats going on. We're not up there sitting bolt upright with our eyes glued to the screens, hands poised on the controls for the entire duration of the flight. If we were, it would actually be detrimental to the safety of the flight. It's just not possible to operate at that heightened level of awareness/stress for the entire duration of a long flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Fair enough. Hands up I didn't read the first story. But I object to the randy pilot bit. That's kind of a given:D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

go to glendalough lake and throw one grain of sand into it anywhere without telling anyone, when the grain of sand hits the water is gonna disperse into thousands of smaller pieces making it even harder to see and now go and let people find it, it's gonna take a while

The plane losing pressure doesnt explain it disappearing off radar though does it?.. would have that much of an affect on all the electrics? thats the puzzling part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Im a complete amateur but Im certainly not passing judgement on anyone here be they experts or amateurs. I think what the experts are frustated at is the actual situation unfolding..at the moment there seems to be no concrete explation for it and that must be pretty frustrating for people that are in the avition profession (and us amateurs totally empathise with that).
    The thing is that if us amateurs didnt post our clueless comments /querys there would be very little happening here as the professionals seem to be as puzzled as we are which is quite frightening to be honest.

kona wrote: »

Modern aircraft fly themselves , yes the pilots monitor instruments, but the whole two minutes it takes to show somebody the flight deck isn't a issue. If something serious happens you get a alarm and a light. If that happens you can go back and deal with the problem.

Maybe so, but is the little show and tell more important than the flight in general? I'd prefer it not to happen purely on principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

How long do the pilots have access to oxygen in the event of depressurisation?

I our company it's 120 minutes on partial pressure O2

fr336 wrote: »
    Maybe so, but is the little show and tell more important than the flight in general? I'd prefer it not to happen purely on principle.

I'm sure everyone would like everything to be perfect in an ideal world. It's wrong to discredit a guy's personality and professionalism in a situation where the guy is now actually possibly dead. Especially, when it is not proven, and it may have no relevance to the current situation!!

I'm sure everyone would like everything to be perfect in an ideal world. It's wrong to discredit a guy's personality and professionalism in a situation where the guy is now actually possibly dead. Especially, when it is not proven, and it may have no relevance to the current situation!!

I'm talking generally. There's been no solid proof in relation to that specific pilot that the situation was in the air at all.

Colser wrote: »
    The thing is that if us amateurs didnt post our clueless comments /querys there would be very little happening here as the professionals seem to be as puzzled as we are which is quite frightening to be honest.

Come off it. So a few anonymous internet questions is the driving force behind a massive international search mission?

What are you expecting exactly? A machine has stopped working the way it was designed and you expect someone to have answers? Without any evidence? Evidence that is currently missing in an OCEAN?

Genuine question, does an oxygen mask drop down in the flight deck in the event of depressurisation? Or do the pilots have to look for the oxygen masks?

We as pax are always told to place the mask over mouth and nose, and put your own on first, then the kids.

Otherwise, if it's only seconds, what's the point of oxygen masks in cattle class, if the flight crew pass out first.

I hope it's all sorted now after the recent tragedy with hypoxia, Helios I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Does oxygen need to be electrically pumped in the event of depressurisation?

My theory is that there was a catastrophic electrical failure caused by depressurisation or the other way around, but crew did their utmost to land, first at KL, but failed to find it, and then in the sea.
    A successful intact water landing, but then all were unconscious or too weak to get out.

and it just sunk intact and that's why there is no wreckage

thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Genuine question, does an oxygen mask drop down in the flight deck in the event of depressurisation? Or do the pilots have to look for the oxygen masks?

We as pax are always told to place the mask over mouth and nose, and put your own on first, then the kids.

Otherwise, if it's only seconds, what's the point of oxygen masks in cattle class, if the flight crew pass out first.

I hope it's all sorted now after the recent tragedy with hypoxia, Helios I think.

Are you not told to put your own mask on first?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tegerman

Its starting to lean towards a personal mission by one of the flight crew. Malaysian military radar apparently picked it up flying across the Malacca strait. Either the transponder and the radio both somehow failed at exactly the same time, but flight controls were left intact and the crew were trying to find an alternate landing location, or one of the crew managed to get complete control and crashed the plane intentionally, turning off the transponder and diverting far off course to reduce the chance of wreckage being found. Is it possible for flight crew to disable the CVR and FDR?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Are you not told to put your own mask on first?

Yes, I just edited that, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I our company it's 120 minutes on partial pressure O2

But I believe the passengers only have access to oxygen for 20 mins. Is that right?

Advertisement