Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

if it was Hijacked by a terrorist organisation, they wouldn't want to own up because they may stillw ant to use the airplane to deliver a bomb or crash into something.

Eg. North Korea has been developing their long range missiles but they're pure rubbish, they can't touch US soil. BUT, if they were to load a big old dirty bomb on an innocent looking 777 and fly a route bound for US soil (or wherever) and detonate over washington or manhattan...

North Korea could deal with the passengers, hiding the plane, refueling, re-using, etc.

I'm just saying it's a possibility.

That sounds more like a conspiracy theory to me. North Korea are painted as idiots but they're clever enough to rachet things up just enough to get things done their way; then they never actually do anything.

I think, just maybe, someone would spot a stray 777 become visible and especially going into US airspace somehow.

Plus where's the big idea that NK are yet another big bad enemy of the US? They don't like many countries, especially those given them bother. They're not exactly Al Queda when it comes to 'Death to America though' Western propaganda don't you love it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the live press conference now is pretty heated...they look clueless. its beyond a joke at this stage.

having the fuel is one thing, the ability to use it is another. the amount of time this plane spent in the air, after is last known position, is very short. the most logical explanation here apart from deliberate sabotage is that a fire broke out on board, disabled all communication means and the plane eventually broke up and fell to the sea.

If a fire broke out they would have been able to declare a emergency. Other than that I'd say the aircraft either broke up or was blown out of the sky.

The longer this goes on the more of a cover up it seems. They can't be THAT incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

another possible cause that ive seen rarely mentioned is cargo, maybe something stored went on fire?

regarding the search, there is over 80 search vessels out there now...that is insane. at this stage, if they dont get it found pretty soon, it means they are looking completely in the wrong area. if that letter posted this morning is true, it would suggest indeed they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You can bet the Yanks already know what happened if it is all a cover up, what with their spying on every person on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

another possible cause that ive seen rarely mentioned is cargo, maybe something stored went on fire?

regarding the search, there is over 80 search vessels out there now...that is insane. at this stage, if they dont get it found pretty soon, it means they are looking completely in the wrong area. if that letter posted this morning is true, it would suggest indeed they are.

What letter is that?
    Missed press conference earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The pilot started up a cult and took them all away somewhere. Possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Tow

kona wrote: »
    If a fire broke out they would have been able to declare a emergency.

Did you see this post from Jack1985 : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89389005&postcount=930

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Okay, this is kinda a conspiracy theory but my question is if the following is feasable;

Would the Pilot be capable of stealing the Plane? (for financial gain, family kidnapped, threatened, etc.)

He is/was one of the most experienced pilots with the airline, familiar with all of the aircrafts systems. He would have known where the fuse for the transponder is. He had a simulator which he could get lots of practice with - say, landing on random, short runways, flying certain routes, knowing where air currents are, etc.

All he would have to do is disable his co-pilot and he has free range on what to do and where to go. He could have been flying to North Korea or Central Russia and the passengers wouldnt have had a clue.

He could just make an announcment that he's getting interference in cockpit from mobile phones, reminding them to be switched off. Then make a second more serious announcment about them, even get stewardesses to monitor phone use in the cabin.

He lands the plane on a runway run by whatever terrorist organisation, people disembark and think "hmm, this doesn't look like china, and why are there lots of people with guns here"

etc...

But, ANYWHO, would it not be possible for the Pilot to have stolen the plane if he wanted to?

an airports radar only has a range of about 60 miles, that's all that an airport is interested in; their immediate airspace. The pilot is the navigator when in radar dead areas....

He was off course by a few hundred miles... just sayin'

:pac::pac::pac:

fr336 wrote: »
    You can bet the Yanks already know what happened if it is all a cover up, what with their spying on every person on the planet.

Well planes have been shot down, the yanks shot down a Iranian jet in the straights of Hormuz and the Russians shot down a Korean aircraft.
    The authorities definatley know more than they are letting on. The FAA and NTSB are keeping very quiet.
    Like they Havnt ruled out the biggest red flag IMO , maintenance visit on 24 feb, and the damage to the wing it suffered. These two events I'd be all over if I was investigating it.
    Usually such sudden loss is caused by failure of the fuselage, either it breaks up from a structures point of view or it's caused by a explosion either accidental or deliberate.

On the fire theory , yea it could have caught fire but there are so many fire systems and detection, the chances of one occurring an going unnoticed to the point of bringing the plane down before a mayday, is so very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

This has played a huge part in the confusion thus exciting the tin foil hat brigade.

Failing to manage MH370 crisis exposes leadership limit - See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/failing-to-manage-mh370-crisis-exposes-leadership-limit#sthash.eAlZ4npo.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

if it was Hijacked by a terrorist organisation, they wouldn't want to own up because they may stillw ant to use the airplane to deliver a bomb or crash into something.

Eg. North Korea has been developing their long range missiles but they're pure rubbish, they can't touch US soil. BUT, if they were to load a big old dirty bomb on an innocent looking 777 and fly a route bound for US soil (or wherever) and detonate over washington or manhattan...

North Korea could deal with the passengers, hiding the plane, refueling, re-using, etc.

I'm just saying it's a possibility.

my thoughts are that depressurisation occured, pilots passed out, autopilot continued on some random course, smack into ocean.

That or some military (vietnamise, malaysian, etc.) saw an aircraft in their airspace (it was hundreds of miles off course) and they shot it down are are now being very shy about owning up because of the reprucssions.

The USA have NK under extremely heavy surveillance. I seriously doubt it would be possible for them to slip in a 777 without the Americans, Chinese, Japanese or even the South Koreans noticing. I would bet a large mount of cash that there was no NK involvement.

Military aircraft don't just shoot down civilian aircraft. They would try to contact them from the ground first and if there was no response they might send up some aircraft to intercept and try and establish contact. Highly unlikely the military would have shot it down unless it was non responsive and heading directly for some major population centre.

Tow wrote: »

Well a oxygen fire would be like a welding torch, it has happend before but I'd say you would still get a warning /mayday.
    It would e disastrous but you'd still get a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I heard on Sky News yesterday that no matter what if the plane hit the ocean a beacon goes off that activates if it comes in contact with water & this was checked prior to the flight as normal with no faults found. So either it went down in an area where the beacon hasn't been spotted which would be extremely odd or the beacon was deactivated somehow which is very hard to do or the plane has landed somewhere & they have been taken hostage. A colleague just mentioned that people's phones were ringing out a day or two after it went missing has anyone else heard that? If that's the case it has to have landed somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

A colleague just mentioned that people's phones were ringing out a day or two after it went missing has anyone else heard that?

Yes, that was discussed a few pages back!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Yes, that was discussed a few pages back!

If the phones were ringing out could they not triangulate them? Or was that discussed? Couldnt find the pages you mentioned

Kunkka wrote: »
    I heard on Sky News yesterday that no matter what if the plane hit the ocean a beacon goes off that activates if it comes in contact with water & this was checked prior to the flight as normal with no faults found. So either it went down in an area where the beacon hasn't been spotted which would be extremely odd or the beacon was deactivated somehow which is very hard to do or the plane has landed somewhere & they have been taken hostage. A colleague just mentioned that people's phones were ringing out a day or two after it went missing has anyone else heard that? If that's the case it has to have landed somewhere....

All been covered, basically water is a terrible medium for the beacons signal. Really only useful if it crashed on the land.
    Water is the worst place to go down tbh doesn't help that it's happened in that part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Yeah sorry for dragging stuff up again I literally only started properly reading/listening about it last night. This is beyond bizarre...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

The ELT will be activated on impact, and will transmit a signal on a radio frequency. Unfortunately, radio waves do not travel well in water, so if it's underwater, it's pretty much useless.
    There's also a CVR and FDR which are activated by water and emit a sonar 'ping'. These will only work underwater, but you have to be very close to recieve the signal - it's more to narrow down the search for the recorders when you know where the wreckage is.

Edit - beat me to it Kona

Yeah sorry for dragging stuff up again I literally only started properly reading/listening about it last night. This is beyond bizarre...........

It's a load of bollox, the only thing consistent and expected is the absolute joke and incompetence of the two countries involved in this from handling the aircraft in it's airspace to searching for it. When you start another search the otherside of a fairly large landmass you have to wonder. Like a aircraft flying dub to Manchester going missing just after entering uk airspace then searching the Atlantic for it.
    Then releasing pictures fotoshopped by a 8 year old on paint and claiming terrorism and admitting to basically not checking passports. All while the only facts you know are the airplane took off and didn't land at it's destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

If the phones were ringing out could they not triangulate them? Or was that discussed? Couldnt find the pages you mentioned

It might have been more than a few pages back, can't find them either. Anyway it was discussed briefly and some posters mentioned that Asian Networks allow you to hear a ringing tone even though the phone may be switched off? I've never heard of anything of the sort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Just saw the press conference there, really is a disgrace on how they are handling it, the FAA warning about the 777 fuselage cracks and i quote from the CEO

"he could not guarantee that MH370 was checked for this precise problem following the November warning

Even if this has nothing to do with it he is not prepared for any of these questions...its an absoulute disgrace

Gator wrote: »
    Just saw the press conference there, really is a disgrace on how they are handling it, the FAA warning about the 777 fuselage cracks and i quote from the CEO

"he could not guarantee that MH370 was checked for this precise problem following the November warning

Even if this has nothing to do with it he is not prepared for any of these questions...its an absoulute disgrace

All he has to do is look at the paperwork, if the job was done there will be a work order with a name and a stamp and any findings if any.

If not done I'm sure it's in planning and can be searched for when it's due.

If the CEO can't guarantee that, as the responsible post holder then he's incompetent( hardly surprising tbh)

sopretty wrote: »
    There's something I've just picked up on now in one of the articles someone kindly linked:

One of the most eerie rumors came after a few relatives said they were able to call the cellphones of their loved ones or find them on a Chinese instant messenger service called QQ that indicated that their phones were still somehow online.

A migrant worker in the room said that several other workers from his company were on the plane, including his brother-in-law. Among them, the QQ accounts of three still showed that they were online, he said Sunday afternoon.

It's from this article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/vanished-malaysia-airlines-flight-leaves-relatives-with-anger-and-phantom-phone-calls/2014/03/10/fdb78642-a862-11e3-b61e-8051b8b52d06_story.html

Here's one post and a link to an article which mentions the ringing phones issue. A long way prior to this post, it was suggested that Asian telephone providers can set their phones to give a ringing tone, even though a phone may be off. However, there has been no confirmation in the media at least, that any of the service providers involved, have confirmed this. So, I dunno! Draw your own conclusions I guess!

Here's one post and a link to an article which mentions the ringing phones issue. A long way prior to this post, it was suggested that Asian telephone providers can set their phones to give a ringing tone, even though a phone may be off. However, there has been no confirmation in the media at least, that any of the service providers involved, have confirmed this. So, I dunno! Draw your own conclusions I guess!

Viber , Facebook etc can say people are online when they ain't, the location thing is very inaccurate and a fone ringing means nothing, when somebody answers then you can say wtf. Even so, my iPhone battery can hack 10 hours use so I doubt a passengers is still on, also, most people turn the fones off.

kona wrote: »
    Viber , Facebook etc can say people are online when they ain't, the location thing is very inaccurate and a fone ringing means nothing, when somebody answers then you can say wtf. Even so, my iPhone battery can hack 10 hours use so I doubt a passengers is still on, also, most people turn the fones off.

Yes, I was thinking that too. My Facebook friends must think I'm online day and night, as I just stay logged in on the laptop and don't power it off, so I probably show up as being online 24 hours a day! I was wondering whether it was a similar situation with the QQ thing. That maybe, they were still logged in on another device or something. Still strange though that 3 of them would be showing up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

But if you look at the first photo, you can see what looks to be clouds and the nose of the aircraft is pitched up, not flat as it would be on the ground...

Jake1 wrote: »
    Killer, if you scroll down the link, to picture two, you can clearly see they are on the ground

to the right of the pic, you can see other vehicles, and to the left, it looks like someone in a bright safety jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

The media are never as quick to debunk a story as they are to propagate one! My experience of networks in Asia is much different to what you expect here, and some networks do have wierd ways of dealing with connections, so 'ringing' phones doesn't surprise me. Especially when they only ring for a couple of seconds and are never answered.

As for social networks, I'm sure it's possible that some users signed in on the tablets or PCs at home and never signed off, this could continue to display them as 'online'.

I personally believe this whole area to be of no consequence to what's happened.

bohsfan wrote: »
    The media are never as quick to debunk a story as they are to propagate one! My experience of networks in Asia is much different to what you expect here, and some networks do have wierd ways of dealing with connections, so 'ringing' phones doesn't surprise me. Especially when they only ring for a couple of seconds and are never answered.

As for social networks, I'm sure it's possible that some users signed in on the tablets or PCs at home and never signed off, this could continue to display them as 'online'.

I personally believe this whole area to be of no consequence to what's happened.

We probably crossed posts, but yes, I am in agreement with you, two posts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

My mothers phoneline was down during the storm, snapped, physically on the ground.
    It rang like normal even though there was 100% NO phone attached.
    Where the ringtone was coming from, I don't know.
    Mobile may be different, but there's probably several technical reasons including cloned numbers, phones at home, system faults, monitoring. Many people use various discount services which give any type of ringtone.

QQ messengers could be installed on any number of other devices, just like whatsapp, meant to be on one mobile, but you can put it on laptops, ipads etc. Same with Skype on multiple devices. They act like one device.

So I wouldn't put too much weight in any devices responding unless a mobile phone company reports them pinging off a mast in a search area/sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

For fcuks sake its just gone silly now bringing in a "With Doctor" to look for the plane

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1447159/chinese-ridicule-malaysias-recruitment-witch-doctor-track-missing-plane

Advertisement