Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Aerohead wrote: »
    For fcuks sake its just gone silly now bringing in a "With Doctor" to look for the plane

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1447159/chinese-ridicule-malaysias-recruitment-witch-doctor-track-missing-plane

Is that the fella who said the elves dunnit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

For fcuks sake its just gone silly now bringing in a "With Doctor" to look for the plane
    cynics might suggest he should have been brought in earlier.:o

While they (M'sia) may be considered to have a good reputation, there is also a huge amount of face saving and bureaucracy and I said much earlier, they really are in an unprecedented situation where they should have called for experts to take over and manage a situation they have little experience of.
    eg Ireland - do you think we'd handle this any better without considerable assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

what about all the missing planes and ships that went missing in the Bermuda triangle... the US government at the time couldn't have done anymore and yet not a trace of any of them were found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

wil wrote: »
    My mothers phoneline was down during the storm, snapped, physically on the ground.
    It rang like normal even though there was 100% NO phone attached.

Mobile phones Aren't attached to a phone line, you cant compare the two.

on a separate point: The Speculations are getting crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

story emerging that the father of one of the passengers had a heart attack and (I think) has died....

thats a double disaster for that family, having to go through all this now....so tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

story emerging that the father of one of the passengers had a heart attack and (I think) has died....

thats a double disaster for that family, having to go through all this now....so tragic.

Awful news :(

Oh gosh, what a terrible loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

While they (M'sia) may be considered to have a good reputation, there is also a huge amount of face saving and bureaucracy and I said much earlier, they really are in an unprecedented situation where they should have called for experts to take over and manage a situation they have little experience of. .....
    This is Asia where face saving is a major problem. China is blaming Malaysia for the loss. While Malaysia having awful issues giving info to the media/public. And perhaps the Malaysian authorities are not comfortable with the pressure they are receiving from International media?

Lots of details not been given. ie How did ATC find communication with the flight deck of MH370? When was the last ATC instruction given and confirmed? Why are they looking on both sides of the peninsular? What automatic communications have been received from the aircraft after take-off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The witch doctor thing - for real ??

It's getting really nuts this story .. it could be that it will never be found ?

if the transponder is off for long enough and the search area becomes too great ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

cynics might suggest he should have been brought in earlier.:o

While they (M'sia) may be considered to have a good reputation, there is also a huge amount of face saving and bureaucracy and I said much earlier, they really are in an unprecedented situation where they should have called for experts to take over and manage a situation they have little experience of.
    eg Ireland - do you think we'd handle this any better without considerable assistance.
    Yes, we'd just call in the RAF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Mobile phones Aren't attached to a phone line, you cant compare the two.

on a separate point: The Speculations are getting crazy.
    My mothers phoneline was down during the storm, snapped, physically on the ground.
    It rang like normal even though there was 100% NO phone attached.
    Where the ringtone was coming from, I don't know.
    Mobile may be different, but there's probably several technical reasons including cloned numbers, phones at home, system faults, monitoring. Many people use various discount services which give any type of ringtone.
    snip
    So I wouldn't put too much weight in any devices responding unless a mobile phone company reports them pinging off a mast in a search area/sea.
    :confused:

on a separate point, speculation is only as is to be expected in the face of a dearth of solid information, possible misinformation, red herrings and aimless SAR.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Yes, we'd just call in the RAF.

We'd have to get Angela Merkel in to speak on behalf of the pixie heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

bangkok wrote: »
    what about all the missing planes and ships that went missing in the Bermuda triangle... the US government at the time couldn't have done anymore and yet not a trace of any of them were found

I am not going to research the ins and outs of the Bermuda triangle but I would imagine back then the electronic equipment on the planes, along with ground radar, satellites etc. was much more primitive.

This incident shows that planes and ships can just disappear, at the speed the plane was travelling it could be thousands of miles away in any direction given what scenarios are theoretically possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

worm hole :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You have the Asian equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle east of Japan called the Devil's Sea/Triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Arguably we've done okay in the past. Air India springs to mind and that was 28 years ago.

Which incidentally suggests that "in this day and age how can it happen" type arguments are misplaced. Sometimes you need luck and a very good early decision or a few.

Malaysia has had a lot of assistance but there are massive problems in that they don't necessarily control all the search area. Last time I checked there were vessels from 10 countries involved and the territory covered seems to include 3 if not 4 different countries. The coordination for that can only be one hell of a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Fishermen claim to have found a damaged life raft near Port Dickson.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-missing-mh370-font-fishermen-find-life-raft-near-pd-1.509222

Does it look like something that would be on a 777?

Iwannahurl wrote: »

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-missing-mh370-font-fishermen-find-life-raft-near-pd-1.509222

Quote from that article:

"When the MMEA boat arrived, the fishermen then handed over the raft into their custody.
    However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard."

WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Quote from that article:

"When the MMEA boat arrived, the fishermen then handed over the raft into their custody.
    However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard."

WTF???

I said the exact same when I read that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭GBX

So they managed to take pics first and not get it on their boat ... clever stuff lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Do planes carry enough liferafts for all passengers same as a ship must do?

Bit pointless I would have thought as catastrophic failures at 35000 ft does not lend itself to people jumping out and swimming to a liferaft.

Hudson incidents are rare and if it happens at takeoff or landing its probably near help anyway and everybody will have a lifejacket.

Never heard of a plane doing a Hudson from 35000 over mid atlantic??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

relaxed wrote: »

Bit pointless I would have thought as catastrophic failures at 35000 ft does not lend itself to people jumping out and swimming to a liferaft.

Hudson incidents are rare and if it happens at takeoff or landing its probably near help anyway and everybody will have a lifejacket.

Never heard of a plane doing a Hudson from 35000 over mid atlantic??

Aircraft like the 777 have to have sufficient capacity for all passengers, plus each life raft must be capable of holding more that it's fair share if you get my meaning. Can remember the numbers off hand. But yeah - it would be pretty rare to be able to use them. Just as a note - the A320 on the Hudson didn't have rafts, just slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Unlikely who paints a life raft black?

GBX wrote: »
    So they managed to take pics first and not get it on their boat ... clever stuff lads.

I fear for what will happen when wreckage is found. Probably sold as scrap straight away or some ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

relaxed wrote: »
    They usually have enough capacity in half of the rafts for a full passenger load. So to answer your question they have more than enough liferafts onboard.
    kona wrote: »
    The entry platform is usually grey or black. That definitely looks to be red/orange high visibility.

The photo was taken by the fishermen. The article states that they tied it to their own boat in order to get it to authorities. (Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency)

"We managed to tie it to our boat as we feared it would sink due to the damages," he said.
    When the MMEA boat arrived, the fishermen then handed over the raft into their custody.
    However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard.

These liftrafts are made of heavy rubber and if punctured and filled with water would be very heavy. Think 3 feet deep, 8 feet wide and approx 30 feet in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭GBX

kona wrote: »
    Looks like the underside is black ... the outer/upper layers are bright orange.

Looks like the underside is black ... the outer/upper layers are bright orange.

Well on airbus they are silver with a orange canopy :) dunno about Boeing but I'd imagine they ain't black

B.A 777 are silver too
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fSgKuYubNzI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Update on the Witch Doctor taken from pprune it really is a heart breaking for all those involved and then we sink so low to this.
    B772
    The Indian Government has been requested to join the search by the Malaysian Government. The Chinese are still critical of the SAR attempts by the Malaysians especially after a 'witch doctor' performed at KLIA to help find the aircraft using 2 coconuts. After the performance the 'witch doctor' said "I think the aircraft is still in the air or has crashed into the sea", what a legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Update on the Witch Doctor taken from pprune it really is a heart breaking for all those involved and then we sink so low to this.

Wow.

Advertisement