Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Have the Indians been asked to start searching off their Coast?

id bet alot of money, that this plane will be found, not far from its course..i think they are wasting their time looking so far away.

something happened, all comms were cut, they lost control and plummeted. the only way that it would have ended up so far away is a hijack.

David086 wrote: »
    Any word of when the last maintenance check was preformed? Anything show for it? Have heard no mention of it in the media and it would be the first thing I'd ask.

12 days before the incident....this could be vital and will be one of the first things checked if they ever find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Xenji wrote: »
    A Witch Doctor is nothing to be laughed at in Malaysia, they are one of the most superstitious countries in the world and the paranormal goes part and parcel with their culture, Witch Doctors are very highly regarded and respected among their people for all sorts of purposes.

When you think of it, it's no more odd than a fully garbed Bishop or priest blessing a boat or a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Happyman42 wrote: »
    When you think of it, it's no more odd than a fully garbed Bishop or priest blessing a boat or a plane.

Would there anything to be said for another Mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can understand how hard it is to find an aircraft when the potential crash area is so large, but my mind is utterly blown that not a single piece of debris has turned up anywhere in five days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Where there so many crazy conspirancy theories when AF447 disappeared?

I can understand how hard it is to find an aircraft when the potential crash area is so large, but my mind is utterly blown that not a single piece of debris has turned up anywhere in five days.

Sure they haven't a clue where its last known position was!!!!!! It's not like looking for a needle in a haystack, it's like looking for a needle in a field of haystacks! Except, you don't know which haystack to look in first!!!

It's all a complete shambles. The relatives are going through hell. I don't give two craps about Shamen or whatever they are. This is serious stuff, and they either need to tell people what they know, or not!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

sopretty wrote: »
    Would there anything to be said for another Mass?

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Unfortunately so.

And every wag on here thinking he was the first to make a 'lost' connection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

This is a huge media circus with reporters hanging around trying to get oportunistic photos, waiting for information from press conferences, reporters no doubt ready to hop on helicopters to fly wherever this story goes.
    Has any of our news organisations put a helicopter out on the search, surely sky or cnn could afford to put a couple of reporters in the air for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Yes. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580023

But as it turned out two pilots managed to fly the plane into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

2 stroke wrote: »
    This is a huge media circus with reporters hanging around trying to get oportunistic photos waiting for information from press conferences, reporters no doubt ready to hop on helicopters to fly wherever this story goes.
    Has any of our news organisations put a helicopter out on the search, surely sky or cnn could afford to put a couple of reporters in the air for a few days.

Our? Being in the UK I suppose Sky could be mine, but not Ireland's, and CNN..well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Still nothing found? How strange, must be horrible for the families

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How are they ours? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

This is a huge media circus with reporters hanging around trying to get oportunistic photos, waiting for information from press conferences, reporters no doubt ready to hop on helicopters to fly wherever this story goes.

Surely if everybody with a helicoptor went out looking they'd end up getting in each other's way?
    Probably best left to the coastguard and aviation experts.

Speaking of which, do RTE have anybody out there?
    South East Asia is lovely at this time of year

pilot with 40+ years experience on sky now and he is adamant that the transponder was turned off by somebody and that is the only explanation, he has never seen one fail.

very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

We propose to adopt a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain The Boeing Company Model 777 airplanes. This proposed AD was prompted by a report of cracking in the fuselage skin underneath the satellite communication (SATCOM) antenna adapter. This proposed AD would require repetitive inspections of the visible fuselage skin and doubler if installed, for cracking, corrosion, and any indication of contact of a certain fastener to a bonding jumper, and repair if necessary. We are proposing this AD to detect and correct cracking and corrosion in the fuselage skin, which could lead to rapid decompression and loss of structural integrity of the airplane.

Source: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/09/26/2013-23456/airworthiness-directives-the-boeing-company-airplanes

Starting to be reported in international news media.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/03/13/us-regulators-warned-problems-777s

EDIT: posted earlier.
    irishmover wrote: »
    So just heard another theory being discussed (haven't been following this closely so not sure if it was mentioned already).

Supposedly there was a crack found in a 777 fuselage not too long ago and it made a world wide safety issue which had all 777 checked??? Report was filed November 2013 by US Aviation authority.

Basically it was possible for this crack to cause decompression prior to break up and knock everyone on conscious. It could also cause all positional systems to not function with only primary radar being capable of providing location. Also apparently capable of disabling all communication systems aswell..

Is this possible or more media ****e..

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-us-issued-warnings-over-boeing-777s-20140312-hvhqz.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Sure they haven't a clue where its last known position was!!!!!!

This is incorrect.

They have two options on last known position, 1) where its transponder stopped communicating and 2) a possible sitting on military radar. That's what makes them known last positions. Unfortunately, the aircraft appears to be somewhere else again.

The problem they have is that the current position is unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Iwannahurl wrote: »

As the plane was recenently sent back to Boeing for repair I wonder did they also check for this?

Sure they haven't a clue where its last known position was!!!!!! It's not like looking for a needle in a haystack, it's like looking for a needle in a field of haystacks! Except, you don't know which haystack to look in first!!!

It's all a complete shambles. The relatives are going through hell. I don't give two craps about Shamen or whatever they are. This is serious stuff, and they either need to tell people what they know, or not!!!!

Of course they know where its last known position is. That's not the point - I'm well aware of the difference between the size of the planet and the size of an aircraft. I'm still surprised that not one piece of debris has floated within sight of a ship or a shoreline in five days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Calina wrote: »
    This is incorrect.

They have two options on last known position, 1) where its transponder stopped communicating and 2) a possible sitting on military radar. That's what makes them known last positions. Unfortunately, the aircraft appears to be somewhere else again.

A possible sighting isn't a known sighting.

The military radar sighting may or may not have been the missing plane.

fr336 wrote: »
    Our? Being in the UK I suppose Sky could be mine, but not Ireland's, and CNN..well.
    Did I ever claim to be Irish? By "our news organisations", I mean the larger news organisations that beam news into our homes. They are becoming more and more parasitic, waiting for information to come to them and rebroadcasting it. There are probably reporters following this thread, looking for something to report. By the time the "news" reaches our television and radio, its already old news. Its time for some investigative journalism, let them put a few reporters in the air and join the search, mayby chase down some of the floating debris reports (they probably have helicopters on standby anyway).

Thrill wrote: »
    A possible sighting isn't a known sighting.

The military radar sighting may or may not have been the missing plane.

This post sets me thinking. Could there be 2 planes involved? Could this radar blip be another plane, military or criminal, that clipped mh370, possibly taking out the transponder/electrical circuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The professionals, ie the pilots have largely left the forum....it seems.

Where are they squawking FGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Sometimes I can miss out on irony, so I have to ask. Are you being serious 2 stroke?

Calina wrote: »
    This is incorrect.

Well it's not exactly a 'known' position if there are two different positions!!!!!

donalh087 wrote: »
    Sometimes I can miss out on irony, so I have to ask. Are you being serious 2 stroke?
    Which post are you referring to? (I wasn't being serious in my Irish travellers post)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Yes. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580023

But as it turned out two pilots managed to fly the plane into the water.

I think that's a little unfair. It was a bit more complicated than that.

Basically, they have one position reported by some technology and an entirely different position reported by different technology. It is fair to say, they do not know its last known position!!!!

• Advertisement

Basically, they have one position reported by some technology and an entirely different position reported by different technology. It is fair to say, they do not know its last known position!!!!

Think about these words. By definition you always know an object's last known position.

Advertisement