Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

dude iv found other stuff their too

theres loads of pieces of stuff their

Yea if you work all around that location, you pick up quite a lot of "bits" whatever they may be.

I'm going to stop looking now though, it was nice to be part of the crowd sourcing at the beginning, and possibly I helped somewhat since I tagged parts of that area. But since they've possibly found the debris, I don't have enough morbid curiosity to keep looking. I'd be afraid of what I may pick up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

An oil worker tells phuqu he saw a plane on fire
    Villagers said they heard a plane crash
    Someone sees a boat on a Sat Image
    Someone else sees a white roundy thing on another Sat image
    "They" find a few bits in the water
    He heard this and that and saw that and this.........

....and so on.

As so many realists have already said, please lock this thread until something is revealed by anyone who knows what is going on. Then open for debate again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

pfurey101 wrote: »
    An oil worker tells phuqu he saw a plane on fire
    Villagers said they heard a plane crash
    Someone sees a boat on a Sat Image
    Someone else sees a white roundy thing on another Sat image
    "They" find a few bits in the water
    He heard this and that and saw that and this.........

....and so on.

As so many realists have already said, please lock this thread until something is revealed by anyone who knows what is going on. Then open for debate again.

What's your point?

That villagers and oil rig workers witness accounts are grounds for closing this thread?

How about stop back seat modding and don't read or comment on the thread if it upsets you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

They need to check the background of that pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Neeson wrote: »
    They need to check the background of that pilot.

Yeah I'm sure they haven't thought of that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

This pilot theory is a non-runner, love how that tool from Australia said she was upset to learn he was on the flight and was devastated for his family and then she goes and sells that crap!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so is anyone actually looking where the Chinese found the stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Sunrise in about 30mins so I reckon they will be heading that direction soon!

EI-DOR wrote: »

very good. to be honest that looks like it.

mapping the 2 gps points , its approx 122nm between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Them Sat Images are 3 days old I believe? The currents will have moved them objects quite a bit I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

irishgeo wrote: »

China have a number of vessels in the Gulf of Thailand. A combination of warships, patrol vessels and search and rescue ships also. I'm sure they will have dispatched someone to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

This thread probably mirrors the extent of the Malaysian investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dolphins can find this plane. I really believe they have what it takes to find it.
    All we need to do is track the Navy trained dolphins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why has it taken so long for the Chinese to offer this info? Ships only heading there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dolphins naturally possess the most sophisticated sonar known to man. They can objects on the ocean floor that are acoustically difficult targets to detect,
    They use their natural sonar, called echolocation, to determine the size and shape of underwater objects by sending out a series of clicks that bounce off their targets and boomerang back to them. The marine mammals can be trained to report what they have found to human handlers using certain yes or no responses. Handlers can then investigate what the dolphins find by sending the animals to mark an object's location with a weighted buoy line.
    ''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ridiculous Dolphin related picture deleted. BorneTobyWilde banned for trolling

:rolleyes:

Them Sat Images are 3 days old I believe? The currents will have moved them objects quite a bit I'm sure!

I'd assume they'd double check the more recent satellite images. Digital Globe's (Tomnod) images are more recent than Sunday. Their first released images were taken on Monday and they re-photographed a larger area yesterday which may have included that section again. I'd assume that they'd make them available to check for movement.

On the Sat images, why were the Chinese working off 2/3 day old images? Did they re-position the satellite to photograph another area? I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to satellite imaging.

Edit: Thinking about it logically, I assume they thought it best to look at images closest to the time of disappearance. More likely for items to be closer together / still afloat if it did indeed go into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

pclancy wrote: »
    Ridiculous Dolphin related picture deleted. BorneTobyWilde banned for trolling

:rolleyes:

Would you be suprised if they wheeled one out tomorrow!? :p I wouldn't at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

@OmarZaidMD: 20 passengers on the missing plane are world-class electronic geeks for a major Defense contracting company

Saw this on twitter earlier. Has anyone else heard of this?? Adds to the mystery if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

sorry to respond to this a bit late but
    A last known position is the last position that you know an object was in. If you're not sure that the position is correct, then it isn't the last known position. I can't believe I'm explaining this.
    Last assumed position?

I think we can safely say that this entered the realms of unknown unknowns quite a while back
    and
    it is safe to question everything reported.

Such an approach might have proven far more fruitful than the aimless farce this has descended in to at the expense of the relatives, the staff and the entire country.

Perhaps this should illustrate the worth of some form of apolitical/nofault world aviation incident team who could be called on to assist or take over from less than experienced locals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

@OmarZaidMD: 20 passengers on the missing plane are world-class electronic geeks for a major Defense contracting company

Saw this on twitter earlier. Has anyone else heard of this?? Adds to the mystery if true.

That's been known for quite a while, Texas-based company.

A Texan' (US based) Defence company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Why has it taken so long for the Chinese to offer this info? Ships only heading there now?

AFAIK they are in dispute over islands/territory in the general area and maybe didn't want to be seen making political issue of this what appears to be tradedy??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

AFAIK they are in dispute over islands/territory in the general area and maybe didn't want to be seen making political issue of this what appears to be tradedy??
    In similar vein I wonder if the latest Chinese satellite photos have been purposely degraded (for security purposes).

Re the Tomnod maps,
    Are many people being served up exactly the same sections?
    I have seen most of the items that others have posted. If it was such a vast section being doled out in portions, I wouldn't expect that.

Indeed, it would have you fouled to China's real surveillance capabilities, I'd say the US were interested by those pictures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's been known for quite a while, Texas-based company.

I wonder what type of product they were working on. Is it known? Govt contracts? Avionics? Weaponry? Any reason why 20 would be on the same flight??

wil wrote: »
    Re the Tomnod maps,
    Are many people being served up exactly the same sections?
    I have seen most of the items that others have posted. If it was such a vast section being doled out in portions, I wouldn't expect that.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I got two new maps today though. I think either as everyone started in the same position in the middle of the maps and tended to work outwards, they saw the same stuff (the main map on the first day had quite a lot of cells, I didn't finish it but jumped around.) Or their algorithm works that if an item is tagged on a map, more people are served that map to test the accuracy of the tags.

However, I think they should make the sections smaller if possible and mix up the starting position to ensure more areas are looked at for future projects.

Now that I know how to bring up the map co-ordinates, I might try to find each map, get the co-ordinates of each corner and see which sections they were actually serving.

wil wrote: »
    In similar vein I wonder if the latest Chinese satellite photos have been purposely degraded (for security purposes).

I can't see that. If they knew that the bits of the plane were there from HQ satellite images, why not just have a Chinese boat sail there as it was already in the search area. Chinese ship just got lunch rather reveal the level of technology available to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

In some ways I hope this turns out to be the wreckage. At least the families could begin to grieve. Too many sightings and changes turning up negative cannot be good.

Advertisement