Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I wonder what type of product they were working on. Is it known? Govt contracts? Avionics? Weaponry? Any reason why 20 would be on the same flight??

US companies usually have strict rules for colleagues travelling together for this very reason - so I'd be surprised if it was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

irishgeo wrote: »
    I can't see that. If they knew that the bits of the plane were there from HQ satellite images, why not just have a Chinese boat sail there as it was already in the search area. Chinese ship just got lunch rather reveal the level of technology available to them
    The physical description given was far more detailed than anything that could be determined from those grainy pictures.
    The Tomnod photos are far clearer and they are just private company, not military.
    The photos are a few days old, lunch isn't going to change that.:confused:

I wonder what type of product they were working on. Is it known? Govt contracts? Avionics? Weaponry? Any reason why 20 would be on the same flight??

While four passengers who boarded a missing Malaysian jet are under special investigation for stolen and other passport-related issues, twenty passengers were involved in cutting edge electronic technology used for defense purposes, including electronic warfare, such as weapons that can "cloak" or make planes invisible, appearing to vanish. If this is the case with the missing jet, the event points to terrorism.

from the Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/article/malaysia-jet-hidden-by-electronic-weaponry-20-ew-defense-linked-passengers

Five Lamps wrote: »
    US companies usually have strict rules for colleagues travelling together for this very reason - so I'd be surprised if it was the case.

Gregg Lowe, president and CEO of Freescale says in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragic event." The company, the statement reads, has assembled a team of counselors for those impacted by the tragedy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tech-company-missing-plane-2014-3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Looks like they have many factories including a large assembly facility in Malaysia and several in China.
    20 is probably a small group on training or set up duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

wil wrote: »
    The physical description given was far more detailed than anything that could be determined from those grainy pictures.
    The Tomnod photos are far clearer and they are just private company, not military.
    The photos are a few days old, lunch isn't going to change that.:confused:

Tomnod got the imagery from Digital Globe, who have imaging satellites with 46cm resolution. Being a private company wouldn't prevent them from achieving better resolution - indeed they are currently building one with 25cm resolution - but there is probably not much motivation to do so since they cannot sell images lower than 50cm to anyone other than the US military.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

When I open Tomnod, I get a map, but without the option to see the little box telling me what tile I'm looking at. The map is already all there, not revealed as I go.
    I have the little icons but I can't tag.

Anyway, if anyone can see it, I'm on an area where there seems to be a lot of odd shaped objects. http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/20201

Could be all waves, but I spent a long time last night trawling over practically an entire map tile after tile, and the waves were not that clear cut, or bright, and tended to have a pattern more than what can be seen there.

If you follow the discolouration line vertically down, please look out on the right hand side (in the lighter grey part) for something very very round shaped, with a darker circle in the middle.

There is an area with more odd shaped "waves"/objects to the left of that circle, in the darker grey, just keep scrolling.

I'm sorry I can't be more precise, the page didn't load properly, or is it that the search is closed ?

I took a few screen grabs, but the resolution is not great, so won't bother with these.

I think this spot is the same as the other poster a little while ago, as I have seen the same objects.

The round object I mention is the most obvious as it really cannot be a wave, I include a screenshot of this if anyone wants to check for themselves, my grab is likely to be poor quality.

edit : I saw the 2 boats moored together that someone thought was a whale earlier too. So yes, I think if there's something interesting/tagged we're more likely to be served that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Tomnod got the imagery from Digital Globe, who have imaging satellites with 46cm resolution. Being a private company wouldn't prevent them from achieving better resolution - indeed they are currently building one with 25cm resolution - but there is probably not much motivation to do so since they cannot sell images lower than 50cm to anyone other than the US military.

The imagery from digital globe is most likely quite close to the half meter spatial resolution in the Worldview1/2 specs.

The image the chinese released is most definitely not that level of spatial resolution.

It's a blurry mess. So either it was degraded which happens all the time or they were using a lower spatial resolution satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Jake1 wrote: »
    While four passengers who boarded a missing Malaysian jet are under special investigation for stolen and other passport-related issues, twenty passengers were involved in cutting edge electronic technology used for defense purposes, including electronic warfare, such as weapons that can "cloak" or make planes invisible, appearing to vanish. If this is the case with the missing jet, the event points to terrorism.

from the Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/article/malaysia-jet-hidden-by-electronic-weaponry-20-ew-defense-linked-passengers

Hmmm... 2 of those individuals were economic migrants. As pointed out in the news, millions of people travel on false docs every year and have no interest in destroying the aircraft they're on. If it was a terrorist related action they somebody would have claimed responsibility by now.

With no disrespect to those passengers, if they were top rated defence engineers there is no way they would be on the same flight.

Hmmm... 2 of those individuals were economic migrants. As pointed out in the news, millions of people travel on false docs every year and have no interest in destroying the aircraft they're on. If it was a terrorist related action they somebody would have claimed responsibility by now.

With no disrespect to those passengers, if they were top rated defence engineers there is no way they would be on the same flight.

Sorry, Five Lamps, I meant for the poster, forget who asked now :0 to scroll down regarding the technology the Freescale guys were involved in, didnt mean to highlight the passport thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Anyone watching Sky News seen them banging on about this fatigue cracking possibility with Satcom installed on aircraft? Has anyone in Sky bothered to research the fact Malaysia Airlines do not have a Satcom installed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

CNN: Malaysian search aircraft en route to area satellite images suggest could be a crash site, Malaysian air force official says.

China civil aviation says China has no proof that objects sighted by satellites are connected to missing plane, Reuters reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Sky News seen them banging on about this fatigue cracking possibility with Satcom installed on aircraft? Has anyone in Sky bothered to research the fact Malaysia Airlines do not have a Satcom installed. :mad:

Watching CNN . Piers Morgan Live.

Im off to bed, I really hope they find something for the families sake's.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

According to CNN, the Patrol Aircraft is on route to the area now!

That Aviation security analyst on CNN gave a very good plausible possibility of that Chinese terrorists group involvement in this didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

That Aviation security analyst on CNN gave a very good plausible possibility of that Chinese terrorists group involvement in this didn't he?

He did, and last night too. They are very good at making lots of possibilities sound plausible though.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    He did, and last night too. They are very good at making lots of possibilities sound plausible though.

Yeah very good point! Listening to that woman who's husband is onboard is utterly heart-breaking, can't image what the families are going through with nearly daily false leads, its terrible.

Yeah very good point! Listening to that woman who's husband is onboard is utterly heart-breaking, can't image what the families are going through with nearly daily false leads, its terrible.

It is heartbreaking listening to her, Piers is really pulling her strings to make her emotional, I don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It is heartbreaking listening to her, Piers is really pulling her strings to make her emotional, I don't like that.

Not sure. She is doing all the talking and keen to tell her story.
    He has been kind I think.

• Advertisement

Not sure. She is doing all the talking and keen to tell her story.
    He has been kind I think.

I didn't like the way he opened the interview with her so harshly, "two young children" and "devastating situation" in the tone he used, it seemed to me it was done on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

http://www2.lba.de/dokumente/lta/ad50909.pdf

Company I fly widebody Boeings for complied with this. Dont know about Malaysian. So not speculating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What happens when a plane crashes into a cloud?

boeingboy wrote: »
    http://www2.lba.de/dokumente/lta/ad50909.pdf

Company I fly widebody Boeings for complied with this. Dont know about Malaysian. So not speculating

Malaysia Airlines operate 777-200ER's so the directive would not apply to their aircraft?
    What happens when a plane crashes into a cloud?

I give up

Were N reg so we do it, Its an FAA directive. No idea if 9M regulatory body enforce.
    I know most registration states including China do but cudnt tell ya. Ask them!l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Were N reg so we do it, Its an FAA directive. No idea if 9M regulatory body enforce.
    I know most registration states including China do but cudnt tell ya. Ask them!l

Yep very good point, but the directive itself lists models in which the directive applies to these being the 200/200LR and 300/300ER models, the model excluded though is the 200ER which MAS operate so I'm not sure would the directive in turn have applied to them? By the way lucky you! 777 is a beautiful bird could only hope one day I'd be at the controls of one. :)

A 777-200 covers all varients. Dont fly them myself. Happy on my Boeing type, no desire or interest in changing. Go to work finish work time off at home in Ireland.

A 777-200 covers all varients. Dont fly them myself. Happy on my Boeing type, no desire or interest in changing. Go to work finish work time off at home in Ireland.

Ah interesting, haven't seen anything on the net in relation to MAS and the directive, would be very interesting to read the reply to it! Typically though we can expect the media wouldn't ask those type of questions unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Advertisement