Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm still not sure why you'd be sick to your stomach from this development. It's mildly positive if anything.

Because it could be absolutely anywhere?? and I'm thinking of the people on-board and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The WSJ article seems to be hinting that people should read between the lines somewhat.

When they say diverted for another purpose. Are they actually suggesting that a terrorist cell hi-jacked the plane in the hopes of using it in future as a weapon of some sort? Or am I completely mad?

errlloyd wrote: »
    The WSJ article seems to be hinting that people should read between the lines somewhat.

When they say diverted for another purpose. Are they actually suggesting that a terrorist cell hi-jacked the plane in the hopes of using it in future as a weapon of some sort? Or am I completely mad?

Not mad, that reference is there because I believe, again speculation on my part they have a source to back that up.

Point to note, WSJ is suggesting it flew for 5hrs, the plane had 7hrs fuel on-board, again they are asking you to read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Because it could be absolutely anywhere?? and I'm thinking of the people on-board and their families.

Yes but before that it was a search and recovery. There's a small possibility it could be more than just a search to recover a wreckage now. Which is definitely positive news.

Atleast more positive than any lead we've been handed out since this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

WSJ didn't mention the possibility of hypoxia and the plane continuing on autopilot. It probably seems unlikely given the transponder is also off. Would love to hear the opinion of an expert/ pilot,

• Advertisement

Yes but before that it was a search and recovery. There's a small possibility it could be more than just a search to recover a wreckage now. Which is definitely positive news.

Why are you obsessing what I'm thinking are you decoding my thoughts now haha? Move on please - How do you know they have not been harmed in someway answer me that? You don't so focus on the information at hand and not my personal thoughts. :confused:

I think he feels sick to his stomach because it raises the possibility of it being a terrorist attack or some other malicious attack.

Then there is the idea that Malaysia possibly covered up about the ACARS data...

Why are you obsessing what I'm thinking are you decoding my thoughts now haha? Move on please - How do you know they have not been harmed in someway answer me that? You don't so focus on the information at hand and not my personal thoughts. :confused:

Just wondering why someone would be so sick to their stomach by this news.was just trying to gather a thought process on why you'd be sick to your stomach as I seen it as positive. It did take a few posts to get an answer out of you, wasn't my intention to drag it out.

Carry on being sick in your stomach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

errlloyd wrote: »

Thats the impression I got from reading the article. It doesn't really bear thinking about but if it's something along those lines then those responsible could essentially have 200+ hostages AND a plane that could be used for later, alternative purposes. Scary scary prospect :eek:

Thats the impression I got from reading the article. It doesn't really bear thinking about but if it's something along those lines then those responsible could essentially have 200+ hostages AND a plane that could be used for later, alternative purposes. Scary scary prospect :eek:

Indeed it would make you sick. For the families that this information is now being broken too, how they must feel is beyond words frankly :(

• Advertisement

Just wondering why someone would be so sick to their stomach by this news.was just trying to gather a thought process on why you'd be sick to your stomach as I seen it as positive. It did take a few posts to get an answer out of you, wasn't my intention to drag it out.

Carry on being sick in your stomach :D

Maybe not in the future, but possibly they wanted to crash it into a building and there was some kind of rebellion to stop them.

Obviously the above is rampant speculation, so I hate writing it here. But just wrote it to make the point that they may have wanted to target a building there and then (the fact that the plane was in the air for five hours suggests this to me) rather than to use it in the future.

777 is a wide bodied aircraft right, so you can't just land this on some field in Pakistan, it would need a proper airport. Perhaps it was Hi-Jacked and the passengers and crew fought back - doesn't explain the engines though.

There's a mild chance these people are alive, held hostage or not. All this obviously speculation but unless it's false hope it's a damn sight more positive than finding a wreckage in the middle of the ocean and having no hope of finding bodies let alone people alive.

The question has been raised by a previous poster and its a brilliant one, where do you land a 777 where somebody won't alert someone??

Expect the information to break in the next few minutes on the news networks, the AP and Reuters have picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I should probably not read this while sitting in Dublin airport waiting for my flight.

I've been lurking and reading all week, and it's been horrible. I know I worry when a family member is on a plane, purely because I know that there's a miniscule chance of something going wrong. But to think that these people could have been living in the thoughts of that, when in fact their family members may be alive, albeit held hostage, it doesn't bear thinking about.

With all the twists and turns this story has taken, I doubt any report could possibly give us definitive proof of what has happened. But there's two questions I'd like to be answered. 1) Did Malaysia know, and if they did, why didn't they tell anyone? 2) What the hell is China's reaction going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This may also explain mobile phones ringing out.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I should probably not read this while sitting in Dublin airport waiting for my flight.

I've been lurking and reading all week, and it's been horrible. I know I worry when a family member is on a plane, purely because I know that there's a miniscule chance of something going wrong. But to think that these people could have been living in the thoughts of that, when in fact their family members may be alive, albeit held hostage, it doesn't bear thinking about.

With all the twists and turns this story has taken, I doubt any report could possibly give us definitive proof of what has happened. But there's two questions I'd like to be answered. 1) Did Malaysia know, and if they did, why didn't they tell anyone? 2) What the hell is China's reaction going to be?

1) It remains unknown if MAS knew they possibly could have, 2) I would expect them to increase searches and possibly give a hostile reaction to Malaysian authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Expect the information to break in the next few minutes on the news networks, the AP and Reuters have picked up on it.

The BBC actually updated their news site in the last half hour, but it was just an update of Wednesday Stories and the inclusion of the search area west of the Malaysian Peninsula.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The BBC actually updated their news site in the last half hour, but it was just an update of Wednesday Stories and the inclusion of the search area west of the Malaysian Peninsula.

Guardian have it for sure.

• Advertisement

Malaysian PM made ''undisclosed'' trip this morning, question for ye all - Have we seen the last 4 days the Malaysian Authorities ''saving their face'' so to speak, unconfirmed and I'll say again unconfirmed reports, pilot could have flown aircraft to undisclosed location, how embarrassing would that be to authorities and to the airline.

To counteract the above this article would have you believe he was an extremely competent and safe pilot - http://www.sharelor.net/1/post/2014/03/tribute-who-exactly-is-malaysia-airlines-captain-zaharie-shah-of-mh370.html

Just broke now on Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just broke now on Sky News

That articles says altitude data was sent to rolls royce.

Would it easy to work out if it crashed or landed from the altitude data alone.

This is just bizarre now.

Surely if your hijacking a flight you don't want to be found , you could collect everyone mobiles and knock them off. I thought that the mobile ringing mythhas been put down to the network setup over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

irishgeo wrote: »
    That articles says altitude data was sent to rolls royce.

Would it easy to work out if it crashed or landed from the altitude data alone.

This is just bizarre now.

Surely if your hijacking a flight you don't want to be found , you could collect everyone mobiles and knock them off. I thought that the mobile ringing mythhas been put down to the network setup over there.

The data from the Trents I think is sent in half hour snips, not contant telemetry I think. So it would be very hard to see whether it had landed or crashed between points.
    It does bring around the phone thing again though.
    They could have done in the region of 2000NM in that time!

This really beggars belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Why is the info from Rolls Royce only coming available now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

In relation to the Vietnamese not finding anything where the Chinese satellites picked something up, they probably should be trying to identify what was in those images rather than saying nothing there.

As for latest development. Well, I am speechless. That is all.

donalh087 wrote: »
    Why is the info from Rolls Royce only coming available now?

Because it was leaked. I'd say they kept it quiet to see if any terrorists made demands or they found it on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Has anyone got a link to a decent article with the RR data? All I can get is vague "could have flown for 4 hours" and one sentence about RR and the rest is just regurgitated news from earlier. Of course it could have flown for 4 hours, it had enough fuel but I can't see that linked to RR data anywhere.

Has anyone got a link to a decent article with the RR data? All I can get is vague "could have flown for 4 hours" and one sentence about RR and the rest is just regurgitated news from earlier. Of course it could have flown for 4 hours, it had enough fuel but I can't see that linked to RR data anywhere.

Any chance it could have crashed in such a way that the engines were still working for 4 hours.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any chance it could have crashed in such a way that the engines were still working for 4 hours.

Not a chance!

Advertisement