Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Question: Am I right in saying the plane officially confirmed with KL the handover from KL ATC, as in KL ATC considered that they had officially left KL ATC control; but the plane did not officially communicate the handover to Vietnam ATC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Question: Am I right in saying the plane officially confirmed with KL the handover from KL ATC, as in KL ATC considered that they had officially left KL ATC control; but the plane did not officially communicate the handover to Vietnam ATC?

Correct

And for any pilots or people knowledgeable about this kind of thing, how does the handover normally work. I would have thought they should communicate with Vietnam first, confirm Vietnam ATC have accepted the plane, and then communicate to KL ATC that they have left their control?

Or would the way the pilot did it in this way be correct, leave KL ATC officially, then begin communications with Vietnam ATC; in that case there would surely be a very short time frame in between for something to happen...seconds surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

And for any pilots or people knowledgeable about this kind of thing, how does the handover normally work. I would have thought they should communicate with Vietnam first, confirm Vietnam ATC have accepted the plane, and then communicate to KL ATC that they have left their control?

Or would the way the pilot did it in this way be correct, leave KL ATC officially, then begin communications with Vietnam ATC; in that case there would surely be a very short time frame in between for something to happen...seconds surely?

Basically (example);

Shannon ATC: Shamrock 711 contact Cork Approach 119.9
    Shamrock 711: 119.9 for Shamrock 711
    Shamrock 711: Cork Approach, Shamrock 711 with you, altitude x feet
    Cork Approach: Shamrock 711, roger

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is a WSJ article that seems to be the product of a real live journalist with expertise in the area doing some real live journalism. Interesting.

• Advertisement

As much as I hate accusing him, doesn't it seem like the pilot chose an opportune time to disappear the plane. Seems fairly co-incidental the incident happened at that point - was just reading that Vietnam ATC first noticed it went missing within three minutes of the pilot saying "All right, good night" to KL ATC, and no attempt had been made to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Been tracking this thread with great interest. Just hit "bloody bizarre" stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

dodzy wrote: »
    Been tracking this thread with great interest. Just hit "bloody bizarre" stage.

Thinking just the same. In a world that is ever shrinking & getting more predictable. This is getting more bizarre by the hour.....Im sure there is a perfectly normal explanation BUT what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I'm starting to think back to the original idea - a straightforward explostion in the sky. All this talk of objects being seen to the west of Malaysia hasn't been confirmed; all location-detecting systems failed, all communication systems failed and the fake passports identities have also being shown to be unrelated.

Basically, everything that would suggest it didn't explode or crash at the last known location, has been shown to be a red herring. Except for the fact that they haven't found the debris. But that seems to be a combination of it exploding at a height of 35,000m and possible incompetance in the search operation.

35,000m!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Is it possible to" steal" or hijack a plane that size and land it without being noticed? Seems far fetched to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

But military radar etc can pick up large birds, so how could it not pick up a plane?

Even if it turns off its radar devices it still can be seen on radar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jack1985 wrote: »
    You are really not going to believe this, according to a source, the ACARS data they were vague about has showed the flight was airborne for five hours, it disappeared after 42mins in the air. This according to the WSJ, which so far have been immaculate in all the information published by two dedicated aviation only journalists.

I am absolutely stunned and shocked. Investigators are now pursuing the notion the flight was purposely diverted with intention for using it later ''for another purpose'' - it gets more bizarre by the hour.

They are clearly hiding something.

Or else they are daft. Why wait five days to tell us this???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

But military radar etc can pick up large birds, so how could it not pick up a plane?

Even if it turns off its radar devices it still can be seen on radar.

That's what's called primary radar as in a radar signal gets returned. All that tells you is that there is SOMETHING out there that is returning a signal.
    And apparently the Malaysian authorities had a primary radar contact on the west coast, hence the extending of the search areas.

Secondary radar doesn't rely on a reflected signal, or a skin paint, but relies on data being sent from the plane's own transponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Is there any airfields large (Military or otherwise) enough to facilitate a 777 landing on the other Island Malaysia shares with Indonesia?
    Also would if the Plane diverted over there from its last known position would it have been picked up by any other countries radars? Reason, not sure yet but would be in easy range of the plane.

owenc wrote: »
    35,000m!?

Feet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭cml387

We are back to the ACARS information again!

Allegedly, routine information was being transmitted via ACARS to Rolls Royce about engine performance five hours after the transponder was switched off. Source: Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Little late to the party :)

Now radar suggests the plane reached the northern tip of Indonesia (previously it was only detected as far as Pulau Perak), and analysis shows the transponders were turned off:

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-missing-plane-could-have-reached-indonesia/story-fnh81fz8-1226854085211
    News Corporation Australia has been told that experts, who have been analysing military radar, have now managed to track the missing plane even further, almost right across the Malacca Strait.
    That analysis is understood to show the plane’s transponders were turned off, somewhere at the point where the plane deviated from its normal course.

Also info on one of the passengers:
    And there is one report, in local Malaysian newspaper Harian Metro, that one of the passengers was a 35-year-old Uigher, a Muslim group in the Xinjiang region of China, who had been working at a Turkish University and who reportedly has some knowledge of aircraft.

Here is the report from the local paper:

http://www.hmetro.com.my/articles/SiasatlelakiUighur//Article?BeritaUtama

Kuala Lumpur: Expertise MH370 passenger aircraft in electrical engineering and has made a study of flight simulation, prompted authorities to focus on the investigation against him.

According to sources, due to the skills possessed, the Royal Malaysian Police (RMP) and INTERPOL are now paying more attention to ethnic Uighur man was 35 years old, compared to the other passengers.

"We are not saying he was involved with terrorists, suspected sabotage or hijack the plane, but more attention is given to it because it felt background elements which need to be seen," he said.

Sources said, the review found that men who holds a doctorate in engineering from the United Kingdom is currently serving as a lecturer at a university in Turkey.

He said the man was also a personal profile record he ever made a study on training and flight simulation center owned by a leading vehicle engine manufacturer in Sweden in 2004 and 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Truly bizzare turn of events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Ok, am I imagining things at this point or did I read that 20 staff from a defence company, who researches making planes vanish from radar :eek: were on flight which has effectively vanished from radar but continued to fly undected? :eek:

I haven't had my coffee yet, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

sopretty wrote: »
    Ok, am I imagining things at this point or did I read that 20 staff from a defence company, who researches making planes vanish from radar :eek: were on flight which has effectively vanished from radar but continued to fly undected? :eek:

I've read that too but I'm not sure if it's true, or had any relevance to this disappearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,040 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only group of 20 I've heard of were from Freescale, a processor firm. Fairly innocuous.

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I've read that too but I'm not sure if it's true!

Ok, I have to read back through the thread to find the post to see whether the poster had a link or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This whole thing just gets stranger and stranger.

Information vacuums can lead to conspiracy theories taking hold though so read with your reality filters fully engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

there was something about that several pages back, but usally big companies like this, wouldn't have all their top staff flying together, just incase this kinda thing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

They are from a semiconductor company that manufactures microprocessors and is called Freescale, not a defense company.

What is questionable is that companies travel policy considering their size, allowing 20 people travel on the same commercial flight is not allowed in most major companies. As I posted before the company I work for lost people in AF447 so we are not allowed have more than 5 people from the company on any one flight.

Back on topic... I can't see anything concrete in this RR engine data story yet. And for some of the other stuff it just seems like people are making stuff up and then fitting it around the story.

Ok, I have to read back through the thread to find the post to see whether the poster had a link or anything.

There is rumours that Freescale work on that technology. Although the 20 employees were all flying to China to help with manufacturing efficiency.

Anyway I don't think this is some kind of test run for that technology!!

I found the post #1926. The article linked is pure speculation on behalf of a reporter it would appear!

Anyway, back to reality!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

To be perfectly honest, your company employees would be at more risk by sitting in the same building together!

A fire, earthquake or crazed maniac entering the building would be more of a risk than commercial flying.

While these incidents are tragic and dramatic due to the technology involved they are exceedingly rare on developed world commercial carriers.

I would have more concerns about small corporate jets etc

People's ability to calculate risk is really very poor. That's how the gambling industry keeps so profitable!

Advertisement