Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

SpaceTime wrote: »
    No need for personal insults!

I'm illustrating why the perceived risk is totally out of all proportion with actual risk by citing things that are higher risk yet perceived as totally benign in comparison.

People's inability to properly calculate risk is how financial disasters happen too. Human nature tends to apply enormous risk loadings to the most dramatic scary looking thing : plane crash, terrorism etc

Then we fail to risk load really high risk things that don't seem as dramatic yet damage, kill etc on huge scales.

The avation industry is actually one of the first that began to take a really comprehensive, systematic and scientific approach to risk minimisation across everything it does.

If similarly comprehensive risk elimimation systems were in place in areas like medical practice in hospitals, you'd find a lot of lives saved.

I think the calculation is based not on the risk of something happening - which in a lot of cases is far lower than we perceive, or far higher in other cases - but on the impact post occurrence.

Tiny risk, big impact?

Precautions in proportion with impact rather than risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Also reports that they searched the pilots houses are false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Information vacuums will invariably be filled with speculation and rumors.

Surprising the WSJ got sucked into it.

They aren't briefing the press properly with sufficient technical information and as a result they're losing control of the message entirely.

This is where good public affairs communication teams are utterly invaluable. I don't mean spin doctors I mean people who can get accurate, appropriate and concise information out.

It would avoid a lot of heartache for the families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The transport minister seems to more in control than yesterday. Just need to see how he responds to the rabid pack of journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Last ACARS message confirmed at 01:07L, everything normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Watching on CNN and struggling to understand. Static in background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

irishmover wrote: »
    Fine on Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Precisely and with all due respect this is a triple 7 with Trent 892 engines they are massive and as was the case in the Asiana crash, they would likely separate and implode

With all due respect you don't have a technical background on aircraft so stop with your dismissing of facts on the basis of oh the engines are massive . Fact is they can run on the ground for hours after a crash.

The a340 uses Trent engines too, Trent 500 which isn't much smaller than the 800 on the 777 in question the cores are similar , 600 is scaled down 800 core, fan diameter is only .3 of a meter smaller.

Also the engines won't implode.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Fine on Sky News

Sky News AU ain't really covering it much. On a break at the moment so yeh.. Keep the updates coming here....

You made a huge number if analogies. Editing posts to add more....

Off topic here I know...

Off topic too but you don't respond to posts by calling a poster 'a bit nuts'. That's extremely insulting and offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is it possible it was shot down accidentally and no one's admitting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so far, it looks like practically every single "story" that has been released is false.

the plane is missing 6 days and nobody knows one thing about this plane apart from its last ACAS transmission and last known position. everything else is a complete mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

It's the sound of the bloomin cameras flashing. Fierce annoying.

Off topic too but you don't respond to posts by calling a poster 'a bit nuts'. That's extremely insulting and offensive.

Well maybe I found it a bit offensive that you used a stupid amount of analogies, then returned to said post to add more analogies to justify how silly of a post I made. (Your analogies had no clever thought in them by the way, pretty silly and felt to be chasing likes IMO).

Anyway it was a tongue in cheek comment, if you found 'a but nuts' to be extremely offensive on an Internet forum you've got a big up hill battle ahead.

kona wrote: »
    With all due respect you don't have a technical background on aircraft so stop with your dismissing of facts on the basis of oh the engines are massive . Fact is they can run on the ground for hours after a crash.

The a340 uses Trent engines too, Trent 600 which isn't much smaller than the 800 on the 777 in question the cores are similar , 600 is scaled down 800 core, fan diameter is only .3 of a meter smaller.

Seems the rumours of data sent back to RR are false though regardless.

I just wish the investigating team leaders would issue a proper and comprehensive technical briefing of what's known.

so far, it looks like practically every single "story" that has been released is false.

the plane is missing 6 days and nobody knows one thing about this plane apart from its last ACAS transmission and last known position. everything else is a complete mystery.

Yeh I suppose as the days go on, yet another story of what might have happened being false it starts to get a bit boring..

Looking like we won't have any answers for a long time.

While they're saying that every supposed story is inaccurate, they have actually admitted that they have had to withhold information due to the various agencies involved. Since they have released pretty much ZERO information, one might assume that they are still withholding information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I just wish the investigating team leaders would issue a proper and comprehensive technical briefing of what's known.

Maybe I am the only one but I think they have released everything confirmed that they do know. The have a confirmed last known position, they have searched around it and didn't find anything. All they can do is widen the search.

Primary radar info is not confirmed info, it doesn't tell them if it is MH370.

Edit: And it is chillingly reassuring with all the spying going on in the world that something can go missing like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I wouldn't believe a thing until the NTSB make a statement or release new info. Just like this thread and no disrespect to anybody but the people with the relative qualifications are keeping quiet.
    Everything else is descending into a circuis. its already a very embarrassing incident for aviation from all angles.

Don't forget that there could be a unknown fault that brought down this 777, there could be a major issue that could affect the entire fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't understand peoples need to speculate and spout bullsh!t in the absence of any real info. They haven't found anything yet. They are still looking. Nothing is going to change until they find something, thats it.

• Advertisement

They're not really briefing in the way that the media expect these days though.

The information is coming out in dribs and drabs and the press conferences aren't very informative.

You need a proper presentation recapping the facts known to date (probably with graphical diagrams etc) then add any new information and have some people who really know what's going on to brief - that's where a US or major European agency almost always has a trained communications expert.

Malaysian authorities to date have given us high ranking officials with loads of military insignia. That's not going to help. The media wants info from someone used to handling a press conference and who knows what they're talking about.

Thankfully, it's not something they've had to handle before so they've little experience of communicating this kind of information.

The reality is that people spend years learning how to be communication officers. They're either PR people with communications qualifications or journalists by background and usually also have deep knowledge of the organisation they're representing.

Speculation is running wild without all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't understand peoples need to speculate and spout bullsh!t in the absence of any real info. They haven't found anything yet. They are still looking. Nothing is going to change until they find something, thats it.

Agreed

He's pretty much refusing to answer anything now! Can't hear what questions the journos are asking, but he's refusing to answer them. Then he said, that if he was to speculate further, he would give false hope to the relatives, which would be irresponsible. Which suggests, his speculation, is that they might be alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

sopretty wrote: »
    He's pretty much refusing to answer anything now! Can't hear what questions the journos are asking, but he's refusing to answer them. Then he said, that if he was to speculate further, he would give false hope to the relatives, which would be irresponsible. Which suggests, his speculation, is that they might be alive?

The question asked was what areas are being searched. He outlined the two main areas and a further question was asked if this area was to be expanded further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The a340 uses Trent engines too, Trent 500 which isn't much smaller than the 800 on the 777 in question the cores are similar , 600 is scaled down 800 core, fan diameter is only .3 of a meter smaller.

I was referring to the rupturing of fan blade discs, of course they would shatter thus the engine would implode on contact with surface in nearly every hard impact, with all due respect you have no knowledge in my employment background now do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They're not really briefing in the way that the media expect these days though.

The information is coming out in dribs and drabs and the press conferences aren't very informative.

You need a proper presentation recapping the facts known to date (probably with graphical diagrams etc) then add any new information and have some people who really know what's going on to brief - that's where a US or major European agency almost always has a trained communications expert.

Malaysian authorities to date have given us high ranking officials with loads of military insignia. That's not going to help. The media wants info from someone used to handling a press conference and who knows what they're talking about.

Thankfully, it's not something they've had to handle before so they've little experience of communicating this kind of information.

The reality is that people spend years learning how to be communication officers. They're either PR people with communications qualifications or journalists by background and usually also have deep knowledge of the organisation they're representing.

Speculation is running wild without all that.

The reason we're not getting any of this is because there is nothing to say in a fúcking press conference. The plane is missing, they are looking for it and thats about it really. There aren't going to be any meaningful developments until they find something.

666bxg wrote: »
    The question asked was what areas are being searched. He outlined the two main areas and a further question was asked if this area was to be expanded further

Thanks for that. Do you know what question he was asked before replying that the information was too sensitive for him to comment on?

The reason we're not getting any of this is because there is nothing to say in a fúcking press conference. The plane is missing, they are looking for it and thats about it really. There aren't going to be any meaningful developments until they find something.

Then you just hold a briefing to recap the facts to date in a very calm, authoritative way.

They're holding too many press conferences too. If you've no information you don't put officials with no media experience out to face a press grilling about information they don't have.

You send your brass necked head of communications out to do a recap.

The fact that these guys are nervous is coming across as adding fuel to conspiracy theories. They're short / nervous because they're not used to crisis media briefings and being asked totally stupid questions about rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Utter crap.

There are plenty of knowledgeable folk on this forum and in the absence of any solid information, all you have is speculation. And in this instance, I can think of no better people to get possible scenarios / likely outcomes from than skilled pilots / engineers that take time to post on this forum. Personally, I find all this intriguing. ACARS - didn't have a clue what it was up until a few days ago. But I know now. Fascinating stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I wouldn't believe a thing until the NTSB make a statement or release new info. Just like this thread and no disrespect to anybody but the people with the relative qualifications are keeping quiet.
    Everything else is descending into a circuis. its already a very embarrassing incident for aviation from all angles.

Don't forget that there could be a unknown fault that brought down this 777, there could be a major issue that could affect the entire fleet.

And the reason why the people with the relative qualifications are keeping quite is because we all learn from day 1 on the job, that an incident speculation is irrelevant and in most cases harmful to those relatives left behind and to those work colleagues associated with the incident.

No one ever knows what happens until determined by the relevant authorities.

FWIW I worked 31 years in aviation maintenance.

Advertisement