Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Satelittes picked up "pings" from MAS370 after it's disappearance, according to Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the lad who coordinated the AF search, has called this one of the greatest mystery's of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Satelittes picked up "pings" from MAS370 after it's disappearance, according to Reuters

Link?

andy_g wrote: »
    Link?

Just broke on Sky News, I'm sure it's been tweeted @Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

andy_g wrote: »
    Link?

Reuters are reporting it, saying our good friend "source" told them.

• Advertisement

Thrill wrote: »
    Reuters are reporting it, saying our good friend "source" told them.

I wonder is it the same lad who was talking to WSJ, hope not :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Just broke on Sky News, I'm sure it's been tweeted @Reuters

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/444156014141526016
    Satellites picked up electronic ping from Malaysian flight MH370 after it lost contact with ground control: source close to investigation

_________

actually, a bit more detail on what they mean by that might be helpful.

Calina wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/444156014141526016

_________

actually, a bit more detail on what they mean by that might be helpful.

Without more information than that tweet, it would suggest they picked up pinging from the either the CVR/FDR meaning either would have been submerged in water at that point.

Without more information than that tweet, it would suggest they picked up pinging from the either the CVR/FDR meaning either would have been submerged in water at that point.

I would have thought ELT rather than the recorders to be honest. But again, this is not detailed enough so absent official confirmation I am giving limited value to it.

Calina wrote: »
    I would have thought ELT rather than the recorders to be honest. But again, this is not detailed enough so absent official confirmation I am giving limited value to it.

Very true! However both the CVR/FDR are known to ping, the ELT broadcasts on 121.5MHz doesn't it? Open to correction!

• Advertisement

"Pings" indicate aircraft's troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate, but airline did not subscribe to full service - Sources

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Thrill wrote: »
    "Pings" indicate aircraft's troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate, but airline did not subscribe to full service - Sources
    What is possible to be pinged from satellite?
    If under water would any detection from satellite be extremely unlikely?

New search area may be opened in the Indian Ocean based on "new" but inconclusive information - White House press secretary.

So WSJ article was nearly fully right exclude the RR data so far as it remains unconfirmed by them - baffling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Sounds like a simple idea. What airline was this you were listening to Irish radio over Pakistan? Using the TuneInRadio App was it?

Not all airlines have onboard wifi? And does it work all the time even so?

Singapore Airlines, back in February 2006 ..... ironically ( :D !) I was listening to Neil Prendeville on www.96fm.ie :D

I could have done with a few Neurofen myself ;)

In fact I Skyped my wife back home !

They were offering it free at the time, but I know they were charging a fiver or more later for it. The only difference between First Class and Economy was they had a power socket in First/Business, whereas once the battery went on our laptops in economy, you had no way of charging it up again, unless a stewardess brought it to a plug in point for you.

Seen a tweet from an Irish girl I follow on twitter who works for the Washington Times say, they have reason to believe it went down in the Indian Ocean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Well I will not be flying Malaysia Airlines in future.

I did fly with them last year... won't be doing that again...

As far as I know... modern ATC radar is not the same as military radar... as civilian radar sends out a pulse...which activates the transponder on the plane to emit a return signal.

If the transponder fails or gets switched off... the plane effectively disappears from the screen.

Which raises the question... why bother having radar at all... why not just have every plane emitting a signal giving the required data etc..

Any opinions anybody...??

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Anyone have a map showing how far away the indian ocean is from where they were looking up until today? On my phone at the moment

Very true! However both the CVR/FDR are known to ping, the ELT broadcasts on 121.5MHz doesn't it? Open to correction!

The range for the pings from the recorders has typically been considered to be limited to a number of miles. They are usually detected by sonar if at all. They ping on 37.5kHz.

TBH, I'd be surprised if satellite receivers picked them up.

Some of the ELTs are designed to be picked up by satellites though if they are broadcasting on 406Mhz and I do not know which one is installed on this particular aircraft. But at least one of the ELT's approved for the aircraft type does.

At the end of the day, this particular tweet says very, very little. I'd prefer more detail and official rather than "source".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

U.S. Pentagon tells Sky News that navy ship U.S.S. Kidd is on its way to Straits of Malacca

Malacca Straits is one of the busiest shipping areas in the world. I'd imagine had the plane gone down there, its likely it'd have been noticed,nor some debris would have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

ABC101 wrote: »

As far as I know... modern ATC radar is not the same as military radar... as civilian radar sends out a pulse...which activates the transponder on the plane to emit a return signal.

If the transponder fails or gets switched off... the plane effectively disappears from the screen.

Which raises the question... why bother having radar at all... why not just have every plane emitting a signal giving the required data etc..

Any opinions anybody...??

If there's one thing that needs to come out of this, it is that, as an industry, there can't be any excuse for having an "opt out" in being able to know exactly where a civilian aircraft is at any time. If every commercial airplane HAS TO have such a device, then it's cost neutral i.e. it's an added cost for everyone, not optional to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Can anybody confirm if it was flying etops at the time or was it downgraded? And what etops was it approved for?

kona wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if it was flying etops at the time or was it downgraded? And what etops was it approved for?

Would love to know that too, operationally what difference does that make?

In relation to people not flying with MAS anymore, this is there 4 accident since 1946, they are an extremely safe airline, have a look at AF's past there no more than marginally above African carriers in safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

I think we need to keep things in perspective here. While you sleep, thousands of aircraft are safely navigating the skies above your head. When you wake up, thousands of planes are safely making it to their destination. While you work, have dinner, watch T.V, all day every day. If anything, incidents like this highlight just how amazing modern day air travel is. Of course this accident is tragic, but looking at it in terms of pure statistics, Malaysia Airlines have a solid record. And it still remains to be seen whether or not the airline and/or it's staff were to blame at all.

Cool little graphic here showing all the SAR assets
    involved in search.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BinILccIYAA7THY.jpg

Would love to know that too, operationally what difference does that make?

In relation to people not flying with MAS anymore, this is there 4 accident since 1946, they are an extremely safe airline, have a look at AF's past there no more than marginally above African carriers in safety.

Af have a disgraceful safety record. Well depending on what etops it is it can go more than x minutes from a suitable airfield. Etops aircraft have much more redundancy than normal ops and their maintenance has to be 100% almost.

Would be interesting to know.

Tbh the only people who will come out of this badly will be the Malaysian and Vietnamese atc and aviation authorities. It's nothing short of shocking not knowing where a large civilian aircraft under your control is at all times, at this stage it's not even pin point they have a search area bigger than most countries! Totally inept, I'd say a bunch of kids after a year in college could conduct this better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Agent Bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

kona wrote: »
    Tbh the only people who will come out of this badly will be the Malaysian and Vietnamese atc and aviation authorities. It's nothing short of shocking not knowing where a large civilian aircraft under your control is at all times, at this stage it's not even pin point they have a search area bigger than most countries! Totally inept, I'd say a bunch of kids after a year in college could conduct this better.
    Regardless of their reasonably good safety record to now, Malaysian airlines are likely to take a big hit on this.
    And being the flag carrier, Malaysian face.
    Could take a lot of PR campaigns to rectify their already many years of economic trouble. Lets hope that wasn't a contributory factor.

The only real thing highlighted over and above similar concerns with many other airlines is the passport checking issue.
    They have been fined twice (2012, 2007 in a NZ court) for suspect passports (flagged by New Zealands Passenger checking system) being allowed to board, oldish news, but didn't see it mentioned here.

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    Regardless of their reasonably good safety record to now, Malaysian airlines are likely to take a big hit on this.
    And being the flag carrier, Malaysian face.
    Could take a lot of PR campaigns to rectify their already many years of economic trouble. Lets hope that wasn't a contributory factor.

The only real thing highlighted over and above similar concerns with many other airlines is the passport checking issue.
    They have been fined twice (2012, 2007 in a NZ court) for suspect passports (flagged by New Zealands Passenger checking system) being allowed to board, oldish news, but didn't see it mentioned here.

I would think and it's not to discount you're theory, there is a big problem in Asia with stolen passports, just like drug smugglers a few will always sneak through - even though there should be no excuse when Interpol have that database!

Advertisement