Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A video has gone viral on Facebook saying "Malaysian Airlines Finally Found", if you are stupid enough to click it you will get a nasty virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dont think anybody under estimates the size of the search. its the fact that they have no idea where it is thats baffling everybody, the search space could be reduced by 60%+ if they actually had a clue where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Confirmed now as said by a previous poster, a source close to the investigation saying the pinging was the aircraft being able to send technical information, however Malaysian Airlines hadn't subscribed to the service and thus would not receive the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Two Sr. US officials to ABC: Hours after disappearance, missing airliner was apparently trying to connect with satellite on hourly basis.

Wall Street Journal:
    We've corrected our story to note that satellite, not engine, data indicates MH370 flew for up to 4 more hours.

The crux of WSJ's story stands. Investigators suspect the plane flew for up to 4 hours after dropping from radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Thrill wrote: »
    Two Sr. US officials to ABC: Hours after disappearance, missing airliner was apparently trying to connect with satellite on hourly basis.

Wall Street Journal:
    We've corrected our story to note that satellite, not engine, data indicates MH370 flew for up to 4 more hours.

The crux of WSJ's story stands. Investigators suspect the plane flew for up to 4 hours after dropping from radar

Anyone know why Military planes wouldn't have been sent after it ? Surely a plane that has turned off it's transponder and (potentially) did a 180 degree turn, wouldn't have set off alarm bells ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

dont think anybody under estimates the size of the search. its the fact that they have no idea where it is thats baffling everybody, the search space could be reduced by 60%+ if they actually had a clue where it was.

Are you saying that they would find it if they knew where it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Wall Street Journal:

holy f*ck....this gets worse and worse for the Malaysians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

CNN have posted an updated FAQ
    (handy for anyone who spots something and thinks nobody thought of it yet.)

Had to laugh watching CNN last night, they were talking to a US navy SAR CO. He was filling them in on the latest. Then they asked him some questions and he let drop he was currently watching it on CNN. He hastily caught himself and mentioned "other clever people on-board with their own sources". Embarrassment all round, even the news anchors.

Makes you wonder how much news is Larsen effect

Mumha wrote: »
    Anyone know why Military planes wouldn't have been sent after it ? Surely a plane that has turned off it's transponder and (potentially) did a 180 degree turn, wouldn't have set off alarm bells ?

There is no official confirmation on any of this yet. No named source has stated the satilite ping story is true. The source so far is "Two Sr. US officials" (no names given) and "source close to the investigation" (again no name given).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Can anyone confirm, how long after lost contact did this turn in to SAR.
    Seems like it was 15 minutes in Shannon for the Air India 182 in 1986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

Xenji wrote: »
    A video has gone viral on Facebook saying "Malaysian Airlines Finally Found", if you are stupid enough to click it you will get a nasty virus.

Yup, the pictured plane is a 737-(800?) and is Lion Air Flight 904 which crashed into the sea during landing in Bali

AP source: No data after contact lost with plane
    WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. official says there were no data transmitted on the status of a missing Malaysia Airlines jet's engines after contact was lost with the plane.

The official said Thursday that investigators are beginning to explore whether the plane may have flown for another four hours after contact was lost, based on the estimated fuel on board and the inability of searchers thus far to find wreckage.

And the source for this story is........
    The official familiar with the investigation spoke only on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak about it publicly.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-no-data-after-contact-lost-plane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

AP source: No data after contact lost with plane

And the source for this story is........

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source-no-data-after-contact-lost-plane

Yes, we know this, read the last page of the thread.

Washington Post: U.S. officials say they do not know if plane flew, circled or was airborne at all when engines were running.

Washington Post report comes after Malaysia said engine transmitted no data as was reported by WSJ, but REU sources said satellites picked up pings.

Yes, we know this, read the last page of the thread.

The other story says the extra four hours are based on pings. The story I just quoted says the extra fours hours are based on the amount of fuel remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Check this out http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/43595 its certainly a plane anyway

cosanostra wrote: »
    Check this out http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/43595 its certainly a plane anyway

Look's like an army plane, and definitely airborne I'd think! Great find!

There is no official confirmation on any of this yet. No named source has stated the satilite ping story is true. The source so far is "Two Sr. US officials" (no names given) and "source close to the investigation" (again no name given).

That would be fair enough if the Malaysians hadn't (from an early stage) started searching the Straits of Malacca. They obviously received some credible information to suggest the plane may have turned in the opposite direction, clearly from primary (military ?) radar.

With the Military capability that the Malaysians have, wouldn't they be alerted to check out an unknown aircraft flying over Malaysia ?

That would be fair enough if the Malaysians hadn't (from an early stage) started searching the Straits of Malacca. They obviously received some credible information to suggest the plane may have turned in the opposite direction, clearly from primary (military ?) radar.

With the Military capability that the Malaysians have, wouldn't they be alerted to check out an unknown aircraft flying over Malaysia ?

And the weird thing is they denied after initially confirming, that they had data to suggest just that. As the days progress it has to be asked what are they hiding, because information is definately being withheld.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Jack1985 wrote: »
    And the weird thing is they denied after initially confirming, that they had data to suggest just that. As the days progress it has to be asked what are they hiding, because information is definately being withheld.

Exactly what I've been bleating on about!

Having watched a couple of those inept press conferences, nothing surprises me about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

I know absolutely nothing about aviation but can someone tell me what is the general outlook on this situation? Is there a majority that think it was a hi-jacking gone wrong or what?

Genuine question. Interesting yet very sad situation.

I know absolutely nothing about aviation but can someone tell me what is the general outlook on this situation? Is there a majority that think it was a hi-jacking gone wrong or what?

Lot's of us know a lot about aviation, and I think nearly unanimously it can be said, nobody knows anything - There's nothing that is actually fact past its disappearance at this stage, thus everything is speculation unfortunately, it is quite unprecedented at this stage.

Lot's of us know a lot about aviation, and I think nearly unanimously it can be said, nobody knows anything - There's nothing that is actually fact past its disappearance at this stage, thus everything is speculation unfortunately, it is quite unprecedented at this stage.
    Thats what I thought but still said I would ask. Cheers!

And just another question. Someone posted a link above with a map and a picture of a plane. What is that person implying? - Aviation noob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Personally, as someone who last flew 5 years ago lol and who has just about seen the inside of a car engine, not to mind a plane engine!, I would surmise that an aircraft was taken down, as a dry run for new technology, for future terrorism reasons.
    I believe the authoriteez know who is responsible.
    I believe us randomers will never know why, until some random undetected plane flies into Putin's palace or something.

I do not buy the 'no information' story. Sure he admitted to having to withhold sensitive information!

You can call me a consipracy theorist lol.

I could, if I knew how to, prattle on about transponders, ACARS, depressurisation, etc...... but it wouldn't mean I knew more. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cosanostra wrote: »

Looks like an RMAF C130.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

sopretty wrote: »
    Personally, as someone who last flew 5 years ago lol and who has just about seen the inside of a car engine, not to mind a plane engine!, I would surmise that an aircraft was taken down, as a dry run for new technology, for future terrorism reasons.
    I believe us randomers will never know why, until some random undetected plane flies into Putin's palace or something.

I do not buy the 'no information' story. Sure he admitted to having to withhold sensitive information!

I could, if I knew how to, prattle on about transponders, ACARS, depressurisation, etc...... but it wouldn't mean I knew more. ;)

Stop trolling or else enjoy your tin-foil hat.

sopretty wrote: »

Sorry but I stopped reading after the Bolded part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Sad that such a serious topic has descended into a barrel of laughs for some.

Advertisement