Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

fr336 wrote: »
    Sad that such a serious topic has descended into a barrel of laughs for some.
    Agreed.

Its certainly an interesting/bizzare situation but also an extremely delicate event to have happened to so much people. Words cant describe what familys must be going through.

I pray they will find out. Fair dues to the people on reddit and even on here with genuine aviation experience trying to solve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yeah I think it's easy to get so focused on what could have happened after a while you forget the whole likely tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I know absolutely nothing about aviation but can someone tell me what is the general outlook on this situation? Is there a majority that think it was a hi-jacking gone wrong or what?

Genuine question. Interesting yet very sad situation.
    I know nothing about aviation either but I find this situation almost unbelievable.My own opinion is that it was an accidental hit by a missile and no one will admit to it, in saying that my opinion varys from day to day .Whatever happened my heart goes out to the families...if we are finding the whole situation baffling i can only imagine what they are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

Colser wrote: »
    I know nothing about aviation either but I find this situation almost unbelievable.My own opinion is that it was an accidental hit by a missile and no one will admit to it, in saying that my opinion varys from day to day .Whatever happened my heart goes out to the families...if we are finding the whole situation baffling i can only imagine what they are going through.

I believe that the area where the aircraft went dark was not only a busy airway, but also a busy shipping lane. Military activity such as missile firing is usually announced well in advance and the airspace is normally closed to general aviation traffic. I'm not aware of any such military activity in the area at the time but I'm open to correction. It's a busy section of airspace though so I'd doubt missile firing would be anywhere close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Bit off topic but interesting program on discovery science channel about the race to deliver the A380 to customer's, showing safety tests etc, On sky on Channel 525 and 557(+1hour). I probably wouldn't of bothered watching otherwise but interested given this missing plane,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Mad or sad as some of the replies are, the theory of something unknown to us is becoming one of the ones we might have to accept, for me if it is a new technology or a practice hi-jacking then there is a chance those poor people are still alive, I think we all agree that it is a bizarre situation that we can not understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Agreed.

Its certainly an interesting/bizzare situation but also an extremely delicate event to have happened to so much people. Words cant describe what familys must be going through.

I pray they will find out. Fair dues to the people on reddit and even on here with genuine aviation experience trying to solve the situation.
    People on reddit and on here will 'solve' the situation you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

sopretty wrote: »

Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

The word WILL and TRYING are completely different.

I think I made that pretty obvious in my comment when I said the word "trying".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Well we can make educated speculation from our own foreknowledge like lots of people have shared, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I heard something earlier about data being sent from engine sensors direct to the manufacturers (Rolls Royce I believe). Does this really happen or was it another made up 'fact'?

What about these satellite pings? Would they be able to get any location data from those?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I heard something earlier about data being sent from engine sensors direct to the manufacturers (Rolls Royce I believe). Does this really happen or was it another made up 'fact'?

What about these satellite pings? Would they be able to get any location data from those?

It most certainly does happen, part of Rolls-Royce quality guarantee program, but they've denied now that it sent information it was flying for more than 5hrs, however satellite pinging information just released confirms the WSJ theory. Regards position reports, that's an airline option, and it remains unknown if MAS had signed up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I found this, don't know if I can attach it properly!

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Well we can make educated speculation from our own foreknowledge like lots of people have shared, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that..

Nobody here will solve anything!!!! For goodness sake, and maybe I'm a bit naive here, but you'd think there would be engineers, pilots, FBI, police involved, with actual access to actual information?

I found this, don't know if I can attach it properly!

Looks like a boat
    Nobody here will solve anything!!!! For goodness sake, and maybe I'm a bit naive her, but you'd think there would be engineers, pilots, FBI, police involved, with actual access to actual information?

So what should we do not speak? I'm not saying anybody will solve anything, but we can discuss it, I see no harm in that. And they are, but it remains unknown if they have access to any data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

It most certainly does happen, part of Rolls-Royce quality guarantee program, but they've denied now that it sent information it was flying for more than 5hrs, however satellite pinging information just released confirms the WSJ theory. Regards position reports, that's an airline option, and it remains unknown if MAS had signed up to it.

Thanks Jack.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey folks,

I just found this thread and might have missed it if already mentioned, but,
    GlobalImaging.com are asking volunteers to search pics of ocean and report anything unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014
    so this tomnod thing you keep clicking random if you don't find anything, there no choice to say nothing found?

keep getting same tile turning up, why is there no i've looked this button?

this tomnod thing has never loaded for me,good internet ff or chrome http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Same with me, I usually have to refresh twice and then select a tile of it to then work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If plane flew for hours after last know location it would indicate that pilots lost all ability to navigate and to communicate with people on the ground. So basically the flew blind, probably had the artificial horizon but that's it.

If they had no idea of where they were, or where they were going then it would explain them ending up in some crazy location, the Indian Ocean .

Would it be possible to lose all navigation tools and all ability to communicate?

• Advertisement

Looks like a boat

So what should we do not speak? I'm not saying anybody will solve anything, but we can discuss it, I see no harm in that. And they are, but it remains unknown if they have access to any data.

I'm all for discussing! I'm a wee bit tired of the 'I worked on a bigger plane than you' or 'I'm a pilot, you just service planes' / 'You haven't a bogs notion what you're on about - go away from asking me questions'.

Some of us here might know as much about flying as we know .about jumping out of a parachute in terms of flying and we might know as little about an aircraft as we might know about the engine of an Audi. It does not leave us entirely unable to comment on an air accident, particularly in the absence of any data which might be interpretable by any regular on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Oil rig worker says he saw Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 burst into flames.

I tried to contact Malaysian and Vietnamese officials days ago. But I do not know if the message has been received.

“I am on the oil ring Songa-Mercur off the coast of Vung Tau.

“The surface location of the observation is Lat 08 22’ 30.20” N Lat 108 42.22.26” E.

“I observed (the plane?) burning at high altitude at a compass bearing of 265* to 275*”

Mr McKay is working on the oil rig Songa Mercur off Vung Tau, on the south east coast of Vietnam. This would put the plane in the same general area where a Chinese satellite has spotted a suspected crash site.

http://www.news.com.au/world/oil-rig-worker-says-he-saw-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-burst-into-flames/story-fndir2ev-1226853302184

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Old news mate

If plane flew for hours after last know location it would indicate that pilots lost all ability to navigate and to communicate with people on the ground. So basically the flew blind, probably had the artificial horizon but that's it.

If they had no idea of where they were, or where they were going then it would explain them ending up in some crazy location, the Indian Ocean .

Would it be possible to lose all navigation tools and all ability to communicate?

Only speaking from Boeing pilots I know but compared to the Airbus (and I'm not getting into a Boeing -v- Airbus argument) they are regularly aware of the last heading because, when they go from one waypoint to the next e.g. GOTEM DCT EVRIN, they change the heading dial to match the heading to the next waypoint, so in the case of total nav failure it would be pretty easy to do a 180 and know that heading using basic navaids. That's my personal opinion. Regards no communication, I really don't know - There are so many possibilities it's hard to narrow it down to one and usually it never is the cause of just one thing. Accidents in aviation can be defined by a block of swiss cheese, when all the holes match up then there's the accident, its a combination of factors which create the perfect storm so to speak.
    I'm all for discussing! I'm a wee bit tired of the 'I worked on a bigger plane than you' or 'I'm a pilot, you just service planes' / 'You haven't a bogs notion what you're on about - go away from asking me questions'.

Some of us here might know as much about flying as we know .about jumping out of a parachute in terms of flying and we might know as little about an aircraft as we might know about the engine of an Audi. It does not leave us entirely unable to comment on an air accident, particularly in the absence of any data which might be interpretable by any regular on this forum.

Well I'm most certainly not a pilot but have extensive of knowledge of the sector for years now, and that I'm better then you stuff, there's really no point referring to it because in this situation nobody knows more than anybody else. I really don't see the point of continuing this to be honest now, as its just adding nothing to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

To those in the aviation industry. How common is it that a plane disappears off radar and loses radio contact? The reason I'm asking, is that I'm wondering why the automatic coverup, marking the flight as delayed until after the expected landing time.
    Surely the sensible thing to do, when a plane disapears off radar and radio, is to issue an alert to police forces, the military, emergengy services and maritime trafic, to look up and note what they see in the sky. Of course, if these things are happening regularly and if these type of alerts are being issued too often, the public might lose confidence in our airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Seeing as the oil worker's email has been brought up again...

Some people discredited the email because the address it was sent to was phuquoctwr@gmail.com .Having phu qu in the email address drew suspicion but there is an island called Phu Quoc Island south of Vietnam so it looks like the email address is legitimate one for Phu Quoc Control Tower maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Two U.S. officials tell ABC News the U.S. believes that the shutdown of two communication systems happened separately on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. One source said this indicates the plane did not come out of the sky because of a catastrophic failure.

The data reporting system, they believe, was shut down 1:07 a.m. The transponder -- which transmits location and altitude -- shut down at 1:21 a.m.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/malaysia-airliner-pinging-indication-crashed-indian-ocean/story?id=22894802

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If it does turn out to be terrorism there is presumably a connection to the incident a few weeks ago where 30 Chinese were stabbed in a railway station.

Basically, the plane went off the radar. This is a wee bit of a problem for the aviation industry. No-one who knows anything, is going to tell us anything.

In the meantime, anyone who knows anything about anything aviation related, will keep miles away from this thread, as they know no more than you or I.

They will occasionally let off a bit of steam about speculation etc., but largely add nothing to the information on the thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If it does turn out to be terrorism there is presumably a connection to the incident a few weeks ago where 30 Chinese were stabbed in a railway station.

if it was deliberate, i dont think it was terrorism. more like somebody with a problem or a personal agenda and unfortunately just happened to be on that flight. to know how to shut off the devices, suggests it was somebody in the crew perhaps.

Advertisement