Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

They are saying last contact with the plane was at 08.11 Malaysian time. That is over 7 and a half hours after the plane took off. We were told plane could fly for 5 more hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kippy wrote: »
    There were at least 4 calls made from planes on a mobile device in my recollection - so networks most certainly did allow calls from planes in certain situations. I may have been mistake on the texts as I cant find a record of them at the moment.
    Point still stands - do you take the chance?
    It was answered earlier; very low altitude combined with probably the strongest and most dense network array of masts on the planet. Let's not forget their location; a lot of these would be on the roof of every skyscraper in the city. If there was any chance of receiving a mobile signal on a plane, 9/11 would afford, without doubt, the best opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

With the lives of the 230 odd people at stake this must be one of the most fascinating events in recent history

Miracles do happen they say and I pray to God that one happens here and all the passengers are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dodzy wrote: »
    It was answered earlier; very low altitude combined with probably the strongest and most dense network array of masts on the planet. Let's not forget their location; a lot of these would be on the roof of every skyscraper in the city. If there was any chance of receiving a mobile signal on a plane, 9/11 would afford, without doubt, the best opportunity.

As I said, do you take a chance?

murphaph wrote: »
    And many consider that more or less miraculous. It was because France has a large navy capable of such an extended search operation and also because France is home to Airbus. They needed to find the cause of that crash more than the Malaysians need to find the cause of theirs. The same resources won't be available long term in this search operation.

Surprised that the Americans haven't sent more than one ship to the area given its an American made plane that's missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

murphaph wrote: »
    And many consider that more or less miraculous. It was because France has a large navy capable of such an extended search operation and also because France is home to Airbus. They needed to find the cause of that crash more than the Malaysians need to find the cause of theirs. The same resources won't be available long term in this search operation.

It wasn't the French that found AF447. It was the Americans.

It seems the two corridors that they are putting forward as to where the plane went are based on waypoints. It seems that the person controlling the plane was entering waypoints into the autopilot to get to these locations. The flight could then have taken 2 different flight paths based on the waypoints ahead of the plane. Thus the 2 diverging corridors that they are looking at.

They are saying last contact with the plane was at 08.11 Malaysian time. That is over 7 and a half hours after the plane took off. We were told plane could fly for 5 more hours.

KL to Beijing is 6 hrs flying time.....based on the the time flown it appears that the plane flew for atleast 12.5 hrs.....is it common for a flight to carry about 12 hours worth of fuel for a 6 hour flight?

Plane took off at 00.40 Malaysian time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

booth70 wrote: »
    Surprised that the Americans haven't sent more than one ship to the area given its an American made plane that's missing

Boeing & Rolls Royce are off the hook for any liability now. This just looks bad on Malaysian Airlines & the Malaysian Military/Government. I mean if a airplane enters your airspace with no transponder turned on & no comms and you do absolutly nothing...The Americans would have sent up half of their airforce to intercept, even Greece sent up F16's to intercept that Helios flight.

• Advertisement

It seems the two corridors that they are putting forward as to where the plane went are based on waypoints. It seems that the person controlling the plane was entering waypoints into the autopilot to get to these locations. The flight could then have taken 2 different flight paths based on the waypoints ahead of the plane. Thus the 2 diverging corridors that they are looking at.
    This means two huge new search areas have been set out - one heading towards Europe from Turkmenistan.

The second stretches from Indonesia into the southern Indian Ocean.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/mh370-live-deliberate-action-taken-3244038#ixzz2w1FH6jHb

Biv7L9JIcAA8U5r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

Boeing & Rolls Royce are off the hook for any liability now. This just looks bad on Malaysian Airlines & the Malaysian Military/Government. I mean if a airplane enters your airspace with no transponder turned on & no comms and you do absolutly nothing...The Americans would have sent up half of their airforce to intercept, even Greece sent up F16's to intercept that Helios flight.

Yes but air traffic control were in communication with the captain of Helios when he passed out. I really don't get people being surprised that jets weren't scrambled. Only a handful of countries in the world have that sort of capability. (Ireland isn't one of them either)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Fox news are currently showing a prog, with a panel of various aviation/military bods, discussing the various situations re this missing plane 'The Kelly File' I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

fits wrote: »
    Yes but air traffic control were in communication with the captain of Helios when he passed out. I really don't get people being surprised that jets weren't scrambled. Only a handful of countries in the world have that sort of capability. (Ireland isn't one of them either)
    Ireland would have to ask the RAF in UK. I would say ''Dithering'' is an issue here and speed is of the essence. Someone must make a very quick decision and stick to it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An interesting piece in the NYT. Claims that it could have crossed India, Pakistan and Afganistan are to be doubted. Their military hardware is not insignificant and an errant target the size of a 777 would be tracked by several radar stations and questioned.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

iora_rua wrote: »
    Fox news are currently showing a prog, with a panel of various aviation/military bods, discussing the various situations re this missing plane 'The Kelly File' I think.

It's a replay from atleast a couple hours ago (not taking anything away just making a point that it's not latest discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Am I the only one noting that this has taken the spotlight off the Ukraine?

In India currently....the news channels here are full of this story at present

The fact that there are a few Indians on board the plane and that the Indian navy is now involved in the search has only served to heighten the interest in this event.....one of the channels here has its reporter on one of the air force planes seaching the Indian ocean south of the Andamans... shows the enormity of the area being searched....vast expanses of ocean....its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dubl07 wrote: »

Yes. The Ukraine is still in just about every news bulletin. The latest is the US telling their citizens to clear out of Crimea and any Ukrainian/Russian border area. It's still very much in the spot light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Yeah it has to share the news time but to think they are connected is a bit of a stretch.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

Don't know about the Ukraine but here in India this story has indeed taken the spotlight off the two idiots campaigning to be the next Prime Minister of India in the upcoming general election here!

Sky saying pilot's house been investigated.

Sky saying pilot's house been investigated.
    Think they are clutching at straws now. It wont pinpoint the plane no matter what they find !

image.jpg

A few rogue nations in that circle...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Tabnabs wrote: »
    image.jpg

Pesky Australians!

2013LEO wrote: »
    I dont think the poster was saying that at all, you misread it I'd say.
    Every conspiracy theory starts out as a ''seed''. I can see a lot of ''Theorys'' coming out of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Tabnabs wrote: »

Those bloody Australians.

Visual data
    To find a missing plane, authorities carve up the search area into giant swaths of land and sea. Airplanes and boats then scour individual cells of the grid looking for evidence of wreckage, or anything that might point to the plane’s whereabouts.

Because the area is so enormous -- 35,000 miles or so -- the search is painstaking and slow. Aircraft at low altitudes can only cover 18 or 19 square miles in 8 hours, Digital Globe said.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/14/from-satellites-to-sonar-tech-to-hunt-missing-malaysian-plane/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

finix wrote: »
    Every conspiracy theory starts out as a ''seed''. I can see a lot of ''Theorys'' coming out of this

Theories perhaps?

It's all a bit like bog-snorkeling at the moment. Everyone's groping in the dark for possibilities, none of which should be discounted without consideration. It may be 'simple' terrorism or it may be Russia and China (allies) acting together to get a ****-load of Chinese Navy into Indonesia for some reason. It may have been Myanmar. Throwing theories out for consideration is adding to the debate and I hope that the people on the flight are still alive and have a possibility of returning home safely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Can't believe they are only searching pilot's house now. I thought they had said that the crew where 'fully investigated'.
    I understand people have rights, and that a court process (warrants etc) would be needed but with so many lives involved there seems to be a catalogue of dithering building up here.
    Would American authorities wait for almost a week, knowing what we know, before having a closer look at the crew.

Advertisement