Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accommodation worries

• 08-03-2014 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, I'm not sure if I'll get my first choice of DCU so decided not to apply for campus accommodation. I just looked at other student accommodation (shannoween hall & square) and they are booked out too.

I was going to leave my accommodation until Augest when I get my results/offers and was hoping I would be able to find student accommodation then.

This doesn't look like the case, will I now have to just wait 'til August and then rent a house or something with other students? (Which could be a problem as I know nobody!)

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Trust me, knowing nobody is almost better in college, as you'll force yourself into social situations. I went to college knowing a few and I lived with them, and to be honest I made no effort to get to know anybody else. You'll be fine leaving accommodation until August, because that's what a lot of people will be doing. Very few know there first choice will be DCU. And if you end having to stay with complete randomers, so be it, by the end of October, you'll feel like you've known them your entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

I know Gateway Student Village (same distance as Shanowen from DCU) can reserve a place for you until after you get your results. If you don't get DCU or decide to get another place instead you can get your deposit back. Just check what date you need to confirm exactly. But to be honest with you, it will save you a big headache as student accommodation is quite difficult in Dublin these days and August could be a bit tight for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joscia

HI I am looking at Gateway student accommodation for my daughter for sept. Could anyone tell me how long it takes to walk to DCU and what is the area like that she would be walking through. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Gateway is a good 15 min walk to dcu, its a well lit up path the whole way there along the main road. Its situated in ballymun and right beside a pool/gym and supervalu. It has security which is good they're very strict and dont allow over night guests i've heard the manager isnt the nicest though and some people have had issues with broadband etc but it will be full of first years and is right beside the main bus root in to o connell street too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

They just changed the broadband people so the internet is much better than what it was a while ago. If she is in the business school, she should make it in 10 mins from Gateway Student Village. It books out fairly fast though, so it would be an idea to reserve a place early enough in the summer. Management is quite sound and hand the deposit back if you decide to stay somewhere else instead or didn't get your place in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

i hope this isn't too out there but ....

how do people, errrm engage in nightly activities with friends, when all the accommodation places seem to not allow guests and if they do, you seem to have to sign them in or whatever at least a day in advance.. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

shannoween hall & square are only booked out for this year 13/14 not next year ( the year you will be going to college.)
    Applications will open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fusion19

Joscia wrote: »
    HI I am looking at Gateway student accommodation for my daughter for sept. Could anyone tell me how long it takes to walk to DCU and what is the area like that she would be walking through. thanks
    If at all possible don't live in gateway more of a prison than anything. Im a lad who thought he was afraid of nothing until I met the main guy that runs the place. He is downright evil and if I had a child going to college especially a daughter I wouldn't let them stay there its so bad that it could end up ruining the entire college experience. There are stories of him pinning guys against the wall and giving very serious threats. I could tell you a million stories about the place but id be typing all day. Apply for campus would be my advice and also look to get on the waiting list on shanowen. If all fails you can still go back to gateway after the results because I seriously doubt it will be full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

LoveLamps wrote: »
    i hope this isn't too out there but ....

how do people, errrm engage in nightly activities with friends, when all the accommodation places seem to not allow guests and if they do, you seem to have to sign them in or whatever at least a day in advance.. ?

Stick to nightly activities with people who also live in the same accommodation! Only other way to be 100% free with who comes and goes from your room/house is to live off campus really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 gary_is_hip

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    shannoween hall & square are only booked out for this year 13/14 not next year ( the year you will be going to college.)
    Applications will open soon.

OP, you probably already know this but just to be sure, this is not true. Applications for 2014/15 opened awhile ago for square and halls and they are both in fact booked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Konata wrote: »
    Stick to nightly activities with people who also live in the same accommodation! Only other way to be 100% free with who comes and goes from your room/house is to live off campus really.

Bit inconvenient if a nice game of poker or something unexpectedly breaks out! Thanks anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

megan2013 wrote: »
    I know Gateway Student Village (same distance as Shanowen from DCU) can reserve a place for you until after you get your results.

It's further than Shanowen. Shanowen is an area in Santry that borders DCU - it's 5 minutes away. Gateway is in Ballymun but still close enough. Maybe 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carlowmurphy

OP, you probably already know this but just to be sure, this is not true. Applications for 2014/15 opened awhile ago for square and halls and they are both in fact booked out.

Balls! Was planning applying to them both!
    Any chance of getting into either at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Balls! Was planning applying to them both!
    Any chance of getting into either at this stage?

people might have booked places but mighn't be going to DCU or a college in the area. i had a place booked in Gateway, but i got into Trinity so i didn't need the place. join the waiting list, if you're one of the first few on it you should be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carlowmurphy

people might have booked places but mighn't be going to DCU or a college in the area. i had a place booked in Gateway, but i got into Trinity so i didn't need the place. join the waiting list, if you're one of the first few on it you should be okay

Will do! Thank you :)

Advertisement