Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chelski V Spurs

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

KingdomYid wrote: »
    No matter what he was he was the best manager our club had in the time I have supported them. I do agree that the relationship was ruined after all the England speculation and he had to go. Having said that though, I can imagine our chairman is not the easiest man to work with.

There's no denying that was our best era in the PL, but to cast everything he done aside in those months leading to his sacking and welcome him back is borderline criminal in my opinion.

Levy is getting the blame for Redknapp going, Redknapp gets to be put out as this innocent man who suffered the axe of a trigger finger Chairman. He went of his own devices and shouldn't be allowed return, undermined the club showing no respect.

It was partly the clubs fault too, for leading him to believe that he was bigger than the club. Which i'm sure he well believed that himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Haha not your favourite manager, but you would have his Tottenham back in a flash if you could :D
    tom1ie wrote: »
    exactly his footballing record with spurs speaks for itself. Best era for a spurs fan in a long time, some lads will only realise that in a few years unfortunately.
    No matter what he was he was the best manager our club had in the time I have supported them. I do agree that the relationship was ruined after all the England speculation and he had to go. Having said that though, I can imagine our chairman is not the easiest man to work with.

Lads, a vital factor in the success back then was down to 2 of the best players we have had at the club in the last 20/30 years, Modric and Bale, we don't have anyone near as good as them pair today, sad to say considering all the money spent last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Lads, a vital factor in the success back then was down to 2 of the best players we have had at the club in the last 20/30 years, Modric and Bale, we don't have anyone near as good as them pair today, sad to say considering all the money spent last summer.

You forgot VDV and Ledley (sometimes). Maybe Harry was lucky but when he arrived it was 2 points from a possible 24 (you might remember him saying that once or twice :)) so he has to get credit for at the very least turning the ship around.

As for the money spent last summer. Sam Wallace in the Indepenent writes today;
    Garth Crooks memorably described Spurs’ summer transfer business as the club having “sold Elvis and bought the Beatles”. Six months on, the Elvis part looks right, but it would appear that, rather than the Beatles, Spurs have acquired the Lighthouse Family.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chances-are-levy-will-appoint-a-new-manager-at-spurs-but-they-would-be-better-off-backing-tim-sherwood-9180281.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hatch99 wrote: »

Hmm, neither were setting the world alight under Ramos though. Only until Redknapp was appointed did you really see the best of them. I wouldn't want him back, but the football we played under him was electric. We tore teams apart, passing was so fluid and we had that killer instinct. Our home record was bítching as opposed to now.

Those two players made huge impacts, and certainly won games as individuals. But the team as a whole were untied, and I think we managed okay when both were out injured.

I really hope we go all out for Van Gaal, we need an imposing presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Hmm, neither were setting the world alight under Ramos though. Only until Redknapp was appointed did you really see the best of them. I wouldn't want him back, but the football we played under him was electric. We tore teams apart, passing was so fluid and we had that killer instinct. Our home record was bítching as opposed to now.

Those two players made huge impacts, and certainly won games as individuals. But the team as a whole were untied, and I think we managed okay when both were out injured.

Agree re Bale winning games on his own but can't recall Modric doing it? Remind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    You forgot VDV and Ledley (sometimes). Maybe Harry was lucky but when he arrived it was 2 points from a possible 24 (you might remember him saying that once or twice :)) so he has to get credit for at the very least turning the ship around.

As for the money spent last summer. Sam Wallace in the Indepenent writes today;
    Garth Crooks memorably described Spurs’ summer transfer business as the club having “sold Elvis and bought the Beatles”. Six months on, the Elvis part looks right, but it would appear that, rather than the Beatles, Spurs have acquired the Lighthouse Family.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chances-are-levy-will-appoint-a-new-manager-at-spurs-but-they-would-be-better-off-backing-tim-sherwood-9180281.html

Yes we got an excellent 18 months or so out of VDV. Correct we had an awful start and he turned it around, but we had some very good players too in fairness and were never gonna go down.

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Yes I wouldn't disagree, we played some fine football.
    Agree re Bale winning games on his own but can't recall Modric doing it? Remind me.

Modric didn't stick out and win games on his own but he was excellent at what he did, you only have to look now at how he's doing this season at Madrid, probably the best player in the league this year behind Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Every game we won under Arry was because of the way Modric controlled things imo. The best Tottenham player I've seen since Hoddle.

Bale is an x factor player who can do remarakable things but Modric had a football brain and ability to receive the ball in any situation no player in England currently can get close to.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Every game we won under Arry was because of the way Modric controlled things imo. The best Tottenham player I've seen since Hoddle.

Bale is an x factor player who can do remarakable things but Modric had a football brain and ability to receive the ball in any situation no player in England currently can get close to.

You're going to make me link that final in the carling cup against Man united showing Only Modric's contribution aren't you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

golfball37 wrote: »

i have to agree modric was a class apart, remember the pass he gave bale, away to norwich

i do think soldado will come good, look at giroud, took a year to settle, negredo also at city is not setting the world on fire

eriksen is a good player and is beginning to show that,
    lamela, well who knows

chadli is a muppet

capoue, i still have not decided

chirices (spelling) looks decent but not outstanding

paulino, well if he gets his head right can be good

rose has to go, he aint good enough, naughton not good enough, walker is going backwards, dawson is a squad player, roll him out for the scraps
    townsend is overrated, lennon is in a nosedive

there is a serious problem behind the scenes and all is not well, it needs to be nipped in the bud now before it festers, if LVG is the new manager then i will be happy because i honestly think AVB was to young for the roles at spurs and chelsea and Sherwood is to inexperienced to command respect, he will prob be a good manager but he started too high too soon

You know what amazes me the most? Rose, Naughton, Dawson, Walker, Townsend and Lennon are all English players.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I see alot of guys naming Naughton,Dawson,Rose,Townsend as potential and perhaps (hopeful) departures in the summer,That would be 4 Home Grown players out of the 25 man squad, 5 if you include Defoe who is also gone.
    Unless we have some youngsters whom are capable of stepping up,I'm guessing that might shape our transfer policy come the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Kabouls red overturned. Surely Eto'o should be done for simulation?!
    http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2014/mar/kaboul-decision-upheld

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Great news, is there an end to his injury nightmare season. Chap desperately needs a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

This actually pisses me off no end!!!
    Of course im delighted but............:mad::mad::mad:

This actually pisses me off no end!!!
    Of course im delighted but............:mad::mad::mad:

I made a post about diving on the Bayern v Arsenal thread. Sticking her in here as can't be bothered rewriting it..
    irishmover wrote: »
    The art of deceiving is making it believable. Referees see incidents in normal play and award free kicks and penalties based on what they see. I'm fairly certain no referee has given a foul for a dive they've seen as a dive and not a genuine foul.

Either take that out of the referees hands during the game or have the FA of that league hand out post game disciplinary action for diving.

The referee, unless corrupt, is not at fault for a player cheating. Aside from as I mentioned not giving every player they see dive a card.

For example. Kabouls foul on Eto'o which resulted in a penalty and a straight red card was a dive from Eto'o. The FA rescinded Kabouls red but no action was taken on Eto'o. Some could argue that incident had won the game for Chelsea, so essentially deceiving referees into making game changing decisions is not being punished.

Diving will continue until the day people in power decide to retrospectively ban players for 1-3 games for diving

Eto'o getting nothing is criminal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Eto'o getting nothing is criminal.

And people will still say "Ah sure it's part of the game".

Well it ****ing shouldn't be :mad:

Kiith wrote: »
    And people will still say "Ah sure it's part of the game".

Well it ****ing shouldn't be :mad:

Well I raised a point in that thread because someone had said football is a contact sport and other people were saying simulation is part of the game.

Football for me hasn't been much of a contact sport for years.

Player has the ball, if you touch him 9 times out of 10 that player will go down and be awarded a free kick or penalty.

The players for me have turned it into a none(or every limited) contact sport.

The game is going to go nowhere but backwards unless FA's start enforcing bans for diving.

• Advertisement

Which raises the question, on what grounds did the FA rescind Kabouls ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Which raises the question, on what grounds did the FA rescind Kabouls ban.

Spurs 0 City 1. Spurs doing OK. Danny Rose red card (later rescinded), penalty, 0-2, game over.
    Chelsea 1 Spurs 0. Spurs doing OK. Younes Kaboul red card (later rescinded), penalty, 2-0, game over.

And these red cards may have cost us valuable points!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Patww79 wrote: »

No. No no no! :mad:

Sorry, i absolutely disagree with this. Diving is cheating, end of. I'll never see it in the same vein as dribbling, and i hope to god no one else does. That takes skill and whole lot of practice. Falling down looking for a cheap free doesn't. We need something similar to citations in rugby, and anyone caught blatantly diving needs to be banned. Repeat offenders get multiple game bans.

I hate when people think it's ok to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'm a bit late to the table on this one but catching up on this thread I strongly disagree with comments that TS had the right tactics/selection up until we committed football suicide. I'm not just saying this with the benefit of hindsight .. This was how I felt during the game. If the tactics were so spot on then we would have turned our first 60 mins into goals or at least stayed competitive after the sending off.

We just managed to hold them off but they always had another gear in them.

Also, while the Verts slip was not Sherwood's fault, I think its fairly obvioiysly that TS (or more to the point, the entire coaching staff) are to blame. If it was a one off, fair enough but the mistakes and poor performance last week are entirely the fault of the back room team. Thus **** has been happening for weeks and its started under AVB and TS has failed to come in and rectify it, in fact he has neglected it and thus made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

Nobody can get Tim's team right

Advertisement