Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPW Jobs

• 08-03-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Had an interview with OPW about five week ago for summer work in Kilkenny Castle. Haven't heard back from them. Does anyone know if these jobs have been filled?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Have you heard anything back yet? My friend did her interview for Cashel 3 weeks ago and was expecting to hear about it this week, but nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phyrexian

They took 2 and a half months to get back to a friend of mine (he was interviewed before Christmas). He rang them after a month and they said they had not decided yet. So I wouldn't worry about it yet. I was interviewed in early February and I've heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ElisaJane

Thanks for replies. Got rejection letter yesterday. On a panel should further vacancies become available.
    Have since found out that they re-employed 'long-termers' (from last year's panel) on 1st March and 'short-time' jobs will become available in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

Haven't heard a thing since sending in my application in November. Can I assume I won't get an interview or will there be further recruitment in the summer?

I gathered at my interview that there were several jobs available over a staged period.
    A friend who worked there last year told me that those who started in March get an 8 month contract and those that start in May get a 5 month contract.
    Don't know if they are holding another round of interviews for the May jobs.
    Nothing worse than waiting to see if you have gotten an interview - should you perhaps give them a ring at this stage?

• Advertisement

ElisaJane, I got an e-mail yesterday (Tuesday) saying that I have an interview with the OPW next week. I guess it is for the 5 month contract positions that you mentioned. Anyway, just wondering what sort of questions you were asked. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Can I ask where the OPW jobs were advertised? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blackpool123

Sportsmad1, I had interview a few weeks ago with the OPW for one of the sites.
    They ask general questions, what you think people visiting the site should expect from your service, a bit about your background, why you chose this site? what do you know about the site? Have you ever been to the site before??
    I was asked did i know any other sites the OPW were looking after outside of dublin. My interview was for a dublin site ;)

Best of luck with it anyway.

And ElisaJane, ye I had asked how many positions were available and got similar notions that they would be re-employing people who had 'already done 2/3 interviews'

I'm still waiting to hear back....ahhhh!!!

Can I ask where the OPW jobs were advertised? Thanks.

They were advertised on the OPW website back in November. This is done every year to hire seasonal tour guides for early spring and the summer months. Keep an eye out on the site next November.

Thanks for the reply blackpool123. By the way, would a suit be too formal to wear to the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blackpool123

SportsMad1 wrote: »
    They were advertised on the OPW website back in November. This is done every year to hire seasonal tour guides for early spring and the summer months. Keep an eye out on the site next November.

Thanks for the reply blackpool123. By the way, would a suit be too formal to wear to the interview?

I went with a suit and I didn't feel out of place. It was a very relaxed atmosphere now, so you would be fine in trousers/slacks and a nice jumper/shirt.

I think I saw it advertised somewhere else( i check a lot of jobs sites) but I don't think I would be on the OPW website that often.

• Advertisement

SportsMad1 - best of luck at interview.
    As blackpool 123. mentioned - lots of questions about the site. Try and have a few dates in your head.
    Questions about your general background
    How you would handle a dis-satisfied customer
    I was asked if I had visited the site before and when was the last time that I was there
    Questions about health & safety
    Some people were asked if they knew who was the Minister responsible for the OPW (Brian Hayes)

I wore a suit - saw a man coming out and he was wearing a smart trousers and jacket, shirt & tie

Best of luck at the interview
    Let us know how you get on

Had my interview earlier today. The questions asked were along expected lines. Alot of questions about dealing with customers, different scenarios etc. They seemed to be prompting me to mention Health and Safety which I did. What service customers should expect. Not as many questions about the history of the site itself. Was I familiar with other sites in the area. They went through my application and asked Qs about it. The area that I live in holds some historical significance so they asked about that. Had I been to sites outside my county, what did I know about them etc. By the way, thanks to all for the hints, tips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phyrexian

Sorry to resurrect this thread but the OPW are ringing everyone on the panel. So future applicants do not give up unless you get a rejection letter. :)

Advertisement