Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Graduate visa for Irish students

Options
  • 08-03-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any information regards graduate visas for Canada. I'm finishing my course in about two months and hope to head over to Canada to work and live for a year or two maybe. I'm unsure of exactly which visa i need though, i was under the impression that having graduated i would be eligible for a 2 year working visa but from looking around online i'm not sure if it's as simple as that now.

My plan is to head over in November and work in a mountain resort for a winter season and then move on to Vancouver after that to find employment in IT and take things from there. I could be wrong but having tried to look into it a bit more i think the graduate visa is more about finding newly qualified students internships in Canada is that right?

If so that's not what i want at all, I've already been through two interships and I'm currently working in my field of study so another internship is the last thing i want. Basically i just need to know if I should be looking at applying for a working holiday or live and work visa instead and put my name in for the IEC application like everyone else and hope i get picked or will the graduate visa allow me some freedom to go and do a season when i arrive and work in the ski resort for winter and then find a proper job after?

I hope that all makes sense :o

Any information anyone has would really be appreciated!

Thnaks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi there, I'm not familiar with Canada's graduate visa. It's definitely available to us?

The working holiday visa is perfect for this. There is plenty of other graduates around using this visa and it allows fairly unrestricted work, study, travel, entering and exiting the country without hassle. It's the exact opposite of the Australian visa which I believe limits unemployment to 'casual jobs' with various other restrictions.

If you browse the threads here, there are plenty of Irish grads in Canada with this visa without problems. There is even better news. To the best of my understanding, Ireland has an accelerated permanent residency agreement with Canada. I believe that if we work full-time for just one year within that two year visa then we are eligible to apply for PR (which takes a long time) which then dissolves the expirary date. If you Google it, you'll find interviews with the then Canadian immigration minister saying that they accept that many immigrants use this visa type to come to live permenantly and are very welcoming of experienced and educated Irish. The point is that they know and welcome. The Aussie WH visa I believe is far riskier.

If there is anyone more knowledgeable on this, feel free to chime in. This is to the best of my understanding.

Advertisement