Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is waterford city like to live?

• 08-03-2014 12:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

what is waterford city like to live? is it safe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Depends where you're going to be living really. Like any city it has its good and bad areas. I've lived here most of my life and I've never been affected by crime. There are some estates that are populated by students during the college term so that wouldn't paint a nice picture of the city if ended up in the middle of that. A lot of the estates that would have had bad names in the past are now older and wiser, with much of the scummy element grown up and moved on.

In the centre of town you have a nice selection of bars and cafes, and an amazing selection of top class, award winning restaurants.

Unemployment is the highest rate in Waterford than any other county, but that's slowly but surely changing. Some bars are closing, but others are also about to open..

If I could compare Waterford in 2013/14 to a Premier League Football team, it would be Man Utd. If you know your soccer that means we were amazing in the 90s and 00s but not so good at the moment.

It's just a blip though, good times are on the way. Come, join us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

It's just a blip though, good times are on the way. Come, join us!
    Some blip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

It's boring.

And they called me negative...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭deadybai

ah its a grand place. Fairly boring compared to other citys like Dublin, Galway,Cork and Limerick. I would definitely consider it safe but as said above it has its bad areas but you generally can easily avoid them. Personally I wouldnt recommend moving here. If you were retiring it would be grand. All and all its just bland. Noting too bad about it but nothing too goo about it. If I was moving anywhere it would be Kilkenny city as it seems to be very much on the up. Everyone will have their different thoughts but there're just mine x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Tis a nice place boi.
    Just dont have any jobs.

Could the people who say it's boring please elaborate?

Compare it to say...Kilkenny, or Tipperary, or Wexford...or limerick...

Why exactly is Waterford boring? What exactly can't you do here that you can do in those other counties?

Could the people who say it's boring please elaborate?

Compare it to say...Kilkenny, or Tipperary, or Wexford...or limerick...

Why exactly is Waterford boring? What exactly can't you do here that you can do in those other counties?

well most people here are really conservative and will only stay in their clique of friends. Especially women who assume that every guy that chats to them is coming on to them. :D . A lot of good places have closed down over the years. The nightlife is poor with not much variety. A lot of shops have either closed down or just have never been here in the first place. There are festivals like winterville and sproai but they are generally for children.

I dunno. I think the social side here is poor compared to other counties. Its just the way the people here are. I mighten seem like a lot but it is. I just think that people from other counties, while I wouldnt say that there're more friendly, but I just think that there're more outgoing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Waterford is alot smaller than Limerick or Cork or even Galway and has smaller populations. So when you say they've got more to do or better nightlife it's true but that's cos they're bigger.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Waterford is alot smaller than Limerick or Cork or even Galway and has smaller populations. So when you say they've got more to do or better nightlife it's true but that's cos they're bigger.

yeah but small towns like Kilkenny, Clonmel, Wexford have better nightlifes then here and some better shops too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Not this again.

Waterford is boring. If you move to Waterford you will wake up one day at 40 years of age and realise you just had the most unfulfilling repetitive life you could possibly imagine. Peoples lives consist of doing the same things over and over and over with the same people and blaming everything on someone else. If something bad is said Kilkenny is for some reason brought into the conversation.

Its amazing that people talk about the place as if Waterford was once comparable to Paris, London and Milan just cause it had a Glass factory. Even during the boom times all it had was a few more overpriced shops and couple of more nightclubs.

Ok, I'll address a couple of things.

You get out of Waterford exactly what you put into it. Don't wander around John Street for a few hours and then tell me that our nightlife is ****e.

Clonmel is an absolute kip of a town but because it has a Marks and Spencers people think it's better than Waterford. Rubbish. They only have a handful of bars up there and they all seem to just go into one, the wheelie bin of ****e that is O'Keeffes. I wouldn't live up there if you gave me a free house and a bucket of fifties.

Wexford. You're having a laugh now surely. The town of a thousand one way streets. What does it have that Waterford doesn't have? Nothing. The bars are just as dead down there most of the week. Ask someone from Wexford what they think of their town and if they're not too busy slitting their wrists they might be able to give you an answer.

And then we have Kilkenny, Waterford's cruel mistress. The place that we are so obsessed with that we forget that it's actually a lot quieter than Waterford is. Failte Ireland figures for the past 2 years show that more tourists visited Waterford than Kilkenny, but for some reason we have this stupid inferiority complex about it. I'd love to know, what does Kilkenny have that Waterford doesn't?
    Waterford is boring

Well yeah...if you sit at home all day doing nothing. WE have beaches all around us. Some of the best restaurants and cafes in the country. We have some amazing museums, galleries and theatres with stuff happening every week. I'm actually heading out to Tramore for a swim at 11 o clock...

Waterford's current problem is the centre of town but it's a problem that's caused by the people of Waterford themselves. They have neglected the city centre. It's a double edged sword really because as soon as people stopped going into town, shops decided to close earlier, pubs were forced to close...What's needed is something different down there. I think a JD Wetherspoon would have attracted people people down there, and i fear it's going to have to be an international name like that to make any difference at this stage.

I think, instead of complaining that you're bored, why not get off your arse and contribute in some way? Organise an event or something...this is supposed to be your city too but all you seem to want to do is sit back and expect it to entertain you.

I despair for the city, because of the majority of its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Ok, I'll address a couple of things.

You get out of Waterford exactly what you put into it. Don't wander around John Street for a few hours and then tell me that our nightlife is ****e.

Clonmel is an absolute kip of a town but because it has a Marks and Spencers people think it's better than Waterford. Rubbish. They only have a handful of bars up there and they all seem to just go into one, the wheelie bin of ****e that is O'Keeffes. I wouldn't live up there if you gave me a free house and a bucket of fifties.

Wexford. You're having a laugh now surely. The town of a thousand one way streets. What does it have that Waterford doesn't have? Nothing. The bars are just as dead down there most of the week. Ask someone from Wexford what they think of their town and if they're not too busy slitting their wrists they might be able to give you an answer.

And then we have Kilkenny, Waterford's cruel mistress. The place that we are so obsessed with that we forget that it's actually a lot quieter than Waterford is. Failte Ireland figures for the past 2 years show that more tourists visited Waterford than Kilkenny, but for some reason we have this stupid inferiority complex about it. I'd love to know, what does Kilkenny have that Waterford doesn't?

Well yeah...if you sit at home all day doing nothing. WE have beaches all around us. Some of the best restaurants and cafes in the country. We have some amazing museums, galleries and theatres with stuff happening every week. I'm actually heading out to Tramore for a swim at 11 o clock...

Waterford's current problem is the centre of town but it's a problem that's caused by the people of Waterford themselves. They have neglected the city centre. It's a double edged sword really because as soon as people stopped going into town, shops decided to close earlier, pubs were forced to close...What's needed is something different down there. I think a JD Wetherspoon would have attracted people people down there, and i fear it's going to have to be an international name like that to make any difference at this stage.

I think, instead of complaining that you're bored, why not get off your arse and contribute in some way? Organise an event or something...this is supposed to be your city too but all you seem to want to do is sit back and expect it to entertain you.

I despair for the city, because of the majority of its people.

Looks like me and you are in agreement for once Dicky.:eek::D

But just one thing. You cannot lay the blame at the feet of Waterford people. The City centre was destroyed by pedestrianisation. It tore the soul from it. Now, people will point to Grafton Street etc, but it isn't comparable.

We also have the situation with the Council placing all their eggs in the one basket in the Viking Triangle. Will it succeed? It remains to be seen.

Regarding surrounding towns:

* Kilkenny: as you point out, there is a perception that it does better than Waterford because the pubs are full at the weekend.:roll eyes: However, they have an advantage in the Castle, strategically located and immaculately maintained by the OPW. The same OPW that is leaving Waterford's City walls go to rack and ruin. Junction of Parliament Street/Castle street is an absolute eyesore.

* Clonmel: wouldn't describe it as a kip. A lovely town with nice character and the surrounding scenery is spectacular. Has a lot going for it.

* Wexford: again a nice spot with a lovely riverfront. And nice to wander around the 'thousand streets'.

The main difference between these places and Waterford is that the authorities running them seem to go that extra yard when maintaining them. Unlike, sadly, Waterford City.

The expansion of Penney's (who have single-handedly drawn people into the City Centre IMHO) is welcomed at this critical economic stage. The rumoured arrival of M&S is also a Godsend. There are also talks of H&M plus Nu-Look.

Provided some idiot doesn't object to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I agree with a lot of what you said. There is plenty to do if you spend a bit of time looking.

This is the part that I disagree with:
    Waterford's current problem is the centre of town but it's a problem that's caused by the people of Waterford themselves. They have neglected the city centre.

IMO, the reason people neglect the city center is because it is a disaster to drive around. I really dislike driving into Waterford City because of the terrible traffic management. There really are not that many cars going through the city, but whoever does drive through will get stopped by every set of lights there. Surely the lights should be synced and let more than 3-4 cars pass at a time??

That is my reason for avoiding Waterford city center when I can. The ring road makes getting anywhere else nice and quick.

Going back to the op's question about what is it like to live in.. It all depends on your age, your interests etc.. but Waterford should cover most bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you said. There is plenty to do if you spend a bit of time looking.

This is the part that I disagree with:

IMO, the reason people neglect the city center is because it is a disaster to drive around. I really dislike driving into Waterford City because of the terrible traffic management. There really are not that many cars going through the city, but whoever does drive through will get stopped by every set of lights there. Surely the lights should be synced and let more than 3-4 cars pass at a time??

That is my reason for avoiding Waterford city center when I can. The ring road makes getting anywhere else nice and quick.

Going back to the op's question about what is it like to live in.. It all depends on your age, your interests etc.. but Waterford should cover most bases.

Agree on the traffic thing. In their efforts to drive cars out of the city Centre they are driving people out also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I like the charm of the place, Its big but not too big that you would get lost, It has nice city center where you know where everything is and everything conveniently located. lots of places of interest for history lovers. nice scenery outside of the city

Well we've got a discussion going anyway. I was a tad flippant with some of my comments, especially with regard to our neighbours but if you go to Clonmel or Wexford or even Kilkenny you'll find many people that are not enthused about the place where they live. Change must come from ourselves first. If you think the council should be doing more to make certain areas more accessible etc then lobby them...let them know your feelings. Sitting back and declaring your boredom is a little bit...
    kevin_teenager_270.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I am from Waterford and it is not without its charms. Few nice restaurants, beaches close by, mountains close by.
    But there is a severe lack of jobs of any quality. Also there is a lot of the repetiveness of people doing the same thing day in and day out and won't change. This contributes the issues.

It took me to live in Dublin and now cork to see the difference. Also the fact it is being compared to clonmel, wexford and kilkenny which are all towns says a lot.

We should be comparing ourselves to and striving to be compared to Dublin, limerick and cork as major cities in.our country.

Again this small minded attitude adds to our downfall IMO. Still love the city though and hope that it is on the up soon. Change of mindset would go along way to helping this.

I am from Waterford and it is not without its charms. Few nice restaurants, beaches close by, mountains close by.
    But there is a severe lack of jobs of any quality. Also there is a lot of the repetiveness of people doing the same thing day in and day out and won't change. This contributes the issues.

It took me to live in Dublin and now cork to see the difference. Also the fact it is being compared to clonmel, wexford and kilkenny which are all towns says a lot.

We should be comparing ourselves to and striving to be compared to Dublin, limerick and cork as major cities in.our country.

Again this small minded attitude adds to our downfall IMO. Still love the city though and hope that it is on the up soon. Change of mindset would go along way to helping this.

Going back to the whole blame everyone else and constantly compare Waterford to everyone else. Its not the politicians fault. Its the complete lack of ambition and hopelessness in Waterford people. No dreams. No hopes. Happy to be on the dole. Was always the same. Nothing has changed.

Clonmel...Kip....Kilkenny...Kip... Carlow....Kip...

Who cares get over it.

Every single thread always just starts trying to justify it by comparing it to other places. There all kips.

Ive lived all over and ill tell you straight up the difference is attitude. People in other places don't just start talking about other counties as soon as their county is criticised. Really horrible and backwards trait that Waterford people have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You cant compare the nightlife of Waterford with KK. KK is miles ahead, they have more bars, the pubs and hotels are more spread out throughout the town, its has more to do for tourists (Castle, craft shops, bus tour etc) and there is just more of an atmosphere in KK after dark. Waterford nightlife consists of the same old heads in the same old places (Geoffs and Front Lounge) week after week after month after year, dancing to the same old bands (Divil the Bit), lamenting the fact that Waterford is so dull and lacks variety and we never get jobs etc etc etc.

The problem with this city is that we have a very bad reputation outside of Waterford for being work shy union-loving militant entitled employees. I have seen it myself for years and I know the type- the slightest change in working conditions and they stamp down their feet and run to the shop steward and quote every single employment law thats out there to avoid doing work- they will stage sit ins, strikes and work to rule if they dont get their own way and that leaves companies very reluctant to take a chance with us. The latest sit-in in The Park Inn wont do us any favours either- I know the lads should get their money but they are not going to change the way business works by holding the place to ransom- its tough but plenty of other pubs and bars had to just accept the times we live in.

Waterford has nice beaches, a lot of history and the people by and large are friendly but we have to drag ourselves out of this rut and project a more inviting and positive vibe to others or else we will continue to be ignored by business and government and the banks (scum of the earth in my opinion, they were bailed out by the taxpayers and they STILL ride us) and all we will be left with is moaning over a few pints in The Yellow House, going on about the "good old days"..

Going back to the whole blame everyone else and constantly compare Waterford to everyone else. Its not the politicians fault. Its the complete lack of ambition and hopelessness in Waterford people. No dreams. No hopes. Happy to be on the dole. Was always the same. Nothing has changed.

Clonmel...Kip....Kilkenny...Kip... Carlow....Kip...

Who cares get over it.

Every single thread always just starts trying to justify it by comparing it to other places. There all kips.

Ive lived all over and ill tell you straight up the difference is attitude. People in other places don't just start talking about other counties as soon as their county is criticised. Really horrible and backwards trait that Waterford people have.

You are a bit curt in your delivery but I do agree with you on the lack of ambition in Waterford. The amount of people I know who are happy to stay in minimum wage jobs for their whole lives is shocking. And Im not even talking about people who had to take a low paid job when times were tough, Im on about the people who happily plod to the supermarket or shop from 9am to 6pm every single day, stacking shelves, scanning beans and then looking forward to yet another night out in <groan> Geoffs talking about the same old rubbish. And dont get me wrong if you are happy in your job then fair play but sooo many opportunities exist in and around Waterford to better yourself through college or evening courses and yet so many people just shrug and say "Ah shur im grand" and end up spending their whole lives and dying in Waterford.

I dont get it, when I lived in Galway I never saw such traits in people same with Cork. Generally people want to further themselves and see a bit of the world. But Waterford has a strange characteristic that roots people to the city from birth to death.

Jesus Christ. The irony of some of you complaining about bad attitudes...

What makes you say that? It is a true statement to say that a good amount of the population of Waterford feel that everything should stay the same and are allergic to change. I have family living there and can still say that.

Best thing I ever did was move away and would have no intention of moving back full time any time soon. Not until there is a serious shift in mindset.

What makes you say that? It is a true statement to say that a good amount of the population of Waterford feel that everything should stay the same and are allergic to change. I have family living there and can still say that.

Best thing I ever did was move away and would have no intention of moving back full time any time soon. Not until there is a serious shift in mindset.

What is wrong with pointing out exactly what Waterford is like? I am not speculating or hypothesizing here: I have lived and worked in many of the main factories in Waterford over the years so when I say a lot of Waterford people are union friendly and unambitious and dull when it comes to nightlife choice then I know exactly what Im talking about. The OP asked what Waterford is like so Im not going to paint a false picture of happiness just for show. Yes it has its good points but the attitude of a lot of its people does bring it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

Waterford is not a city, its nothing more than a town. Its the most ugly 'city' in the country by far. The night life is also terrible. It has suffered a lot over the years.

On the plus side, its situated in a great location - there are come lovely coastal villages/towns only a few minutes drive away. There are some nice restaurants around and for such a small place the shopping isn't to bad - you can usually find what you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Waterford is a great little city. Would nt personally want to live there tho. Think tramore is one of best towns in Ireland but problem is jobs .jobs .jobs

Its the absolute truth. Ive lived in Dublin and Clonmel and the last thing they will talk about is other counties. Its definitely a Waterford thing to constantly talk about what other people have and do.

Not sure where it comes from. Maybe its just a large part of the population is from outside Waterford with WIT and that. Not sure.

People just so easily get stuck in a comfort zone in a minimum wage job as someone else mentioned and just dont want to go any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

What irritates me is people who complain about a situation and have no inclination to do anything about it.

I moved to Waterford about 5 months ago with the intention of sitting out the winter on a short-term let and then going travelling. Tell you what, I've shelved the travel plans! Because people are more interested in gawking at screens than contributing to their community, Waterford has a lot of untapped potential. I've been exploiting this, primarily by organising DIY gigs (ever heard of Dole City Punx? You will!). People are loving it - one gig a month in Murphy's on the quay, great sessions. The next one is March 20th. I've got a load of wandering Americans playing acoustic punk (Rail Yard Ghosts, Peasants and Crusty P) and Noisy Coincidence from Arklow and Gorey along with that. Come along, it'll be great fun!

With a positive attitude and a bit of proactivity, you can shape a medium-sized town to your own liking. Writing it off as a kip is a lazy cop-out. It's not someone else's job to make your life better, you have to take a bit of responsibility.

So in short, yeah, Waterford's grand. :)

Advertisement