Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is waterford city like to live?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Waterford is a great place to live, I have lived in Cork and personally didnt like the place one bit. I also lived abroad loved it and returned. Maybe im bias but I love coming in from the M9 and seeing the lights of the quays stretch down the river - that view is unrivaled in ANY city or town in Ireland and i would go as far as to say any city anywhere I have traveled. There has been huge improvements made in the city in the past few years (arguably more should of been done during the boom but things are getting going now) The viking triangle it the biggest urban renewal initiative taking place in the country at the moment and in the coming years will help to develop an industry that most of the posters here have forgotten about - tourism (which leads to jobs). We have festivals of world class standard The Tall Ships, Spraoi, Winterval, Festival of Food to name a few. I cant be the only one that thinks this way T&Hs was sold this week for half a million euro, Pennys are extending to make Waterford one of their A stores, planning permission in for H&M and other high street store(s), WIT has got 5 million for R&D this week also. Granted the nightlife seems to be bunched up around John Street but there are other options the Reg is a nice spot not too far of a walk, Red Kettle Sessions in Central Hall is quite good. So its not all doom and gloom ere in Waterford. I do respect peoples opinions but I would suggest you come down for a weekend, maybe a festival weekend and take a look yourself! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Hi,

I'm speaking as a mum with young kids. I Love living in Waterford. Its a safe, friendly place to bring up a family. There is a great selection of really good schools, from pre school, to primary to secondary. The WIT also offers some fantastic courses and the fees for part time are a lot less than many other third levels institutes. My kids are doing really well at school, their teachers are to be commended.

We have an amazing choice of extra curriculum activities to partake in. At the moment, my kids attend dance classes, camogie, beavers, swimming lessons. And there are plans to take up taekwondo, some surf lessons and horse riding this summer and goodness know what else will come along. Point is we are always busy, there is always something to do ! We love day trips to the people's park, tramore, Dunmore, fenor, the comeragh mountains or we can head in the opposite direction to Inistiogue, Kennedy park etc. All of these are within 20/30 minutes from us and all are free ! On rainy days, we go swimming, or to one of the many librarys or museums or if we are splashing out, we'll head to run amuck or the pottery barn. Another important things in healthcare, if my kids are sick , I can pretty much get to see a doctor the very same day, we have had some great experiences with the local hospital, dentists etc.

Aside from the kids, I personally love eating out and we are spoilt for choice with restaurants and cafe's in Waterford. There are some outstanding restaurants here, Bodega, La Athmosphere, EMilianos', Café Goa, you can eat international cuisine for quite reasonable if you go for the early bird menus, which most of the restaurants offer. I also love catching a show at the theatre royal or the forum. Have seen some fantastic musicals and more recently saw Des Bishop in the forum. Great night out and there is something for everyone's taste. As for the night life down town, well I'm usually happy enough with live music and there are a couple of places doing some really decent music now.

Waterford has lots of things going for it,, the new Desiegreenway, will be a massive plus for those who love the great outdoors and we have plenty of that here. I feel life is what you make of it and having a positive attitude is a big plus no matter where in the world you live. You gotta make your own fun in life and moaning about the place you live is just foolish. Either pack up and move on or get a more positive attitude, open your eyes to all that is good around you and try to see the positives rather than the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Well we've got a discussion going anyway. I was a tad flippant with some of my comments, especially with regard to our neighbours but if you go to Clonmel or Wexford or even Kilkenny you'll find many people that are not enthused about the place where they live. Change must come from ourselves first. If you think the council should be doing more to make certain areas more accessible etc then lobby them...let them know your feelings. Sitting back and declaring your boredom is a little bit...
    kevin_teenager_270.jpg

I know someone who has. But nothing changes.

christy02 wrote: »
    I am from Waterford and it is not without its charms. Few nice restaurants, beaches close by, mountains close by.
    But there is a severe lack of jobs of any quality. Also there is a lot of the repetiveness of people doing the same thing day in and day out and won't change. This contributes the issues.

It took me to live in Dublin and now cork to see the difference. Also the fact it is being compared to clonmel, wexford and kilkenny which are all towns says a lot.

We should be comparing ourselves to and striving to be compared to Dublin, limerick and cork as major cities in.our country.

Again this small minded attitude adds to our downfall IMO. Still love the city though and hope that it is on the up soon. Change of mindset would go along way to helping this.

The Government should be placing us on a par, long with the media. Not happening.

Waterford is not a city, its nothing more than a town. Its the most ugly 'city' in the country by far.

Such an ignorant comment really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I second MillyD's post, I'm not from Waterford but married a Waterford man while living abroad and moved her in 1997.

I love living in Waterford, it took me about 18 months to settle and there were times I wanted to move back to London as I found Waterford people tended to keep to themselves as they already had their friends but I met people with similiar interests and have made some great friends.

Being from Galway I hate the traffic whenever I go back home. I love the convenience of a small city with easy access to the countryside and beaches just minutes away. There are plenty of negative people in Galway too who love to tell anyone who will listen that nothing good crosses the shannon for the West. I'm not gone on Dublin, prefer Cork over Dublin anyday.

It doesn't matter where you live there's good and bad points about most places. Waterford is what you make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

deisemum wrote: »
    I found Waterford people tended to keep to themselves as they already had their friends

I heard this from a few people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    I heard this from a few people

But you're aware that this is a generalisation that you can put on anyone from anywhere?

You look at anyone that starts a thread on boards about being new to the city etc...people are always very quick to offer themselves up as company and friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

But you're aware that this is a generalisation that you can put on anyone from anywhere?

You look at anyone that starts a thread on boards about being new to the city etc...people are always very quick to offer themselves up as company and friends etc

Yeah I agree that it is a generalisation, but I find it interesting that I have heard it from a few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree that it is a generalisation, but I find it interesting that I have heard it from a few people.

Could say the same thing about Limerick.... or while we are it you could say it about the entire population of Ireland.

I love how people think Waterford issues are solely Waterford issues and do not apply to the rest of Ireland, do people ever actually leave their hometown at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

People couldn't have been more friendly to me in Waterford, and that's me with a funny accent too.

Just honest good people like you meet everywhere.

A bit down in the dumps recently but not anyway as bad as what they are made out to be.

Waterford and and its surroundings have a lot going for it, the only down side is the lack of choices now compared to other bigger cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm speaking as a mum with young kids. I Love living in Waterford. Its a safe, friendly place to bring up a family. There is a great selection of really good schools, from pre school, to primary to secondary. The WIT also offers some fantastic courses and the fees for part time are a lot less than many other third levels institutes. My kids are doing really well at school, their teachers are to be commended.

We have an amazing choice of extra curriculum activities to partake in. At the moment, my kids attend dance classes, camogie, beavers, swimming lessons. And there are plans to take up taekwondo, some surf lessons and horse riding this summer and goodness know what else will come along. Point is we are always busy, there is always something to do ! We love day trips to the people's park, tramore, Dunmore, fenor, the comeragh mountains or we can head in the opposite direction to Inistiogue, Kennedy park etc. All of these are within 20/30 minutes from us and all are free ! On rainy days, we go swimming, or to one of the many librarys or museums or if we are splashing out, we'll head to run amuck or the pottery barn. Another important things in healthcare, if my kids are sick , I can pretty much get to see a doctor the very same day, we have had some great experiences with the local hospital, dentists etc.

Aside from the kids, I personally love eating out and we are spoilt for choice with restaurants and cafe's in Waterford. There are some outstanding restaurants here, Bodega, La Athmosphere, EMilianos', Café Goa, you can eat international cuisine for quite reasonable if you go for the early bird menus, which most of the restaurants offer. I also love catching a show at the theatre royal or the forum. Have seen some fantastic musicals and more recently saw Des Bishop in the forum. Great night out and there is something for everyone's taste. As for the night life down town, well I'm usually happy enough with live music and there are a couple of places doing some really decent music now.

Waterford has lots of things going for it,, the new Desiegreenway, will be a massive plus for those who love the great outdoors and we have plenty of that here. I feel life is what you make of it and having a positive attitude is a big plus no matter where in the world you live. You gotta make your own fun in life and moaning about the place you live is just foolish. Either pack up and move on or get a more positive attitude, open your eyes to all that is good around you and try to see the positives rather than the negatives.

Bit weird that you registered another account to give Waterford a well thought out positive review. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Bit weird that you registered another account to give Waterford a well thought out positive review. :confused:

Eh no I didn't, same user name, I have always had. Anyhow, why are you so suspicious of those who say positive things about Waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I come from a big city and I love it here , sure the shopping is not great, but it is safe and there are very few hassles.

My bike is safe with minimal locks ( I cringe at work when I see high end cycles locked by the quick release front wheel alone to the bike rack) I dont know how many bikes I lost living in Dublin and elsewhere.

Big city living is hassle, try getting a parking permit in Dublin, of have the hassle of getting up before 7 to move your car before it is towed, or have to get guards to tow a car that is blocking yours in. Or waking up to find your car has been broken into, or is not there because some lowlife has taken it for a joyride.

Or that you have to pay higher car insurance because you live in the city or higher household insurance or higher property tax, or higher mortgages or higher rent.

The grass looks greener but its not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Liam P Nolan

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but hopefully will still be useful as some good comments already.

I am from Dublin, MANY years ago and now deciding to move back home. Dublin is not the place I remember now and its way too expensive, have some family there and in Kildare. Selling up in beautiful Norwich UK for £300k, sadly just myself and the dog now. I have looked at a million homes for sale around Waterford City, mostly on estates. I want to be able to not use the car to get into town, will carry on my business remotely online, very interested in the history and cultural side of Waterford.

Now the sensitive bit - I grew up in Ballyfermot in Dublin which was rough then but much worse now. No disrespect to good families living in estates, home is where your heart is. But I assume Waterford City will have good and bad areas and so I need to have that information before I narrow down my search for a good place to retire to. I expect to move around July time, will make a few business trips over to Cobh and Dublin before then and check out some places, perhaps make some offers. But I need the wisdom of those who are already there and who know where to avoid etc.

Tons of other things to consider, but living in the right location is probably the most important for me.

Good luck to all, Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I wud say ask people who arent born and bred in Waterford as you will get defensive answers from locals who will say Waterford is the best place in the country Boi. youre not allowed subjective criticism.

As far as where to live i think your neighbours will determine whether or not youve moved into the right area, you cud move into a brand new estate but if your neighbours are dxcks it can ruin it, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Itsa decent place to live. Some very nice areas, some not so nice areas, as with every place.Its an easy small city to live in with good access to amenity .

No one ever stopped the previous poster from voicng his/her opinion and if people are reactive to silly posts it should be understandable as most locals are proud of where we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Best place to live in Ireland going by a recent award.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah tis all very subjective, but id say its definitely better than some places, its just impossible to live in bigger cities such as dublin now, but in saying that, house prices here are just off the walls, and theres no sign of them claiming either!

we re very lucky with our close proximity to the coast and the mountains though, its a much smaller city compared to places such as cork and dublin, so its relatively easy to get around, so we certainly have lots going for us here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Sweet **** all opportunities if you're a young person.

• Advertisement

Unemployment at almost all time low, if that's what you mean? I wonder what opportunities you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

thats national unemployment. I dont think Waterford has that many great career opps for someone starting their career?

How do you mean Dublin is impossible to live in? Just out of interest.

I assume you mean cost of housing etc, but not sure.

Waterford is a nice place though. Quiet and relaxed, if a little sterile.

Not sure about nightlife/entertainment options there now?

Recent jobs fair would suggest otherwise. Local unemployment is around national level I believe. I suppose it depends what you want?

Are any of the big companies there though? Finance, Pharma, Tech etc.

Fairly large Pharma presence here. Sanofi, Teva, Horizon, Repligen, Bausch and Lomb, West Pharma, Eirgen etc with a smattering of most other things. Waterford is not Dublin. As I said, it depends on what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Waterford is great in the Summer for free festivals, events and outdoor gigs pretty much every weekend, right up to the end of September in fact.

If you think Waterford is boring/sterile you're not doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Valhalla90

Waterford is what you make it! The city has good infrastructure with the City Bypass and the outer ring road which allows quick enough access to most areas. Local bus services while not perfect seem to be somewhat decent. Location close to the coastline and mountains gives you a lot of options for activities. Investment has finally started to come in especially with the North Quays now underway which will be a massive injection for the city. The city is underperforming in terms of retail offering but my feeling is this will be fixed sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea cost of living is just beyond now in dublin, but nearly everywhere else, including waterford, is quickly catching up, property markets are a mess, and wont be solved anytime soon either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement