Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants work reference query??

Options
  • 08-03-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there, just had 2 couples looking to rent my house. All working in normal jobs, 1 of them is under a fixed term contract which is due to end in April! Would this put you off??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What industry is the job in? If its IT, fixed term contracts are very common, and often command higher salaries than permanent contracts. There is high demand for people with IT skills at the moment, and I am sure the individual would get another contract pretty quickly.

If its an industry which is not in demand, then it might mildly bother me, but unless the place is a palace they should be able to afford it on one persons salary for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redcard

Its in catering

redcard wrote: »
    Its in catering

Can I suggest you edit your post so it doesn't contain the name of the company the person works for. There may be data protection implications. I would also look at how you are storing their work references.

Catering is a broad field but I never knew anyone who was skilled in the field who was out of work for long without other factors at play.

I know a few people who look down their nose on short term contracts, my current employers for one, but I also know people who earn in three months what i earn in a year on 3 month fixed term contracts. You will need to give us more context.

In short, you have 2 couples, all 4 are currently employed, which couple did you like more?

Thanks for that, sorry should have been more precise, the two couples are friends so all 4 of them will be taking the lease. 3 of them work in regular jobs like shops, the other one works where I said but on his reference is fixed contract ending in April. They are really nice and I'm on 2 minds between them and another couple who also both work. I can't ring the hr dept of his job till Monday, to find out if the contract is renewable!

Sorry forgot to add, I'm thinking 4 incomes is better than 2 when it comes to my rent being paid.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, sorry should have been more precise, the two couples are friends so all 4 of them will be taking the lease. 3 of them work in regular jobs like shops, the other one works where I said but on his reference is fixed contract ending in April. They are really nice and I'm on 2 minds between them and another couple who also both work. I can't ring the hr dept of his job till Monday, to find out if the contract is renewable!

I'm not sure if the HR department will give out that kind of information. In fact I'd be very surprised if they did.

I also find it interesting that you seem to think people with "regular jobs in shops", is more attractive to you then someone who possibly has a skilled job, in an industry where there is demand. Retail as an industry isn't out of the woods yet. Just an observation.
    Sorry forgot to add, I'm thinking 4 incomes is better than 2 when it comes to my rent being paid.

Well I'd agree with you there to a certain extent. Although having lived as part of a couple, with another couple, things get more complicated fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Did the person give you permission to ring their employer to enquire about the contract? Can you even do that? Personally, I wouldn't like that level of enquiry by a landlord on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP, a lot of companies are using contracts to massage the number of full time employees they have on the books. It makes no real difference these days considering that no job is secure regardless of the type of contract.

Syklops, I'm not saying that I'm just trying to give you the info, it doesn't make a difference to me where some one works as long as they do.

Sopretty, he gave me a written reference with this detail about contracts on it, I told all applicants I would be ringing there employers or he departments to cross check. I'm only looking for basic info and it hasn't been an issue b4.

Thanks the morrigan, your right sure we could all loose our jobs tomorrow! If I had 2 houses to rent I'd be sorted both applicants were lovely.

• Advertisement

Syklops, I'm not saying that I'm just trying to give you the info, it doesn't make a difference to me where some one works as long as they do.

Then you have your answer right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

syklops wrote: »
    Can I suggest you edit your post so it doesn't contain the name of the company the person works for. There may be data protection implications.

You might want to edit your own post also! (look at the spoiler)

djimi wrote: »
    You might want to edit your own post also! (look at the spoiler)

I spoilered it for a reason.

Thanks for the reminder. I was watching the match.

Advertisement