Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second ahnd furniture/salvage yard

Options
  • 08-03-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone tell me of a good second hand furniture shop or salvage yard in SCD or north Wicklow. I am looking for some period pieces of furniture to kit out an older house?.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Glenalla wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone tell me of a good second hand furniture shop or salvage yard in SCD or north Wicklow. I am looking for some period pieces of furniture to kit out an older house?.
    Thanks

You could try Buckley galleries in Sandycove, it's an auctioneers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Disposalking

My Husband and I had a considerable amount of money to spend and we visited this Buckley guy to see what period items we could find for new barn converted guest house.(30 rooms).
    We were immediately ordered off floor as he claimed there was no viewings!!
    " We are only accepting items today"
    There was a woman leaving mirrors in.
    Another guy arrived with goods and was told " I have enough items"
    The guy responded that he had driven from Malahide after phoning in advance.
    This MR Buckley responded " I dont care where you came from" " I have enough stuff"
    I walked out door and commented to five people at door " This is the most ignorent person I have ever met"
    This MR Buckley then ran through the people at door berating me.
    Shouting after me that " I was the ignorent one".
    I had budget of € 8000 and was treated so badly by this guy.
    Avoid at all costs this guy is totally irrational and should not be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

First time and newly registered poster railing about a named business in response to an old post. Hmmmmmmmm

A lot of wheeler-dealer types are complete ignoramuses but they survive in business precisely because they know how to do deals. I realise that that doesn't fit with your experience but you have to recognise that his salesroom was full so someone thinks he can shift old furniture. Someone rang and was told to bring the goods over - how long before did they ring? How many people enquire about putting stuff in for an auction and then don't show up?

There was a guy in my home town who you would cross the street to avoid cause he had the social graces of an alley cat but when it came to selling commercial businesses like pubs and shops, he was the man everyone went to because he could squeeze the last penny out of prospective buyers and get you the best possible price. Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

in fairness, the senior Buckley brother does have a very difficult personal manner. They've been there for years, close to retirement too. Wonder what's to become of the premises...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

You could try Furniture Barn, it's on the main street in Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

in fairness, the senior Buckley brother does have a very difficult personal manner. They've been there for years, close to retirement too. Wonder what's to become of the premises...

Yep the account above doesn't seem that unlikely. Didn't they put in planning during the boom.

Advertisement