Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »
    The councillors have very little power, most of it has been transferred to the unaccountable executive. It's mainly a stepping stone to national politics/get a job with expenses imo.

Councillors have the power to legislate, ie make by-laws.

Are they using that power?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I agree, if you know what their actual powers are they can be useful. Many don't know what they can actually do and not do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Councillors have the power to legislate, ie make by-laws. Are they using that power?
    Well yes. I'm sure the executive have a power of veto or the Council can only vote on a bylaw approved by the executive.
    They’re responsible for policy-making on a narrow range of issues and individually they have no power at all. The most important power they have (besides rezoning) is in relation to approving the local authority budget - which in GCC is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Well yes. I'm sure the executive have a power of veto or the Council can only vote on a bylaw approved by the executive.
    They’re responsible for policy-making on a narrow range of issues and individually they have no power at all. The most important power they have (besides rezoning) is in relation to approving the local authority budget - which in GCC is a shambles.

I know they can fire the executive if the get 9 out of 13 votes... (over 2/3s) and appoint there own executive rather than get the one from Dublin.

I agree the budget is a shambles and is the biggest issue in my view going forward. This is why I put Burke as No.1(and Flannery No.2) because they should have the business experience as well as they are the only two with any detailed policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is the polling station for the Central ward still in Pats Band Hall, the map on the council website makes little sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Pottymouth

The rather unhealthy well documented competition between Burke and Keane seems to be spilling over to the Blueshirts also.

Peter Keane attacked David Burke in the Sentinel last week and will no doubt pay a heavy price for attacking his running mate at the polls. This is not very clever of Keane.

Now Ralph Lawless the husband of FG candidate Michelle Murphy has attacked her running mate on Facebook because he has actually got plans for Salthill that were documented in the advertiser. This seems not to have gone down well in the Murphy camp.

To me this would be very stupid of Murphy. She appears to be well behind Pearse Flannery in this race and now tries to get dirty in a rather silly way. Not very clever.

See the sentinel website for details of the Keane V Burke spat and pearse Flannery Vote Number 1 facebook page for the Ralph Lawless attack. I cannot support post with images, URLs or attachments because I am still a new user.

If Murphy has any sense she will remove this as soon as possible. As I feel it reflects very badly on her.

Just in case she does here is a transcript of her husbands attack and Flannerys reply.

Transcript

Ralph Lawless: "We may as well get disneyland and an underground rail network too. This has to be one of the craziest ideas yet. An Olympic size pool and a building like the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. How long so before leisurland would be open and where is the funding going to come from. What we need is investment and jobs for our children so they dont have to immigrate, not pie in the sky election promises."

Pearce Flannery - Vote Number 1 replied "Hi Ralph. Given that you are married to my running mate perhaps you could come up with some ideas instead of criticisms. If you want to find out when Leisureland will be open why not go home and find out. Your wife is on the board after all. Finally I would appreciate it if you could point out to me where an election promise was made. I am simply articulating my vision for my village. Given that you are from Corofin I understand that you have no great ties or interest for the area but criticism for the sake of criticism displays an abject lack of initiative and interest. It is a pity you could not open your mind to the possibilities. This type of negative thinking is partly the cause of our problems. I am looking for solutions and will continue to do so. Enjoy the rest of the campaign."

Like · 9 · May 15 at 1:55pm

I have a screenshot image of the article where Keane attackd Burke in the Sentinel and Flannerys facebook page where Mr Michelle Murphy (Ralph Lawless) has a go at Pearse Flannery but do not seem to be able to post them as yet. I will do it as soon as my daughter returns and will get her to do it!

Next round of silly attacks from losing candidates please!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmapell

I know Peter Keane acted on the power to make by-laws during the term just passed. Being a solicitor I suppose the power to legislate is something close to his heart and something he understands well.

They also have the power to agree and sign off on the budget as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Cllr. McNellis shot himself in the foot with the double decker bus driving around the city yesterday. 10kph with a huge line of traffic behind at all times. Only that it was a pleasant Sunday afternoon my blood would have been boiling.

At least he was using a form of public transport. :)

His party colleague Lorraine Higgins (who shares billboards with Cllr McNelis under the slogan "working together") wants a public subsidy for users of private transport so that they can park for free in Galway City, and at the same time she's demanding action to tackle the city's allegedly intolerable traffic congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The councillors have very little power, most of it has been transferred to the unaccountable executive. It's mainly a stepping stone to national politics/get a job with expenses imo.

I've heard Anderson, Flannery and Roddy all say numerous times that they are only going in for one term. And that it is not a career, it's a term of service and the like.

I think everyone and their aunt knows Michelle Murphy is being groomed for party politics. Fine Gael will look mighty foolish if their throw-a-bone problem child Flannery gets in ahead of their new poster child Murphy (Hildegarde V2.0), and so they should. Flannery seems to have a much stronger manifesto without any real party backing.

Similarly, it's clear that this is viewed as a stepping stone for Burke, Keane and Holohan. And I've nothing against them, if they truly feel they can make a difference. Burke and Keane do actually seem to know what they are on about too, which helps.

And as we all know, Lyons and Connolly are Councillors for life yo! Something I would be against personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Anyone listening to the debate on GalwayBayFM for Galway East?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I think everyone and their aunt knows Michelle Murphy is being groomed for party politics. Fine Gael will look mighty foolish if their throw-a-bone problem child Flannery gets in ahead of their new poster child Murphy (Hildegarde V2.0), and so they should. Flannery seems to have a much stronger manifesto without any real party backing.

You'd really have to question the FG powers that be for parachuting Michelle Murphy into that area. Such a questionable decision that has really seemed to have backfired. First of all, nobody knows her. Secondly, the fact that she has no ties to the area whatsoever must surely be such a turn-off to vote for her.

I'm not in that area but if I were, I don't think I could vote for somebody who should be running in the Tuam area. I must admit I really like Pearce Flannery, on the other hand. Seems to be running a good campaign.

So Biko, any other candidates gonna answer our queries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

No one else has contacted us in an official capacity, so it's hard to say.

No one else has contacted us in an official capacity, so it's hard to say.

Only a few days left before the election. I'd say it's pretty easy to predict how many (more) candidates will visit this forum in the interim.

My guess: not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Has anyone actually engaged with the candidates? The few that have had the misfortune to call to my door all seemed well informed are surprisingly articulate. I'm disappointed to say I can't come on here giving out about any of them that I met.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only a few days left before the election. I'd say it's pretty easy to predict how many (more) candidates will visit this forum in the interim.

My guess: not a lot.
    That would be my guess too, they are probably too busy campaigning and canvassing.
    Not everyone might think that boards/de inturnets is the right platform either.

biko wrote: »
    That would be my guess too, they are probably too busy campaigning and canvassing.
    Not everyone might think that boards/de inturnets is the right platform either.

I had a candidate last night during the absolute wettest rainshower imagineable. Full marks to him for staying power and being so pleasent and well read on both local and national issues. He stood in my porch for about 10 mins and went off again in the rain. Very impressed with his resolve and knowledge.

In the interests of keeping transparency and fair play to the fore I should let all know that Mark Anderson has sent me a PM with his tax clearance details also. He is precluded from doing this onsite for some reason.

Dunno if you heard the Central debate but one of the Labour candidates got a dig-in at some current city councillors who have 4/5/6 RAS properties..
    43:30 http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-central-constituency-debate-monday-12th-may-2014/

• Advertisement

What are RAS properties, pray tell?

Pottymouth wrote: »
    What are RAS properties, pray tell?
    RAS
    You should read the whole thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67876568&postcount=80

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

from connacht tribune

A "highly excited" Deputy Derek Nolan, Labour's Director of Elections for Galway City has reacted angrily to our Sentinel story today which predicts a "wipeout" for the party on Friday.

This is the clip from this morning's 'Galway Talks' on our sister station, Galway Bay fm:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBkvpShStnw

Here's the link to the original story: http://connachttribune.ie/labour-faces-election-wipeout-galway/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

2 questions

Where can I find live updates of the Galway election counts?

Also, where are the counts being held and can anyone just drop in to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

No, passes to get in are scarce and in hot demand. I've been following on twitter. Galway Bay FM, Connacht Tribune, Advertiser and G Independent are all covering it on their twitter and probably facebook feeds (which will show on their main websites too). Also Galway Bay FM are reporting on it at the top of every hour.

I remember being able to get into Leisureland handy enough at the last GE.

I looked at a few Galway sites but I cant find the 1st count for Connemara, have you seen it?

Actually this page on RTE website shows no results yet in Connemara. Handy map there.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2014/#/local/A11

Very interesting contest in City Central. Sixth count results below.

Electorate: 12,488
    Total poll: 6,446 (52%)
    Spoiled: 83
    Total valid poll: 6,363
    Quota: 910

Cubbard, Mike (Ind) 911 ELECTED [on 3rd count]

Distribution of [Colette] Connolly’s votes [eliminated on 3rd count]

Crowe, Ollie (FF) (+17) 862
    Cameron, Billy (Lab) (+100) 819
    Fahy, Frank (FG) (+28) 702
    Marley, Anna (SF) (+25) 656
    Conneely, Padraig (FG) (+32) 626
    Sheridan, Seamus (Grn) (+53) 618
    Deacy, Nicola (FF) (+33) 596
    O Corcorain, Cormac (Ind) (+13) 440 ELIMINATED

Source: http://connachttribune.ie/city-central-labour-wipeout-continues/

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

After the most recent count it looks like Conneely will get back in. In the words of Kent Brockman
    "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

sonandheir wrote: »
    After the most recent count it looks like Conneely will get back in. In the words of Kent Brockman
    "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."
    What difference does it make? Have any of our councillors ever done anything worthwhile?

Advertisement