Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Ficheall wrote: »
    What difference does it make? Have any of our councillors ever done anything worthwhile?

Yeah this is the 1st local elections I have really had any interest in and I have asked myself that question.
    One thing is for certain, there must be easy money in it because they elected councillors are over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I believe Cllr Donal Lyons (the "King of Knocknacarra") got one of the highest votes in the city.

Does anyone here know what his policies and values are? Did he have a manifesto? Did anyone receive a leaflet through their door?

I'm aware he was a PD in former times, but that's as much as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I believe Cllr Donal Lyons (the "King of Knocknacarra") got one of the highest votes in the city.

Does anyone here know what his policies and values are? Did he have a manifesto? Did anyone receive a leaflet through their door?

I'm aware he was a PD in former times, but that's as much as I know.

His leaflet was fairly impressive.

4 sheets. First saying hi, second listed in bullet what he has done, the third with what he intends to do in the next 5 years and the last one had contact details.

Arguably the best I had seen of the lot save maybe Cubbard, Flannery and (maybe) Sheridan.I'm sure if you email or text him he'll send you one.

Really surprised Keane didn't poll better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Really surprised Keane didn't poll better.

He was badly hit by Head Office Martin and head office turning against him and supporting David Burke. I think his track record of having put in solid work over the years won it for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

?Cee?view wrote: »
    He was badly hit by Head Office Martin and head office turning against him and supporting David Burke. I think his track record of having put in solid work over the years won it for him though.

Sorry I meant to say I can't understand why BURKE didn't poll better because of the above factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sorry I meant to say I can't understand why BURKE didn't poll better because of the above factors.

Fair enough. I think people saw through the Head Office foisting someone on the locals way of doing things. If Burke had been a bit more forthright he might have got away with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

David Burke, his team members or someone in FF HQ needs to do a better job on removing his posters.

I passed through a section of the City West election area today and the only posters remaining were David Burke's and those of a certain Triple A rated clown.

Deadline is Friday, before the City Council starts talking about considering possible enforcement of the Litter Act or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    David Burke, his team members or someone in FF HQ needs to do a better job on removing his posters.

I passed through a section of the City West election area today and the only posters remaining were David Burke's and those of a certain Triple A rated clown.

Deadline is Friday, before the City Council starts talking about considering possible enforcement of the Litter Act or some such.

He's not the only one, though I saw somebody taking down the AAA guy's posters (looked like it could have been the man himself). There were more than a few of McNeilis's around last night.

There's a reason there's a seven day deadline though, it does take a lot of time to take them down, they didn't all just go up at once (though a lot did insta appear).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Fair enough. I think people saw through the Head Office foisting someone on the locals way of doing things. If Burke had been a bit more forthright he might have got away with it though.

It's not the first time the locals have rejected the choice of FF HQ in Galway. Bertie never forgave a certain TD for not getting Margaret Cox - who was a HQ favourite - elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pottymouth

It appears that the infighting between Peter Keane and David Burke has not in any way abated over time. I hear that both are actively seeking a general election nomination and are determined to see that they get it. Could make for very interesting duels over the coming months although it is hard to see how Burke can redeem himself.
    That said the shameless undignified goings on from Keane and the two Crowes over the so called pact and their subsequent self serving behaviour does nothing to cement Keanes case for his suitability as a parliamentarian.

This could be an interesting row. David Burke is not the type to lie down and give up. Thats for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement