Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Presentation, Advice Needed

Options
  • 08-03-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I'm about to start my own business in the area of B2B sales. My issue is that when I'm cold calling clients, I may not come off as presentable and this, as I'm sure we all know is vitally important.

A bit of qualification of that statement. I'm 5'8" and have crested 24 stone. I don't look good in suits as I can never find one that fits right, shirts in my size aren't readily available and a good deal of searching online is required. Even at that I need a 20-21 inch collar for it to fit correctly around the chest and for it to be long enough that it doesn't get disturbed too much by normal movement. i find myself uncomfortable in them to be quite honest.

Would there be any merit in establishing a uniform which consists of crested polo shirt and chino's with crested jacket (these items are more readily available to me)? Personally, I would have no issue with dealing with somebody who is wearing a uniform from a sales perspective but maybe my view is a little skewed given my scenario. Is it absolutely essential that a person who attempts to sell to you in a business environment is wearing a suit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I think it depends on the product. We get a lot of people in selling us various things. If its a professional service you are selling then I would try make the suit work it just comes over as more professional and if you want them using your product then they want to know you are going to be taking their business seriously. Polo shirts are next best if that doesn't work but to me when I think of that type of uniform I think of floor sales staff in a electronics shop! Throw a good sweater over the polo and it will tidy it up a good bit maybe try that out see what you think. We recently had someone in trying to sell us security and they were wearing a t-shirt and leather jacket and had the details photocopied on an unevenly cut piece of paper no matter how good the service that initially impression put us right off so its important to get the look right for what you are selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You have only one opportunity to make a first impression. When you are in front of somebody, and selling something, the potential buyer has several key questions.
    These are –
    What are you selling?
    What does it do for me?
    How much does it cost?
    When can I have it?
    If it sells when can I have more?
    A negative interest on any one of these puts you out the door. A positive leads to the next question and an order. If you are a new or a one-person operation most buyers will ask themselves ‘How long will this guy be around? as they will want continuity of supply. You do not procect that image.

At your height carrying 24 stone you do not have the type of image that most salespeople would foster – it is difficult to climb a few flights of stairs in the summer and start off your presentation without being sweaty, smelly and out of breath. Not a good image. Currently, your weight is having a serious impact on your health - go to a supermarket, pick up a sack of potatoes and feel the weight. That is less than what you are needlessly carrying around, so it is affecting your energy levels for running your business now and that will get worse. You need to take control of your health first. Rightly or wrongly some people will think ‘If he cares that little about himself, what would he care about my custom?’ or ‘’If you want something done quickly, never give it to a fat person.’ People can make all sorts of politically correct comments about equality, etc, but that is just BS. Unless you are selling supersize clothing you need to lose weight. Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you do not accept it ask yourself 'Would I hire a person of my size/weight?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

You have only one opportunity to make a first impression. When you are in front of somebody, and selling something, the potential buyer has several key questions.
    These are –
    What are you selling?
    What does it do for me?
    How much does it cost?
    When can I have it?
    If it sells when can I have more?
    A negative interest on any one of these puts you out the door. A positive leads to the next question and an order. If you are a new or a one-person operation most buyers will ask themselves ‘How long will this guy be around? as they will want continuity of supply. You do not procect that image.

At your height carrying 24 stone you do not have the type of image that most salespeople would foster – it is difficult to climb a few flights of stairs in the summer and start off your presentation without being sweaty, smelly and out of breath. Not a good image. Currently, your weight is having a serious impact on your health - go to a supermarket, pick up a sack of potatoes and feel the weight. That is less than what you are needlessly carrying around, so it is affecting your energy levels for running your business now and that will get worse. You need to take control of your health first. Rightly or wrongly some people will think ‘If he cares that little about himself, what would he care about my custom?’ or ‘’If you want something done quickly, never give it to a fat person.’ People can make all sorts of politically correct comments about equality, etc, but that is just BS. Unless you are selling supersize clothing you need to lose weight. Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you do not accept it ask yourself 'Would I hire a person of my size/weight?'

You know me so well :rolleyes:

My enquiry was about whether or not a suit is essential to conducive business not what are people gonna think of me when I walk in the door because I'm fat. Gimme a break. I

know only too well what peoples prejudices are to fat people and can safely say that 2 seconds in my company has that thrown firmly out the window.

My work ethic is extremely high and I have had a great deal of success in residential cold calling. All while being fat.

In response to your hypothetical... The answer is yes. I don't judge people on their appearance and if a fat person is just as capable and even more capable than a person of average weight, why should they not get the job!!!!!!!!???

If a fat person, such as myself has the drive, energy and ambition to go out into a very tough field and has the passion to make his/her business work then I would be of quite the opposite opinion of you and say "you know what, this person faces prejudices every day of their life and they're out here trying to make something of their lives, they at least deserve to be listened to".

I would like to thank the other poster for actually reading my post and giving me some constructive advice about the actual question I asked. It has given me something to think about. And I appreciate the time you took in forming your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I know big guys struggle with clothes. My advice is a blazer/navy jacket that fits you, a 100% vertical navy white striped shirt by Tommy/Polo and dark grey fitted dress trousers/slacks and very good quality black brogue or half brogue lace up shoes by Church or Barker, perfectly polished. You do not need a ties as it will probably not be long enough and detract from the smart casual look. Ties can be uncomfortable which is a negative. Button down shirt collars don't "fly away" and look modern and tidy.

you can get bespoke shirts made online too!! sites like this http://www.itailor.com/?gclid=CKW90bXdg70CFeF02wodny4AIg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

you can get bespoke shirts made online too!! sites like this http://www.itailor.com/?gclid=CKW90bXdg70CFeF02wodny4AIg

Deadly site. Will use that for sure. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

While I am good few inches taller than you and weigh a few stone less, I'm still overweight enough to wonder if my appearance ever stops me from closing a sale.To answer your question, I don't think a suit is necessary in business but as Peter has said you do need to look smart and most importantly you need to feel comfortable and confident in your appearance.If you feel comfortable and confident in chinos and polo shirts , get a few polo shirts with the company logo on and go with that.

I have no agenda, nor did I wish to be unkind, or to offend so no need for the sarcasm. You came here looking for advice on looking presentable when starting your own business. Your opening sentences were
    pajopearl wrote: »
    I'm about to start my own business in the area of B2B sales. My issue is that when I'm cold calling clients, I may not come off as presentable and this, as I'm sure we all know is vitally important.
    A bit of qualification of that statement. I'm 5'8" and have crested 24 stone.
    Selling is all about closing the sale, but before you get to that stage it involves major aspects of image, about reading body language, getting close to the customer and developing a relationship. Most of those messages are developed in presentations/interactions and often are subliminal; these perceptions by the customer (and you) are critically important. Working in a role that involved financial sales during DotCom I used to keep jeans in my office so that I could change into them on a call to a start-up and not arrive as a ‘suit’, so that I could avoid/minimize giving a negative perception.

Selling requires large amounts of self confidence and self image (everybody knows about the flash salesman, flash suit, flash car, etc) and energy, so health and fitness are an important part of that. Being rejected time after time, but having the self-confidence to get back up and out to try again is not always easy, particularly when the odds are stacked against you.

Clearly you did not like my honest advice on what was best, possibly because it hit a nerve. When starting a business and getting it off the ground, your health and thus energy levels are critical. What to wear is the least of your worries; anybody your size looks the same in a suit, jacket or whatever. Perhaps they might look less bad in one than another. The key issue is that you cannot run a business in poor health. That is what needs to be addressed, not dressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I have no agenda, nor did I wish to be unkind, or to offend so no need for the sarcasm. You came here looking for advice on looking presentable when starting your own business. Your opening sentences were

Selling is all about closing the sale, but before you get to that stage it involves major aspects of image, about reading body language, getting close to the customer and developing a relationship. Most of those messages are developed in presentations/interactions and often are subliminal; these perceptions by the customer (and you) are critically important. Working in a role that involved financial sales during DotCom I used to keep jeans in my office so that I could change into them on a call to a start-up and not arrive as a ‘suit’, so that I could avoid/minimize giving a negative perception.

Selling requires large amounts of self confidence and self image (everybody knows about the flash salesman, flash suit, flash car, etc) and energy, so health and fitness are an important part of that. Being rejected time after time, but having the self-confidence to get back up and out to try again is not always easy, particularly when the odds are stacked against you.

Clearly you did not like my honest advice on what was best, possibly because it hit a nerve. When starting a business and getting it off the ground, your health and thus energy levels are critical. What to wear is the least of your worries; anybody your size looks the same in a suit, jacket or whatever. Perhaps they might look less bad in one than another. The key issue is that you cannot run a business in poor health. That is what needs to be addressed, not dressed.

While I completely agree that fitness has a large impact on business first impressions and success, what do you suggest overweight people should do ?should we go on the dole until we have lost weight?
    The op asked for advice based on his current circumstances , some posters have answered the question, you have simply taken the opportunity to tell him to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Look clean and smart in whatever suits you best some people may find an issue with your appearance others have problems with people's accents skin colour red hair etc there isn't much you can do about any of those so let your enthusiasm and skill work on those who are interested in what you are selling. Selling is tough anyway just think how tough life would be if you were the perfect weight with a crap product.

• Advertisement

You should evaluate the smart casual look versus the chinos/polo shirt look based on who you are selling to! if they are executive types in suits or smart casual the you need to reflect that, if the are jeans and jumpers or regular casual wear to work, the chinos/polo are fine. Smart casual of course will cover both bases. This is about respecting your prospect too, by dressing inappropriately you are giving off a negative image, unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

At your height carrying 24 stone you do not have the type of image that most salespeople would foster – it is difficult to climb a few flights of stairs in the summer and start off your presentation without being sweaty, smelly and out of breath.
    some people will think ‘If he cares that little about himself, what would he care about my custom?’ or ‘’If you want something done quickly, never give it to a fat person.’
    What to wear is the least of your worries; anybody your size looks the same in a suit, jacket or whatever.
    A strange insight into your mind pedroeibar1.

That looks a great site. I'd definitely give that a go OP.
    Many people are uncomfortable with shirts if they are not used to them, which could be solved by wearing one around the house for a few days.

Dress as well as you can and be as confident as you can.

You'll always get a few pedroeibar1's but most people will look past whatever weight you may be.

Paddy_R wrote: »
    A strange insight into your mind pedroeibar1.

I’m not billing for my responses, so I speak my mind and see no need to dress up the truth in waffle.
    When I studied marketing psychology I came across Ernest Dichter and was fascinated by his work. Some of his methods would perhaps today be seen as a bit creepy, but he was generally correct when he spoke about the importance of image and on motivational research. In business I still notice things that he was pointing out 30+ years ago. Among many successes he was the person who created the ‘focus group’ (ever-present today) and his studies directly led to the design and launch of the Barbie doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

When I studied marketing psychology I came across Ernest Dichter and was fascinated by his work. Some of his methods would perhaps today be seen as a bit creepy, but he was generally correct when he spoke about the importance of image and on motivational research. In business I still notice things that he was pointing out 30+ years ago. Among many successes he was the person who created the ‘focus group’ (ever-present today) and his studies directly led to the design and launch of the Barbie doll.
    Many of us will have studied the work of Ernest Dichter at some point.
    I’m not billing for my responses, so I speak my mind and see no need to dress up the truth in waffle.
    As I said, a strange insight. But I'm sure you're trying to be as helpful as possible.

Perhaps the OP should consider adopting a healthier lifestyle alongside the startup of the new business, a full turn of the page if you like. Such a change can only impact positively on your business as a whole considering your at the helm.

In terms of being presentable, a good pair of shoes is the place to start. A successful salesman rarely has a bad pair of shoes!
    After that a pair of slacks and a shirt should be enough to smarten you up. Jeans are a no no unless your an artist of some sort.

For my first proper business, out of college I had about 1000 euro in the bank and spent 800 of it on a really nice suit. I went the next day to score a major contract with a big multinational, and felt at the time they would take me more seriously if I looked like a sharp businessman despite my youthful face. Have to say that suit was something else and gave me more confidence at the time. Look good feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

'Look good, feel good' sums it up. It's not so much about wearing a suit as wearing whatever makes you look professional and feel confident - everything stems from that.

I know a business development / sales guy with lots of experience. He doesn't go around in a suit at all, but is always wearing smart trousers and a shirt with jacket, etc.

If you are 24 stone you should just try to lose a few stone. Starting a new business is going to require a lot of work and what happens if you fall ill at that weight? No sick pay, no benefits, no dole - nothing. Think of how insignificant what clothes you are deliberating on wearing is when compared to your own health.

Not having any junk food in your house and going for a walk every day would allow you to drop a few stone in several weeks most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andre.cork

I Think that once you feel comfortable that is the main thing, if you don't express confidence then your customer wont have any confidence in you. Also being clean and tidy is an absolute must but I am very surprised at some of the comments on here suggesting he might not succeed because he is overweight, I think that is extremely unfair!

However, I think that feeling confident has nothing to do with the type of clothes you are wearing.... yes OK a suit looks best.... but to be honest I think it would be pretty small minded to not purchase something because the guy was wearing trousers and a polo shirt/jumper and not a shirt and tie!!!!!

Also - The advice given that he needs to lose weight to run a business I disagree with this whole heartedly! You cant say being overweight is a risk for your business because you might get ill.... might as well say old people cant run businesses in case they die of old age!

Hope the OP benefits from some of the good advice given on some of the comments and gets to feel comfortable and confident on whatever it is he decides to wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

andre.cork wrote: »
    I Think that once you feel comfortable that is the main thing, if you don't express confidence then your customer wont have any confidence in you. Also being clean and tidy is an absolute must but I am very surprised at some of the comments on here suggesting he might not succeed because he is overweight, I think that is extremely unfair!

However, I think that feeling confident has nothing to do with the type of clothes you are wearing.... yes OK a suit looks best.... but to be honest I think it would be pretty small minded to not purchase something because the guy was wearing trousers and a polo shirt/jumper and not a shirt and tie!!!!!

I agree, his clients aren't going to give a fiddlers what weight he is, they just want to feel comfortable with him and what he is selling!
    andre.cork wrote: »
    Also - The advice given that he needs to lose weight to run a business I disagree with this whole heartedly! You cant say being overweight is a risk for your business because you might get ill.... might as well say old people cant run businesses in case they die of old age

If being overweight is a risk to your health, then how on earth is it not a risk to your business as well?!!

I think we both know the comparison with old people doesn't work... there is a clear difference.

The OP is a staggering 12+ stone overweight and is at crisis point. What suit to wear should be the last of his worries and as I said, it would be extremely easy to drop several stone (and fit into a huge range of new clothes) just by doing really simple things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

scwazrh wrote: »
    While I completely agree that fitness has a large impact on business first impressions and success, what do you suggest overweight people should do ?should we go on the dole until we have lost weight?
    The op asked for advice based on his current circumstances , some posters have answered the question, you have simply taken the opportunity to tell him to lose weight.

In defense of pedroeibar1, 2 things...

1) When I read the OPs first post, I also did not think he was just asking Suit Vs Slacks or causal. Maybe that was what he meant, but I (like pedroeibar) did think that he was also asking how people would react to his weight.

2) I would agree with everything pedro has said. No-ones trying to be harsh or mean - But it is just a fact. I am 6 foot and 16 stone. I would say I am about 2 stone overweight and I would often be concerned how I come across to customers.

Anyway, to answer what the OP actually asked, I don't think the full suit is required (particularly the tie) but I do think you should be very smart casual. I don't really like the idea of the uniform. Perfect if you are going on site to actually do some work, but to do a sales pitch, I think you need to bring it up a level.

Thanks BnB, kind of you to comment in my defense, but I'm very thick-skinned, as all salespeople have to be! I worked in sales for years, lived overseas, built up salesforces in several countries, so I know rejection in quite a few languages and didn't give a flying f about the silly comments. FWIW I'd maintain that 10% over an ideal weight is not a big issue, we were, as you said, talking earlier about 100%+ so serious health issues impinged.

Appearance counts, both product and salesperson. Mis-handle your product, its image, treat it shabbily and you demean it.* Not dressing appropriately and not taking care of your personal image and you demean yourself.

Running a business or selling requires huge amounts of energy as anyone knows. Somebody who is more than double (like the OP) their appropriate weight cannot be energetic, as so much energy is used just to stand upright - and that is before moving around. Think of what could be achieved if that energy could instead be channelled into running around to new prospects, looking at competitor products, doing 20 cold calls in a day instead of just managing 5, etc, etc. And that excludes 'down time' due to health issues.

I'm not exactly trim myself, but something I do periodically (as a motivator) to get back in shape is to put a 5 kilo bag (+/- 1 stone) of potatoes in a rucksack and walk a half mile from my house; I then walk back, drop off the bag and walk another mile. The difference is huge, helps to focus the mind.

Fitness is critical, particularly when one is self-employed, it can never be stressed too much. And good luck to the OP, he really needs it.

*A well-known Irish chain of electrical goods retailers started from just one shop, its owner had one single washing machine of a very expensive brand in a corner of the salesfloor. He would never have been given an agency by that brand. That machine was grubby, unkempt and when anyone asked if he had one of that make he's show it to them, give it a kick and say 'those yokes are useless, look at the cut of it, it's showing its wear just being on the floor!' and of course then moved on to and extolled the virtues of his most expensive model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement