Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment fire regulations for safety between dwellings

Options
  • 08-03-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Lets say we have a typical, modern block of apartments built around 2002. Lets say the entrance to 3 apartments share a common area covered by a carpet, and lets say the entrance doors to these 3 apartments are not fire doors, and have a small gap (around 1-2cm) at the bottom.

Does this scenario meet the fire regulations? Would there not be a major risk of fire spreading between dwellings via the common area, and thus not meeting the regulations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

when you say 1-2 cm gap at bottom do you mean you can see into the apartment if you lie down? Seems odd. The door would normally fit very snug even if its not an externally rated door.

Does the door have a black strip running around the middle if you open it?

Fire safety on these apartment assuming there are just 3 would be similar to a house. I would imagine that they should be 30minute rated as per table B1 of the fire regs as even if they are not a fire rated enclosure they do lead to an escape route.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

From the inside, if you get down low, you can see out to the common area. You can always see light coming under the door from the common area. There is no rubber strip; just the flat surface of the end of the door.

I got up this morning, and wondered why I could smell an unfamiliar deodorant in my corridor, and even into the living room. I stuck my head out to the common area, and sure enough, that's where the smell came from - under the door. I've noticed similar things with cooking smells. That's what got me thinking about fire safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the fire officer in the local fire brigade. Emailing photos of the inside of the door when closed and the edges of the doors would likely be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What type floor is at your side if the door? Is there underlay? Is a lack of underlay and a poor depth laminate/ carpet vreating this gap

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    What type floor is at your side if the door? Is there underlay? Is a lack of underlay and a poor depth laminate/ carpet vreating this gap

This shouldn't matter, the door threshold should be relatively snug with the bottom of the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

alang184 wrote: »
    From the inside, if you get down low, you can see out to the common area. You can always see light coming under the door from the common area. There is no rubber strip; just the flat surface of the end of the door.

I got up this morning, and wondered why I could smell an unfamiliar deodorant in my corridor, and even into the living room. I stuck my head out to the common area, and sure enough, that's where the smell came from - under the door. I've noticed similar things with cooking smells. That's what got me thinking about fire safety.

that's not right. Is every door like this? Fire officer at LCC 'may' help but after so long they have no powers to enforce the builder if they even exist anymore. The fire service can issue notification orders to your OMC to make all required changes but the front door is usually the property of the unit owner and not part of the common areas. In that case the unit owners will be served notice to make the changes at cost.

However, lack of fire separation is basically the same as priory hall but in your case hopefully easier to rectify.

(Another priory hall.....welcome to the club.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

In terms of the gap, if you can slide a pen under it the gap is too big. However, as mentioned email some photos to the fire officer and follow up with a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Victor wrote: »
    This shouldn't matter, the door threshold should be relatively snug with the bottom of the door.

Previous tenants may have had different flooring and planned the bottom off do the door closes. I've seem it happen. They if floor changed the gap is even bigger

Advertisement