Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting off a Clamp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Wilfork wrote: »
    What do you think?

i applaud them .

You are a bad person and I hope they find out it was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wilfork

BNMC wrote: »
    Mind your own business.

How is someone cutting off a clamp affecting your life? Speaking of which, get one.

Thanks for sacrificing part of your life to come onto boards to discuss this with me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Am I the only one who would love to be a clamper for a day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Parking regulations. Which I think we can all agree improve our quality of life
    :)

I'm asking for you to elaborate though?

Did they not feed a meter? Did they not feed the meter enough? Did they park in yellow lines? Etc etc?

Thanks for sacrificing part of your life to come onto boards to discuss this with me
    Quit while you're ahead, few* will ever support clampers!

* usually those who profit from their business!

• Advertisement

Heard this being discussed on (I think) Newstalk during the week.

Dublin city council actually need people to be clamped for a revenue stream. If everyone suddenly followed every little rule so as to not be clamped, they would simply shift the goalposts.

I bet the OP has never did a single thing wrong in their life though, so its ok.

I'm asking for you to elaborate though?

Did they not feed a meter? Did they not feed the meter enough? Did they park in yellow lines? Etc etc?

Yeah, there's a meter. Obviously they didn't buy a ticket or failed to return to their vehicle before the expiry of the ticket. It is the job of the clampers to determine whether there has been a violation. Which they were obviously satisfied had occurred, causing them to clamp the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

So, keep us up to date. Did they get the clamp off and drive off? Or did the clampers come back?

Heard this being discussed on (I think) Newstalk during the week.

Dublin city council actually need people to be clamped for a revenue stream. If everyone suddenly followed every little rule so as to not be clamped, they would simply shift the goalposts.

I bet the OP has never did a single thing wrong in their life though, so its ok.

I've been clamped. I wasn't happy about it but I paid the fee

sopretty wrote: »
    So, keep us up to date. Did they get the clamp off and drive off? Or did the clampers come back?

You'll be happy to know they got the clamp off before the clampers returned so it was all in vain!

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's a meter. Obviously they didn't buy a ticket or failed to return to their vehicle before the expiry of the ticket. It is the job of the clampers to determine whether there has been a violation. Which they were obviously satisfied had occurred, causing them to clamp the car.

Oh yeah, definitely report them to 'The Man' so. Feckin durty Eastern Europeans, coming over here and not getting back to their cars in time. :rolleyes:

I hope you didnt do a half arsed reporting job, and made sure to call Customs/Immigration/Social Welfare too. (just incase they were breaking any other laws/rules)

Jesus fcuking wept, some people have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

I'm torn here

On the one hand I think clamping companies tend to be money hungry parasites

On the other hand I've very little time for the ****wits who think its ok to , for example, park in a completly inconsiderate manner because they're life and whatever they want to do is soooo important that the rules shouldn't apply to them.

Fcuk it, put them all on an island and let them fight to the death. Leave the winner there to starve...

Oh yeah, definitely report them to 'The Man' so. Feckin durty Eastern Europeans, coming over here and not getting back to their cars in time. :rolleyes:

I hope you didnt do a half arsed reporting job, and made sure to call Customs/Immigration/Social Welfare too. (just incase they were breaking any other laws/rules)

Jesus fcuking wept, some people have too much time on their hands.

That's like the definition of a parking violation. What were you expecting? That they parked in someone's garden or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

You'll be happy to know they got the clamp off before the clampers returned so it was all in vain!

So did you learn any lesson?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Clamped once near hollace street when my son decided to come early a few years ago. My brother in law and some friends came up and cut it off. $ hit myself for a week waiting to hear from the guards but didnt hear anything back.

Clamped once near hollace street when my son decided to come early a few years ago. My brother in law and some friends came up and cut it off. $ hit myself for a week waiting to hear from the guards but didnt hear anything back.

With private clamping company's they NEVER pursue any one for money or even their own clamp. As they know themselves that what they are doing is illegal. :)

job seeker wrote: »
    With private clamping company's they NEVER pursue any one for money or even their own clamp. As they know themselves that what they are doing is illegal. :)

If it is illegal, then fair play to them I have no problem with that at all. But surely private clampers are licensed to interfere with people's property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

If you had not been previously clamped OP would you still have reported them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I bet it's not illegal - that's just the generic thing that always gets said. The OP said it was really noisy and distracting them, what's wrong with them getting annoyed by that? What's wrong with getting annoyed at people having an inflated sense of entitlement? Very disingenuous reactions.
    tritium wrote: »
    I'm torn here

On the one hand I think clamping companies tend to be money hungry parasites

On the other hand I've very little time for the ****wits who think its ok to , for example, park in a completly inconsiderate manner because they're life and whatever they want to do is soooo important that the rules shouldn't apply to them.
    This.

I bet it's not illegal - that's just the generic thing that always gets said. The OP said it was really noisy and distracting them, what's wrong with them getting annoyed by that? What's wrong with getting annoyed at people having an inflated sense of entitlement? Very disingenuous reactions.

This.

If I came to your car and clamped it, Ordered you to pay 150 for the "removal fee". would you pay it?

EDIT: Oh and, I get the irony of my user name with this post.. :D

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    If I came to your car and clamped it, Ordered you to pay 150 for the "removal fee". would you pay it?

Whether you would pay the fee or not has nothing to do with the legality of the act of clamping the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A con saw would have sorted that clamp out in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Private clamping is very much a grey area. The law only states that local authorities can clamp but nothing about private companies.

The law also says that you can't immobize a vehicle. But causing damage to the clamp is a crime.

Cut a private clamp off and nothing will happen.

Whether you would pay the fee or not has nothing to do with the legality of the act of clamping the car

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A lot of managed estates operate clamping for permit parking and the permit is only issued if you pay your service charges. So if somebody is clamped, they're usually sponging off everybody that pays their fees for public lighting, waste disposal, landscaping so in most cases, it's very much everybody's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Cutting off a clamp , that's for amateurs . Let the air out of the tyre . Lift the car with a jack put on the spare wheel and your all good .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Well first the NOISE was affecting my life.

More importantly, I have to pay €50 odd per year for the privilege of parking outside my house. So I think I feel justifiably aggrieved that other people with no respect for the rules think they are somehow more entitled than I am

The next time someone one parks in the space you have paid for slash their tyres. It's not illegal, just as it's not illegal for them to damage a clamp. I'm only an amateur lawyer and I won't need any payment for that advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Cutting off a clamp , that's for amateurs . Let the air out of the tyre . Lift the car with a jack put on the spare wheel and your all good .

How do you undo the wheel nuts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The clamping business model is essentially greedy c_nts being hired to inconvenience mostly ignorant c_nts.

Advertisement