Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting off a Clamp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wilfork

sopretty wrote: »
    What did the clampers do when they came to collect the clamp? Just shrug their heads and toddle off with the broken clamp?

They threw the clamp in the boot I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Wilfork wrote: »
    Parking regulations. Which I think we can all agree improve our quality of life
    :)

really? Because it seems you don't agree with your own point. :P

That 50 quid you resent spending to comply with parking regulations outside your house - improves your quality of life and makes you smile does it? :P

You pay €50 to park on the street. Street parking is not designated so he can park in front of your house if he likes.

I didn't say he can't park in front of my house. I said he can't park in front of my house without a ticket

That 50 quid you resent spending to comply with parking regulations outside your house - improves your quality of life and makes you smile does it? :P

I don't resent parking regulations. I resent that some people think they should get for free what I am required to pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Am I the only one here who isn't against the OP? I understand private car clampers in apartment complexes etc can be frustrating but parking rules on streets operated by council are fair game and if you don't pay your parking, then you get clamped. Surely its not right to be damaging property because you chose to chance your arm, park for free and get caught? Same way that none of us can complain when we get caught for speeding because as annoying as it is, the speed limit signs are obvious from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I don't resent parking regulations. I resent that some people think they should get for free what I am required to pay for

youre resentful just because he had the initiative to cut off a clamp when you didn't in the same past situations...

there's a choice - cut it off and maybe get away with it or pay up with a clear conscience

This guy risked it and succeeded, im sure it didn't take him too long to remove the clamp so it barely impacted on your day. You caused yourself more grief going to the trouble of calling and posting on here. Shouldn't you be getting back to your study minus interruptions? Or is there a bird tweeting outside your window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I just reported a car owner who was attempting to remove a clamp from his car by cutting and hammering it.

I'm not normally a busy body, but it just pissed me off for some reason. Partly because it was parked outside my house and the racket was disturbing my study. Partly because the distain and blatant 'fúck you' to law abiding citizens irritated me. Nobody likes being clamped. I've been clamped. But I took my medicine, paid the fee and moved on with my life.

What do you think?

Honest opinion? You're a prize prick. I got clamped once ever and I was seething. It took me an hour but I got it off with the help of a friend (long story). I threw the clamp in the boot, drove off and never heard a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If it is illegal, then fair play to them I have no problem with that at all. But surely private clampers are licensed to interfere with people's property?
    doesn't matter, if the council outsource a form of law enforcement to a private company then you have no duty of care to that private company as far as i'm concerned, council jobs and state jobs should be done by those employed by as such

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

TheDriver wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who isn't against the OP?
    No.

I don't agree with the practice of clamping or with the extortionate release fees, but when people are aware that it is enforced, they can avoid it. There's no point in them pretending they have been a victim of injustice. Or in pretending that they're not doing anything wrong when damaging a clamp. Why give the woefully greedy clamping companies the satisfaction of parking in a space where they can nab you?

And if a person is clamped because of not paying the management company fee then they are definitely not in a position to act the victim.

It's bizarre the way people think there's nothing wrong with people parking where they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

What I dont get is this

I got clamped but when it came to paying I had to pay by card because the clamper was not permitted to take cash..but yet when i pay by card i got charged an extra fiver

• Advertisement

You think I'm spoofing? You think I made up a story just for the craic do you? God, that is ridiculous. What exactly don't you believe?

Yeah Dublin Street Parking Services are the agent of Dublin City Council. Whats the problem with that?
    there a private company doing a job that council staff should be doing and taking a percentage of the revenue which all should be going to the council

there a private company doing a job that council staff should be doing and taking a percentage of the revenue which all should be going to the council

If the council are permitted in the relevant legislation or regulations to licence others to do the job then I don't understand what your problem with that might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

€50 more than this person was prepared to spend

He probably did spend that, on the removal tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

TheDriver wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who isn't against the OP?
    no...there must be about three or four of you now!!

No.

I don't agree with the practice of clamping or with the extortionate release fees, but when people are aware that it is enforced, they can avoid it. There's no point in them pretending they have been a victim of injustice. Or in pretending that they're not doing anything wrong when damaging a clamp. Why give the woefully greedy clamping companies the satisfaction of parking in a space where they can nab you?

And if a person is clamped because of not paying the management company fee then they are definitely not in a position to act the victim.

It's bizarre the way people think there's nothing wrong with people parking where they shouldn't.
    they can if the management company enters their property, management companies shouldn't be able to use clamping anyway to get the management fee, use the courts or one of the members of the company turn up at their door every day until they pay up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

and? so what? stinks of "i have to do this so nobody else can get around it even though really it doesn't effect me or its none of my business what they do"
    But I'm not so sure what's wrong with that. Some people feel they don't have to pay their bills; it's perfectly legit. to point out that most people pay their bills and don't have a sense of entitlement that they don't have to.

If the council are permitted in the relevant legislation or regulations to licence others to do the job then I don't understand what your problem with that might be
    because their taking a percentage of the revenue which all should be going to the council, and the job should be done by council staff, council services should only be able to be done by council staff by law unless their is a service which requires certain expertese not availible in the councils pool of staff, clamping is something that doesn't require such expertese.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

or cut off the clamp if its owned by a private company, frankly only the council and employed council staff should be able to clamp if its to happen, its a form of law enforcement after all so should be controled by the state

So the state should enforce the rules in private car parks? Or should people that own car parks be powerless if people using them just decide they don't want to bother paying?
    they can if the management company enters their property, management companies shouldn't be able to use clamping anyway to get the management fee, use the courts or one of the members of the company turn up at their door every day until they pay up

How much extra money should they spend chasing the people (and thus pushing fees up for everyone else)

Clamping is cheap and effective. The government should be regulate it like the security industry and licence private firms.

because their taking a percentage of the revenue which all should be going to the council, and the job should be done by council staff, council services should only be able to be done by council staff by law unless their is a service which requires certain expertese not availible in the councils pool of staff, clamping is something that doesn't require such expertese.

Lots of jobs are done by outsourcing in governments. Every department has contractors of some sort doing work.Your just using excuses to single out clamping.

Where is that stated? Is that just your opinion?

It probably means he is able to park on his own street rather than pushing his parking on to another street (which knocks on to the next and the next etc) because of hundreds of people ditching their cars and getting buses or walking to wok from his street.

• Advertisement

youre resentful just because he had the initiative to cut off a clamp when you didn't in the same past situations...

If I go to Tesco and steal my shopping is that using initiative too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

People should display warning signs in their car windows.

Something that states, this is a privately owned vehicle and any immobilisation device placed on it may be forcibly removed by the owner. Also stating that you will not take any responsibility for any damage caused to the immobilisation device.

Laws work both ways.

Alternatively, immobilise the clamper when he appears to release you. Demand a release fee equal to what you have been charged.

Just because they're in the 'clamping business' does not give them any more sway. If you can't call the guards when your clamped, why should they?

So the state should enforce the rules in private car parks? Or should people that own car parks be powerless if people using them just decide they don't want to bother paying?
    the state should do it, as its a form of law enforcement
    How much extra money should they spend chasing the people (and thus pushing fees up for everyone else)
    sending one of the members of the management company around every day until they pay up wouldn't cost anything
    Clamping is cheap and effective.
    obviously it isn't effective as people can just remove them, also clamping causes more disruption and has the vehicle in the place where it shouldn't be for longer, more traffic wardans and higher fines that would go fully to the council would be much better.
    The government should be regulate it like the security industry and licence private firms.
    no they shouldn't, private firms have no place in law enforcement, something which the security industry isn't, so such firms can be licenced for that industry
    Lots of jobs are done by outsourcing in governments. Every department has contractors of some sort doing work.
    work that requires certain expertese not had by those departments, as clamping doesn't require such expertese then the state can and should be doing it as they will get all the money.
    Your just using excuses to single out clamping.
    the discussion is about clamping in fairness, if you want to talk about other "services" like this you can start another thread and we'l discuss it

Something that states, this is a privately owned vehicle and any immobilisation device placed on it may be forcibly removed by the owner. Also stating that you will not take any responsibility for any damage caused to the immobilisation device.

So the owners of the car parks should heed those signs on the cars of people breaking the rules they set out?

Where is that stated? Is that just your opinion?
    all opinion, i do believe the clamping companies get a percentage of the revenue but maybe they get a flat fea instead? either way its money going to a private firm when it doesn't need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Some clamping vans have camera equipment installed now to catch people removing the clamp/trying to drive away al a Homer Simpson style.
    So be wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

I just reported a car owner who was attempting to remove a clamp from his car by cutting and hammering it.

I'm not normally a busy body, but it just pissed me off for some reason. Partly because it was parked outside my house and the racket was disturbing my study. Partly because the distain and blatant 'fúck you' to law abiding citizens irritated me. Nobody likes being clamped. I've been clamped. But I took my medicine, paid the fee and moved on with my life.

What do you think?

here is the issue I have with the clampers.

the state should do it, as its a form of law enforcement

Your making it prohibitively expensive meaning the owners will have effectively no power to stop people stealing his service he's providing if he has to chase 50 people a day through the courts for a tenner each.

How long do you reckon you'll be waiting if you rang the Gards to come while you've detain someone for not paying their parking ticket in your carpark?
    sending one of the members of the management company around every day until they pay up wouldn't cost anything

If it doesn't cost them extra it means they have staff sitting around doing nothing so can cut costs by getting rid so. Everything costs money.
    obviously it isn't effective as people can just remove them,

Which is why its should be regulated and fines issued for people that do it. A security gard in a shop is ineffective too if they are not allowed stop you stealing.

• Advertisement

all opinion, i do believe the clamping companies get a percentage of the revenue but maybe they get a flat fea instead? either way its money going to a private firm when it doesn't need to

Fair enough, you don't agree with private clamping. But disagreeing with the law doesn't mean you are free of your obligation to obey

Advertisement