Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting off a Clamp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You said people shouldn't be able to own land. How do you reconcile that?

Nobody made the land, they just took it by force. If I buy a car, for example, it was made and that cost money.

Because people take the piss and theres never parking for the people that the businesses need to survive. All the workers will take up the spaces during the trading hours. Parking near where you live is also helpful for people..

It would be helpful if you could post your address if you have a driveway btw. Seeing as its wrong to own land I'm sure there's a few commuters that might like to make use of that driveway while they bus or walk to work.

If your renting , why are you doing that? Why not just squat in it for free instead or build a shack in the corner of the garden?

If I could just build wherever I want, which I should be able to, I would. However it would be torn down. Im not interested in living in a shack, rather Id have stables, big house, luxury living. I can afford this because I dont spend 50% on income tax. Its actually quite amazing that to build a basic requirement to live, shelter, that we have to more or less get in debt and pay huge taxes. For all our supposed freedoms we have probably the least freedom of all creatures. Even a rat can just go and build a next in a field without paying. Many Eastern Europeans have been convicted of poaching etc, fishing in rivers that require a permit. Why should someone be able to own a river, and stop a person providing for himself and their family? These are the most basic of requirements we need to live, yet we have very limited sources available to us to sustain ourselves without paying somebody somewhere.

I rent and have a huge driveway and about 12 acres of fields, so I could park thousands of cars. However the gate is electric so there wouldnt be any way for people yo get in. Anyway I live in the countryside, so nobody is going to be short of space out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What? :confused:

Its not disgusting. It's sorting out arseholes that think laws dont apply to them.

I would say the arseholes are the people who pay for a service they do little else but complain about. If you accept paying for something that is garbage only for fear of being locked up, and then vote for the same criminals to "represent" you then you deserve all you get. Most people are actually pretty damn stupid, rarely an original thought passes through their mind. Bred to obey. Its that simple, and I literally laugh right in the faces of people defending these injustices against themselves by getting angry at anyone who decides not to pay.

The amount of ridiculous posts Ive read about people angry about others not contributing, purely because they themselves contribute. "If I have to pay for it, so should they!!!" they cry like inbred monkeys. Not for a second have they ever stopped to consider the fact that the only reason they are paying is because they are being forced to, not because they want to, or think the fee is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If I could just build wherever I want, which I should be able to, I would. However it would be torn down. Im not interested in living in a shack, rather Id have stables, big house, luxury living. I can afford this because I dont spend 50% on income tax. Its actually quite amazing that to build a basic requirement to live, shelter, that we have to more or less get in debt and pay huge taxes. For all our supposed freedoms we have probably the least freedom of all creatures. Even a rat can just go and build a next in a field without paying. Many Eastern Europeans have been convicted of poaching etc, fishing in rivers that require a permit. Why should someone be able to own a river, and stop a person providing for himself and their family? These are the most basic of requirements we need to live, yet we have very limited sources available to us to sustain ourselves without paying somebody somewhere.

I rent and have a huge driveway and about 12 acres of fields, so I could park thousands of cars. However the gate is electric so there wouldnt be any way for people yo get in. Anyway I live in the countryside, so nobody is going to be short of space out here.
    Seeing as no one owns the lands though, whats to stop me taking a fancy to the area you built you house and just turning up with a few lads with bulldozers, levelling your house and buidling my own?
    I would say the arseholes are the people who pay for a service they do little else but complain about. If you accept paying for something that is garbage only for fear of being locked up, .

No one was forced to own a tv.They chose to, knowing they needed a tv licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its not disgusting. It's sorting out arseholes that think laws dont apply to them.

Well if anyone who breaks a law is an arsehole, then it must be very tricky being perfect. Any pointers on how you manage this?

cloud493 wrote: »
    What? :confused:

You want someone to read it aloud for you?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well if anyone who breaks a law is an arsehole, then it must be very tricky being perfect. Any pointers on how you manage this?

He goes "baaaaa baaaaa" and obeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You are allowed to camp on An Coillte land. Won't cost you a penny. There's no clamping in the mountains either. There you go. I've just saved you paying rent with my top tip of the day.

Seeing as no one owns the lands though, whats to stop me taking a fancy to the area you built you house and just turning up with a few lads with bulldozers, levelling your house and buidling my own?

I didnt say nobody owned the land. I said I dont agree with the system, it doesnt mean Im deluded and live in denial. As I said before, Im not some mad man shouting "freeman of the land". If you were to bulldoze anything you would be locked up. Thats the system thats in place. Anyway its not my house, I just rent it.

Besides, if you were to actually come here you would struggle to get your bulldozer down the lane, its very narrow! By the time you had demolished all the wall for several hundred meters I would have shot you all and taken your bulldozer!

• Advertisement

The amount of ridiculous posts Ive read about people angry about others not contributing, purely because they themselves contribute. "If I have to pay for it, so should they!!!" they cry like inbred monkeys. Not for a second have they ever stopped to consider the fact that the only reason they are paying is because they are being forced to, not because they want to, or think the fee is fair.

So if no one paid, where would all that infrastructure come from that you like to use for free?

Seeing as your only a contractor to eirgrid as you claim, would it be ok if they just didn't pay you? Sure they can just get the work for free.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You are allowed to camp on An Coillte land. Won't cost you a penny. There's no clamping in the mountains either. There you go. I've just saved you paying rent with my top tip of the day.

What is An Coillte?

Im not worried about being clamped, Id just cut it off. I dont park obstructing people though, so I would only be clamped for not paying for the ticket. I must be lucky, Ive parked thousands of times, even in Dublin City centre without paying and have never got a clamp. I almost wish I did get clamped just to have the joy of cutting it right off.

I didnt say nobody owned the land. I said I dont agree with the system, it doesnt mean Im deluded and live in denial. As I said before, Im not some mad man shouting "freeman of the land". If you were to bulldoze anything you would be locked up. Thats the system thats in place. Anyway its not my house, I just rent it.

Besides, if you were to actually come here you would struggle to get your bulldozer down the lane, its very narrow! By the time you had demolished all the wall for several hundred meters I would have shot you all and taken your bulldozer!

we're working off your hypothetical alternate world where you can build anywhere. Stop shifting it around to suit yourself.

Just as well your the only gun owner Isnt it:rolleyes: I coul djust wait till you go out.as well

What is An Coillte?

Im not worried about being clamped, Id just cut it off. I dont park obstructing people though, so I would only be clamped for not paying for the ticket. I must be lucky, Ive parked thousands of times, even in Dublin City centre without paying and have never got a clamp. I almost wish I did get clamped just to have the joy of cutting it right off.

Now your just trolling. Theres very few places in Dublin that have pay and display where youll get away with repeatedly not getting clamped. Idont believe you and your little fantasies anymore than I believe you don't pay for plenty of other things.
    Theres a walter mitty forum somewhere for you to waffle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

What is An Coillte?

You might then be facing the joy of criminal prosecution. While private clamping is not provided for by law, the type carried out by Dublin City Council is and you'd have no defence to a charge for criminal damage.

Now your just trolling. Theres very few places in Dublin that have pay and display where youll get away with repeatedly not getting clamped. I dont believe you and your little fantasies anymore than I believe you don't pay for plenty of other things.
    Theres a walter mitty forum somewhere for you to waffle in.

Im not trolling. I have parked in Dublin plenty of times, never had a bother. Its just luck though. If you plan to avoid it, best if you find a car park with a ticketing system, like the car park in the old Dundrum shopping centre. You get the ticket at the barrier as you drive in, then are meant to pay at the machine and it validates your payment to allow you to leave. There are bollards around, but I've a 4X4 and just drive right over the kerb and out for free. I tried it once in a hire car and nearly grounded the thing as I dropped over the edge of the kerb onto the road.

As for clamps, if there is no clamp left at the scene, how are they to say what happened to it, apparently there are loads of people going around stealing clamps, I didnt even know my car was clamped! Oh and its a UK registered car on purpose, so good luck getting me to pay anything. Even if stopped by the traffic gards, they dont bother saying anything about having no MOT or road tax displayed. All they want to see is an insurance certificate.

we're working off your hypothetical alternate world where you can build anywhere. Stop shifting it around to suit yourself.

Just as well your the only gun owner Isnt it:rolleyes: I coul djust wait till you go out.as well
    Hypothetical world? I think youve misunderstood what Ive said. I said I dont agree with the system, I didnt invent some alternative reality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh and its a UK registered car on purpose
    I hope or your sake you never need to claim, or get claimed against. Your insurance is invalid.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I hope or your sake you never need to claim, or get claimed against. Your insurance is invalid.

Nope. Its fine. Many insurers provide cover for more than the typical 3 months you normally receive. I know there is very little choice between insurers in Ireland, but in the UK there is pretty much several choices for even the most bizarre insurance requests. The population size means there is loads of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wulfie

I watched a group of eastern Europeans come back to their car and found it clamped.They jacked up the corner the clamp was on.They unscrewed the wheel nuts.Some nuts were covered by the clamp and they had to let air out of the tyre to get at the remaining nuts.When the wheel was off,one fitted the spare while the other peeled the clamp from the first wheel.I thought they might chuck the clamp.into the Lee but it went into the boot.

5 minutes,job done. Well done them.

Is there some introduce yourself section here? If not I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Wulfie wrote: »
    I watched a group of eastern Europeans come back to their car and found it clamped.They jacked up the corner the clamp was on.They unscrewed the wheel nuts.Some nuts were covered by the clamp and they had to let air out of the tyre to get at the remaining nuts.When the wheel was off,one fitted the spare while the other peeled the clamp from the first wheel.I thought they might chuck the clamp.into the Lee but it went into the boot.

5 minutes,job done. Well done them.

Is there some introduce yourself section here? If not I won't.
    Welcome. Now I replied earlier in the thread, defending the OPs attitude towards the racket these guys were making. I don't think even the OP would mind if they were done and dusted in 5 minutes.
    FWIW my cars bottom ball joint is held to the wishbone by 2 x 17mm nuts and 1 x 17mm bolt. It would probably take less than 5 minutes to whip the clamp off with the minimum of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Im not trolling. I have parked in Dublin plenty of times, never had a bother. Its just luck though. If you plan to avoid it, best if you find a car park with a ticketing system, like the car park in the old Dundrum shopping centre. You get the ticket at the barrier as you drive in, then are meant to pay at the machine and it validates your payment to allow you to leave. There are bollards around, but I've a 4X4 and just drive right over the kerb and out for free. I tried it once in a hire car and nearly grounded the thing as I dropped over the edge of the kerb onto the road.

As for clamps, if there is no clamp left at the scene, how are they to say what happened to it, apparently there are loads of people going around stealing clamps, I didnt even know my car was clamped! Oh and its a UK registered car on purpose, so good luck getting me to pay anything. Even if stopped by the traffic gards, they dont bother saying anything about having no MOT or road tax displayed. All they want to see is an insurance certificate.

You are a regular One Man Crime Wave. I hope you had the good sense to get a diesel 4X4 so that you can use the green stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

He does have a point though. The whole thrust of modern living seems to be to make sure everyone pays several times for the same thing.

However, this being AH, I will just label him a tightarse Scotsman & observe that he doesn't know Irish people too well if he thinks his efforts to avoid paying for anything are in any way exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He does have a point though. The whole thrust of modern living seems to be to make sure everyone pays several times for the same thing.

However, this being AH, I will just label him a tightarse Scotsman & observe that he doesn't know Irish people too well if he thinks his efforts to avoid paying for anything are in any way exceptional.

I noticed his user name would suggest he is from some island near Scotland all right. But his location is Louth and he has plenty of likeminded renegades here to associate with. This being AH he will be something of a minor hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nope. Its fine. Many insurers provide cover for more than the typical 3 months you normally receive. I know there is very little choice between insurers in Ireland, but in the UK there is pretty much several choices for even the most bizarre insurance requests. The population size means there is loads of competition.
    So you're insured by a UK company for an extended period abroad? Fair enough if so, though if not you need to re register within 3 weeks from UK plates.

As for the clamp, I used to work in an insurance company where a clamping company repeatedly attempted clamping cars in our private car park, which is a pretty murky legal area in their own right. They did it to the wrong guy once though who I sat beside... And who took an industrial sized angle grinder to the thing after the office had closed! He kept the clamp for a few days until they came back for a different car, went up to the camper with the two mangled pieces of metal and told him he "must have forgotten this last time..." :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Wilfork wrote: »
    Dublin City Council

What that going to achieve????

I noticed his user name would suggest he is from some island near Scotland all right. But his location is Louth and he has plenty of likeminded renegades here to associate with. This being AH he will be something of a minor hero.

What a detective, I am indeed from said tiny isle! Do you want to know one of the benefits of coming from such a small island? Vehicles over 3 years old are exempt from requiring an MOT certificate. Technically they must be roadworthy, but you need nothing to prove it. You can only imagine the state of some of the cars.

If caught with green diesel I have my excuse all prepared. "Why yes Customs officer, it is indeed green, I always try to buy Irish whenever I can!"

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

If caught with green diesel I have my excuse all prepared. "Why yes Customs officer, it is indeed green, I always try to buy Irish whenever I can!"

And of course if that doesn't work you can just mount the kerb in your 4X4 and speed away cross-country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Here OP, Ya didnt get to see what kinda bolt cutters he was using and where abouts he bought it by any chance?

Anyone reccomend a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

.... You can only imagine the state of some of the cars.

I only have to think back to what it was like here, not so long ago ....

Advertisement