Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting off a Clamp

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Some entrepreneurial fella should set up an anti clamping business. De-clamping folks for a third of the clampers fee.

20 x €30 per day would be no soft wage. :)

Some entrepreneurial fella should set up an anti clamping business. De-clamping folks for a third of the clampers fee.

I can't imagine hem staying in business in one piece for very long when you consider the dodgy backgrounds that some of those clamping firms have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wilfork wrote: »
    What do you think?

He could have borrowed my angle grinder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

actually what would happen if you came back to your car and someone else had cut the lock on it for you? all you had to do is take off the clamp then

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nice idea but always think of the law of unforeseen consequences. The clampers would probably start removing offending vehicles immediately and they could charge an even more extortianate rate to release them.

• Advertisement

Nice idea but always think of the law of unforeseen consequences. The clampers would probably start removing offending vehicles immediately and they could charge an even more extortianate rate to release them.

Yeah they could I suppose. They might need a few changes to be made to the law first.

I don't know how lawful it would be to tow away a vehicle due to, say a lapsed ticket. But if they managed to change the law(if it needs changing) , maybe they could just rubber stamp the whole grey area surrounding clamping in the first place rendering 'De-clamp man' useless in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

So, can you actually legally remove a clamp, yourself like?

sopretty wrote: »
    So, can you actually legally remove a clamp, yourself like?

Yes, of course. Provided you don't damage it.

Yeah they could I suppose. They might need a few changes to be made to the law first.

I don't know how lawful it would be to tow away a vehicle due to, say a lapsed ticket. But if they managed to change the law(if it needs changing) , maybe they could just rubber stamp the whole grey area surrounding clamping in the first place rendering 'De-clamp man' useless in the first place.

There is plenty of legislation about parking, clamping and towing away. For public areas local bye laws cover this and they could be changed to allow immediate tow away.

There is draft legislation to more closely regulate the area of parking on private property amongst other things. The bad news for your entrepenurial de-clampers is that their activities will be made illegal.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/13794-GENERAL_SCHEME_OF_A_REGULATION_OF_VEHILCE_IMMOBILISATION_BILL_2013-0.PDF

Head 31 Interference with a lawfully fitted immobilisation device

It shall be an offence under this Act for any person to interfere with, damage, or remove a vehicle immobilisation device lawfully fitted by a licensed vehicle immobilisation operator to an unauthorised parked vehicle parked on either public property or on such private land / property as stipulated within this Act.

There is plenty of legislation about parking, clamping and towing away. For public areas local bye laws cover this and they could be changed to allow immediate tow away.

There is draft legislation to more closely regulate the area of parking on private property amongst other things. The bad news for your entrepenurial de-clampers is that their activities will be made illegal.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/13794-GENERAL_SCHEME_OF_A_REGULATION_OF_VEHILCE_IMMOBILISATION_BILL_2013-0.PDF

Head 31 Interference with a lawfully fitted immobilisation device

It shall be an offence under this Act for any person to interfere with, damage, or remove a vehicle immobilisation device lawfully fitted by a licensed vehicle immobilisation operator to an unauthorised parked vehicle parked on either public property or on such private land / property as stipulated within this Act.

There be the flaw. Until it's changed. My entrepreneurial mate could clean up. (like the clampers come to think of it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

"the clampers" being all clampers? Dublin Clampers? This guy in particular?

Nothing stopping you setting up a company and tendering for the contract when it comes up.

thanks but I think I will give it skip.. I lived in Dublin in the pre-clamping era. Everything moved along just fine, I also recently lived in Toronto... which is a much bigger city than Dublin, and guess what.. there are no clampers in Toronto. You can get a parking ticket alright, but they wont stand there with the hand out looking for $200, thats for phuking sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is there any specific law regarding parking in off-road areas, such as on grass at the side of the road, or even in the middle of a roundabout. I know that sounds ridiculous, but thats just an example. If you were not causing an obstruction it would be quite easy to find sneaky places to park in a 4X4 vehicle.

I imagine a lot of people would automatically assume "oh geez I cant park there" but is there a specific law detailing where you can or cannot park? There are plenty of little areas which don't have double yellow lines or anything because it would seem obvious you should not park there.

I just had a quick scoot around Dublin in streetview there and only a couple of minutes of going along did I see this. He isn't causing an obstruction to pedestrians, and is not on the road, so is this legal?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.334196,-6.265288,3a,75y,314.39h,69.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ss5A2BPoU226JQkfKW4lfiA!2e0

I fixed that for you. But it wasn't worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

I fixed that for you. But it wasn't worth the effort.

Eh...thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I just reported a car owner who was attempting to remove a clamp from his car by cutting and hammering it.

I'm not normally a busy body, but it just pissed me off for some reason. Partly because it was parked outside my house and the racket was disturbing my study. Partly because the distain and blatant 'fúck you' to law abiding citizens irritated me. Nobody likes being clamped. I've been clamped. But I took my medicine, paid the fee and moved on with my life.

What do you think?

The man is a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

We're all hypocrites really. If it's not one small rule you're not breaking or bending it's another. I think we should all stop caring. It's what I did and now I feel great.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Well first the NOISE was affecting my life.

More importantly, I have to pay €50 odd per year for the privilege of parking outside my house. So I think I feel justifiably aggrieved that other people with no respect for the rules think they are somehow more entitled than I am

Ok, so a lot of the time when I'm on boards.ie, I simply read threads without much input. However, this thread got to me, so I thought I'd reply.

Before I say anything, lets just hope that this guy is trolling.

OP, you must be one of those types that say 'if I have to pay, why doesn't he/she have to?'. From reading your posts on this thread, I feel people like you, including you, are wasters.

You don't know the first thing about the poor guy who got clamped. You've no idea of what he's going through. Maybe the 80 quid to pay the clamp release fee was all he had left for the week? Do you know if he has a family to support?

Even if the guy was minted, why did you have to stick a leg into his personal business?

If the TEMPORARY noise was bothering you (understandable since I myself am a student), then why couldn't you have shoved a pair of ear plugs in, moved to study somewhere else etc.

But you just wanted to get him in trouble. 'Why should he be able to get away with free parking when I have to pay fifty quid a year? You know what, I'll ring DCC.'.

You're some low life kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fair enough, you don't agree with private clamping. But disagreeing with the law doesn't mean you are free of your obligation to obey

Which law applies in relation to private clamping?
    I don't need to do any research to know you are talking ****e.

Who has been prosecuted for removing a private clamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,310 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The Dirty Rotten Cnuts!!!!!
    The clampers I mean!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Clampers are an anti social menace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement