Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is sick

• 08-03-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

I have a bichon x Tibetan spaniel and for the past few days she has been acting strangely.

Not eating
    Very lethargic
    Unsteady on her feet
    No control over her bladder
    Vomited once
    Glazed faraway look in eyes

Just wondering if anybody's dog has been similar. She has an appointment with vet today in an hours time and my husband is bringing her. I'm trying to stay positive but she has really changed. I can't imagine my life without her. She is 9 years old. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

How did you get on at the vet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney, it sounds like it could be any number of things, which I know isn't very hepful, but certainly getting her to the vet was the 100% right thing to do.
    How is she doing now?
    Sounds like a very interesting mix of pooches, I'm sure she's cuteness personified :-)
    Hope she's on the mend now that she has seen the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

The vet has said she is in quite a bit of pain. He has given painkillers and food for sick dogs in the hope that she will eat something. He said if she hasn't eaten by Monday then the kindest thing to do is put her out of her misery. Heartbroken but more so for our son who has had her for. 9 years since he was 3 :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just have the best weekend ever with her. And when Monday comes, bite your lip. Hope she gets better for you though.

Rosie last week on the left beside our bichon Charlie

F008CE1B-84C4-42D4-BAF4-3F942F8DCF31_zps3m1epyok.jpg

Rosie now

39A6FB93-B83E-4CBE-B2BB-C616BEC953CB_zpss3hh1fbo.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh crap :-(
    Does your vet have any idea what the problem is?
    Do you know and trust your vet? Maybe he gave plenty of info but it just seems a little incomplete for him to give painkillers and food, with a very final answer to the problem on Monday?
    Don't discount a second opinion, which you might want to consider ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Thinking of you Lukesmom . I can feel your pain.
    Our dog had just been at vet today too, possible heart issues. We are not how long more we will have him for.

Soo would second the suggestions offered above re having a great weekend with your family and dog as well as consulting a second opinion too.

Mind yourself

Vet gave her an injection to bring on hunger and she has just eaten a small tin of food he gave for her. I'm not sure what will happen now at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

lukesmom wrote: »
    Vet gave her an injection to bring on hunger and she has just eaten a small tin of food he gave for her. I'm not sure what will happen now at all?

I do hope she rallies lukesmom - she's such a little dote - did the vet take bloods? You know sometimes they can come back as quick as they go down. All the best I know how tough it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The vet has said she is in quite a bit of pain. He has given painkillers and food for sick dogs in the hope that she will eat something. He said if she hasn't eaten by Monday then the kindest thing to do is put her out of her misery. Heartbroken but more so for our son who has had her for. 9 years since he was 3 :(

I really wouldn't be happy with that diagnosis OP. Did your vet run any blood tests at all? With an inconclusive diagnosis I would expect bloods to be taken and definitely not such a definitive timeframe for your dogs demise! Does your dog have any previous illness history that might have influenced the vets opinion?

• Advertisement

I really wouldn't be happy with that diagnosis OP. Did your vet run any blood tests at all? With an inconclusive diagnosis I would expect bloods to be taken and definitely not such a definitive timeframe for your dogs demise! Does your dog have any previous illness history that might have influenced the vets opinion?

Hi no blood tests at all no. He reckons she ate something poisonous or it's cancer but poison is more like it as she got out the back fence on Wednesday that blew down and went into the neighbours garden and ever since then she has been very sick. She has no previous illness at all has always been healthy. Actually even had her neutered as I couldn't stand the thought of her in pain x

I find it utterly bizarre that your vet did not attempt a diagnosis... Even if, say, rat poison was suspected, your dog should now be on Vitamin K tablets, at the very least.
    That aside, at an absolute minimum, your vet should have taken blood and a urine sample, at the very least. Your vet would give me no confidence at all at this most critical time.
    OP, I can't be any more blunt than this: get your dog to a different vet tomorrow. In fact, were it me I'd be calling an emergency vet right now with a view to an immediate intake, with her staying overnight with the vet for monitoring.
    You poor thing, you must be mad with worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Please tell me your vet is a large animal or old fashioned vet..please because Im not at all impressed by what I have heard.
    Unless cost is a very serious issue I would strongly advise you to seek the advise of another vet. sooner rather than later.
    Actually even if cost is an issue I would look for a second opinion before putting down a little dog who is vomiting and off form ....why is she not in the vets on a drip to flush toxins if shes possibly been poisoned?has he given her vitamin k or any tablets that would combat rat posions effects? if she has cancer why is the illness sudden onset?did he say he can feel masses in her belly?
    Bloods or xrays could give an idea of what is going on with your little one and may give you an idea of whats going on..It may not be possible to get these done on a weekend easily but larger practices often have these facilities onsite.

If she has not being spayed she may even have what is called a closed pyometra. vomiting,tiredness and unwilling to eat but drinking as the hallmark signs of a pyo...
    When was her last season? If it is a pyo she can have an operation to remove the womb and has a very good chance of survival if she is put on fluids and antibiotics to stabilise her before surgery..
    Please dont write your little girl off without giving her a chance.

Edited to add I am a vet btw ...hence the concern. Please contact the emergency number for a vet who can admit your little one,

OP where are you based? Somebody may be able to recommend a different vet for a second opinion if we knew whereabout you were. At a bare minimum your vet should have run bloods for organ functionality etc. As DBB said, if rat poisoning (the most common poisoning) was suspected then your dog should be on vitamin K tablets to counteract the poison thinning the blood.

Have you spoken to your neighbour? Had they anything in their garden that could have caused it? If the vet knew a possible cause then it could help with treatment.

She has been neutered for years. She is a lot better now than what she was earlier before we brought her to vet so I can only hope this is the turning point. She is drinking more water and wagged her tail which I hadn't seen her do in 4 days although she is still fatigued. If there is no continuous improvement I will bring her to another vet. Our usual vet wouldn't see her today so we brought her to the vet my in laws use.

Edited to say I'm in navan

Will be keeping everything crossed for her, she's a little cutie!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Apologies I misinterpreted your post and thought she was entire...and as pyos are so common but can be treated I was concerned that you might lose her to a very treatable issue.

Personally I would prefer to see a little dog who wasn't eating in 4 days on a drip and being monitored but if she is improving on meds I can see why she is at home. Hopefully she will continue to improve. sorry for worrying you so much in previous post.

Aru wrote: »
    Apologies I misinterpreted your post and thought she was entire...and as pyos are so common but can be treated I was concerned that you might lose her to a very treatable issue.

Personally I would prefer to see a little dog who wasn't eating in 4 days on a drip and being monitored but if she is improving on meds I can see why she is at home. Hopefully she will continue to improve. sorry for worrying you so much in previous post.

No thank you I really appreciate your post x

She has been neutered for years. She is a lot better now than what she was earlier before we brought her to vet so I can only hope this is the turning point. She is drinking more water and wagged her tail which I hadn't seen her do in 4 days although she is still fatigued. If there is no continuous improvement I will bring her to another vet. Our usual vet wouldn't see her today so we brought her to the vet my in laws use.

Edited to say I'm in navan

That's great that she's perked up a bit.
    You're not a million miles away from a great vet in Slane, Francis Harvey. I reckon DBB would recommend her as well if Rosie is still not herself tomorrow or Monday at the very latest.

That's great that she's perked up a bit.
    You're not a million miles away from a great vet in Slane, Francis Harvey. I reckon DBB would recommend her as well if Rosie is still not herself tomorrow or Monday at the very latest.

Thank you. I'm only 7 miles from Slane village. I will update tomorrow evening with how Rosie is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

I would definitely go to Francis Harvey. I've had less than satisfactory results from 2 different vets in Navan until I found her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

There's a vet in Johnstown my brother uses,0469020500 that's their out of hours number if you want to put your mind at rest give them a call . I wouldn't be happy at all with the vets diagnoses.

I would definitely go to Francis Harvey. I've had less than satisfactory results from 2 different vets in Navan until I found her.

I can also tell you from personal experience, and from many people I know, that Frances will drop everything to help a dog at ludicrous hours of the day and night.
    There's nothing fancy about the clinic, in fact it can appear rather chaotic, but Frances will not rest until she has an answer. Even on a Sunday afternoon!
    Like lovelyjubbly, I've heard more than one negative report about a couple of the Navan vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

any update on Rosie Lukesmom?

aonb wrote: »
    any update on Rosie Lukesmom?

Hi

Last night Rosie ate some food for the first time in four days. Today's she has eaten plenty and has more energy. She seems to have had a turnaround and I'm just over the moon. She's wagging her tail again! My emotions have gone from feeling devastated that having her put down was mentioned as a real possibility, to utter elation at watching her eat and drink and best of all coming to greet me when I came home this afternoon. I don't know how the vets injection to make her eat and painkillers could have been so on the money but it seems to be the case. We are so happy especially our son. Thanks for all your kind comments, suggestions and concern. I dont want to jinx it but I reckon she is totally on the mend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I dont want to jinx it but I reckon she is totally on the mend.

Lukesmom, whilst that is absolutely fantastic news and I really hope she's over the worst.

I would be seriously questioning your choice of vet:
    He reckons she ate something poisonous or it's cancer

I know you're giving us a synopsis but even still...poison to cancer, with no bloods,scans,biopsies etc taken is way too far fetched for me.

Change vets asap if they haven't even done basic tests first.

Update too much information! She is getting sick a lot. clear liquid vomit like bile

Update too much information! She is getting sick a lot. clear liquid vomit like bile

You know what you need to do lukesmom, but hopefully your own usual vet can make a diagnosis this time, via the appropriate range of tests already outlined above.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

We don't have the money for the vet. We paid out €350 for our sons secondary school he's starting September so we are broke until next week. I rang local vet and asked could we pay the next week but they said no :( rosie is definitely in pain and is vomiting all day. So frustrating watching her in pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭Archeron

We don't have the money for the vet. We paid out €350 for our sons secondary school he's starting September so we are broke until next week. I rang local vet and asked could we pay the next week but they said no :( rosie is definitely in pain and is vomiting all day. So frustrating watching her in pain

If you can get her to Dublin, could the Blue Cross help?

Advertisement