Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is sick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Archeron wrote: »
    If you can get her to Dublin, could the blue cross help?

Will ring them tomorrow. Rosie is expelling liquid from her back passage. It is the foulest smelling liquid I have ever smelt. All day this is happening and just a few minutes ago I had to clean it up again. My heart is going out to her I feel so helpless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

lukesmom wrote: »
    We don't have the money for the vet. We paid out €350 for our sons secondary school he's starting September so we are broke until next week. I rang local vet and asked could we pay the next week but they said no :( rosie is definitely in pain and is vomiting all day. So frustrating watching her in pain
    That sort of response makes me think your local vet isn't the right vet at all. That's an extremley harsh way to treat you. Hopefully there's another vet who can let you pay later. It happens where I live regularly but then I'm rural and most of the animals owners would be on account.

No one can say what your dogs needs are except a vet and tbh your vet as they have already seen your dog, treated her and it didn't seem to work shouldn't be charging too much for a follow up. That's terrible hard on you and the family hopefully someone on here can advise on a nearby vet that worries if an animal is suffering. Take care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

We don't have the money for the vet. We paid out €350 for our sons secondary school he's starting September so we are broke until next week. I rang local vet and asked could we pay the next week but they said no :( rosie is definitely in pain and is vomiting all day. So frustrating watching her in pain

Call Frances Harvey in Slane. There's not a chance she would leave the dog suffer for want of being paid next week. I can pm you her phone number if you like, but she runs her clinics 7-8pm weekdays on a first-come-first-served basis.
    Your current vet no longer deserves your custom with an attitude like that, in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

lukesmom, can you PM any of the Mods here and we'll try and help you out.

If you can tell us what part of the country you are in someone will PM you with help. We will do our utmost to help you here.

I'm in Navan

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    lukesmom, can you PM any of the Mods here and we'll try and help you out.

If you can tell us what part of the country you are in someone will PM you with help. We can't name charities/rescues....but we will do our utmost to help you here.

Edit: It has pained me to snip advice here. Seriously. If the OP wants help they are free to PM anyone here including Mods for help.

I've pmd you x

Have sent an email to my usual vet pleading for them to see rosie and let me pay in installments. Just hoping my phone rings soon with good news. I've told them I believe she is dying. I really hope they consider this x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have sent an email to my usual vet pleading for them to see rosie and let me pay in installments. Just hoping my phone rings soon with good news. I've told them I believe she is dying. I really hope they consider this x

To be veery honest OP, your vet may not even pick up to email til its too late, my vet only responds the next day etc. so there could be a delay.

Personally I wouldnt risk it, your dog is getting sicker by the hour here so please call the vet and verbally plead... its harder to say no in person or on the phone rather than via an email.

Have you tried to place in Slane DBB recommended?

Really hope your dog is ok.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I can only hope they monitor their emails regularly and get back to you quickly. I'd be more inclined to phone or call in person to them. Your dog is critically ill, there isn't an awful lot of time to hang around here for an email from a vet who has already refused you.
    You have been given the contact details of a number of other vets and charities that will certainly help, including a super vet just minutes away from you who is not expensive, and not a money-grabber.
    Your dog needs to see a vet today, and ASAP. If your own vet, who I would be contacting right now, does not agree to help, the other options must be explored immediately before you run out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

They could take ages to email back. She's suffering, there has to be somewhere else that will see her and let you pay later. Most Vets are more compassionate than your current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

DBB wrote: »
    I can only hope they monitor their emails regularly and get back to you quickly. I'd be more inclined to phone or call in person to them. Your dog is critically ill, there isn't an awful lot of time to hang around here for an email from a vet who has already refused you.
    You have been given the contact details of a number of other vets and charities that will certainly help, including a super vet just minutes away from you who is not expensive, and not a money-grabber.
    Your dog needs to see a vet today, and ASAP. If your own vet, who I would be contacting right now, does not agree to help, the other options must be explored immediately before you run out of time.

Please do this! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Agree with above posts.
    OP if Rosie is vomiting and has diarrhea then she is very much in danger of dehydration. Is she drinking water? Can you syringe some water into her if she isn't? At this stage I reckon she needs IV fluids at a minimum. Please don't delay and find a vet that will let you pay in installments.

Hi just heard back from last hope and unfortunately they aren't in a position to help me right now as their funds are also tight. I also rang my local vet and as they are trying to manage on tight costs they can't let me come today and pay next Tuesday :( so Im just taking the money out of an urgent bill that needed paying, Rosie is much much more important, have appointment at 4.40 today. By the way the vet is shocked at what the other vet gave Rosie (pain injection) she said on the phone it should have been vitamin K. Will be back to you all here later and will let you know Rosie's condition.

I'm so grateful for all your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi just heard back from last hope and unfortunately they aren't in a position to help me right now as their funds are also tight. I also rang my local vet and as they are trying to manage on tight costs they can't let me come today and pay next Tuesday :( so Im just taking the money out of an urgent bill that needed paying, Rosie is much much more important, have appointment at 4.40 today. By the way the vet is shocked at what the other vet gave Rosie (pain injection) she said on the phone it should have been vitamin K. Will be back to you all here later and will let you know Rosie's condition.

I'm so grateful for all your advice.

Fair play OP, fingers crossed she ok XXX

What a day. Had to put Rosie down today. Bawled crying the whole way through, a very sad 12 year old son here tonight :( he will be fine though and it was the kindest thing to do x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Soooo sad. Have been following this thread closely hoping all would be well. I am very sorry for your loss.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ah lukesmom I'm so sad for ye.
    It's such a tough time . I'll be thinking of ye . Mind yourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Awh very sorry to hear about your loss.

Rip Rosie.

What a day. Had to put Rosie down today. Bawled crying the whole way through, a very sad 12 year old son here tonight :( he will be fine though and it was the kindest thing to do x

OP, I'm so sorry, but at least you were there with her at the end.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sorry to hear lukesmom. I was rooting for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I'm very sorry to hear that :( R.I.P Rosie :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Just stumbled on this tread. Was rooting for little Rosie. So sorry to hear she had to be put to sleep, but at least you did all you could. RIP little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Ah no :( sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah no, so sorry to hear this. What happened lukesmom? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Just came across this thread...so so sorry to hear lukesmom :( RIP Rosie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So sorry Lukesmom - sleep well Rosie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Just stumbled across this thread. Am heart broken here and tears in my eyes reading about rosie. Have been there, and feel so sad for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

very very sad time, r.i.p. Rosie, it's obvious to anyone who reads this thread that she had a good life and was loved. hate being negative but a vet that doesn't react immediately when you need them regardless of money is in the wrong job. I know one time when my dog was ill I was flustered at the vet and left without paying. no panic on the money either they got paid when the mistake was realised by me after I got home.

Thanks. Cannot begin to try and explain how deverstated I am :(

• Advertisement

Thanks. Cannot begin to try and explain how deverstated I am :(

You have every right to be devastated, you did nothing wrong, you brought your dog to the vet, but in my opinion both vets failed miserably at helping Rosie. The first for a vague assumption of either poison or cancer and lack of adequate testing, and your own vet for not immediately attending to your dog when you needed to pay in installments. There are much better vets out there that are diligent, compassionate and most importantly don't refuse to see your dog if you're struggling to pay immediately for whatever reason.

Advertisement