Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy hedge suggestions

• 08-03-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I want to plant a hedge along my fence in the back garden. The fence is 6' high but is very gappy by design. There is very little privacy (and it's easy to see into the neighbours gardens) or even wind or noise protection.

Is there any obvious hedging that I can plant now to address this?
    I don't want a very deep hedge, something like creepers might be better or at most a 6" thick hedge.

It's a south facing garden but doesn't get much direct sunlight in winter due to it being dug into a hill. Then again, probably makes little difference, considering the climate.

I have pets too so non poisonous suggestions please.

All ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A 6in thick hedge is a bit of a big ask! Pyracantha is a possibility for an evergreen shrubby 'climber', also cotoneaster horizontalis. Both would need to be encouraged to grow up the fence by tying in, but it sounds as though the fence would be very suitable for this. Solanum is another possibility, I personally prefer the white one Solanum Crispum alba, but I suspect it is not as hardy as the more common blue version. There are also some evergreen clematis which might be suitable. The small leaved honeysuckle (lonicera) is a possibility of a hedging plant, It could be very effective if you kept it well trimmed, it would grow against the fence and could be kept narrow, it would need a good bit of trimming though. There are also some evergreen honeysuckle, though I am of the opinion that honeysuckle can be as rampant as ivy and will pull down a structure if it gets overgrown. Those are a few ideas that come to mind, I am sure there are others.

Edit: reference your dogs, Solanum, like all members of the potato family, is poisonous to humans, I am not sure whether it is a danger to animals.

Advertisement