Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alaskan malamute 13week

• 08-03-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Anyone know what weight a 13week old mal should be?

Also what is the best food I should be giving him to help him fill out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Shanekk22 wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone know what weight a 13week old mal should be?

Also what is the best food I should be giving him to help him fill out.

You should be able to feel but not see his ribs. There's TONS of threads on food here if you search but you should NOT be trying to fill out a pup especially a large breed - you want them lean so as not to do damage to their growing joints so a slow and steady growth rate. Pups are lanky :p - it's normal and there's plenty of time to fill them out later. I feed my adult retriever on a raw diet and have done the same with my pup - raw meat and supplemented with a good quality wet food (Rocco/Naturediet) she's 9 months and has only started filling out the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shanekk22

Ok thanks for that, he is 11kg at 13weeks I thought this might be a little under for a mal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I don't have coopers weight in front of me, but i think he was about 11kg at 13 weeks too. Expect the weight gain and growth to be massive in the next few months! My vet did a double take at one of his weigh ins, thinking it couldn't be right as he had been putting on over a kg a week!

He was neutered at 10.5mths and weighed 31kg. He's almost 12mths now but i haven't had him weighed since...must do.

There is sognificant variation in weights and sizes of fully grown mals - even the breed standard allows for weights between 38-58kg.

On a forum i was reading the other day a poster has a 7.5mth old mal who is 40kg :eek:

Speak to your dogs breeder if ypu are unsure about any aspect of his development & growth

Yeah you'll have variations like mel.b says so it's easier to go buy how he looks/feels - every dog is different but 13kg sounds about right? He'll look fat one day then like a skeleton the next over the next few months! :) You'll need to gradually increase his food for months then start cutting it back once his growth starts to slow down.

Oh i remember those days - fat one day and all legs the next. Growing out then up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Weighed Jack today (13 weeks) and he's a strong, but certainly not fat, 11.5kg.

Granted he's a Husky... Just to give you some comparison / guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

He does not seem too be far from his ideal weight I have posted some Logan's weights below for reference, as mentioned young pups do look filled out one day and lanky the next.

his size will be determined by a few things genetics, rest and food, the breeder should be able to indicate the fathers/mothers weight and you can work from there, logan tripled his weight in 10 weeks from bringing him home and he slept so much.

I was feeding a high quality kibble but thought given his lines he should be doing better, I moved him on to kibble in the morning and two chicken legs in the evening and the change was very impressive even after one week.

I feed both mine raw full-time now and would highly recommend it, in regards to kibble when I did feed it I found Eden, Millies Wolfheart and Orjen to be very good.

if you are interested there is an Irish based company which sells whole meats/raw dog food and writes some very good articles on raw feeding & supplements, I can PM details if you like

8 weeks = 8.4 kg (18.5 lbs)
    10 weeks = 10.34 kg (22.8 lbs)
    11 weeks = 11.61 kg (25.6 lbs)
    13.5 weeks = 14.61 kg (32.2 lbs)
    15 weeks = 17.6 kg (38.8 lbs)
    18 weeks = 23.5 kg (51.8 lbs)
    5 Months =29 kg (64 lbs)
    7 1/2 Months 42.42 kg (93.5 lbs)

Madisonmenece, do you mind me asking what height (at the shoulder) Logan is? Just you're the second person i've seen recently who is at that weight at 7.5mths. Cooper is almost 12mths and i'd estimate 33kgish for him, based on being 31kg in Jan. i can't imagine another 10kg on him!

I'm not (overly) worried as, as i posted above there is huge variation within the breed, and Cooper's breeder won reserve BOB at crufts last week and also breed the dog that won post-graduate dog (that dog has the same sire as Cooper), but it does give me an inferority complex when i hear younger dogs have significantly bigger weights, LOL!

Edit: just quickly measured Cooper and he is 25-26 inches at the shoulder which is within the breed standard. Phew, don't feel like i have a runt anymore!

Mel.B

I just measured him now if I done it correct he seems to be in around 23 - 23.5 inches at the shoulder, below are a few recent pics to give any idea of his build as they can vary. The pics are both between grooms so his whites are not showing up as well as they can.

20140223_105604_zpsxqdlxtdx.jpg

20131130_091915_zpsqa4t0tnu.jpg

Hey Madisonmenece

Can I hijack the thread for a minute and ask what you were feeding Logan, and how young?

We feed half kibble, half raw to Hugo, our 3 year old husky. But, we only started a year or so ago. He eats chicken legs or drumstick every other day. The days in between its a 'parcel' that I mix and freeze (about 2 weeks worth) containing meat, fish, veg, rice, oils and egg. With a big meaty brisket bone once a fortnight for his teeth.

I'm mad to get Jack (13 weeks) onto raw ASAP. But, with his baby teeth, size and age - I'd imagine chicken legs, etc... would be out?

Any pearls of wisdom for us?

• Advertisement

Oh he's beautiful Madisonmenece :)

He does look very similar to Cooper in build. I'll have to try and get some photos of Cooper like the ones you have. All the ones i have are him sitting, laying or action shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What are you feeding at the moment OP?

Hooked wrote: »
    Hey Madisonmenece

Can I hijack the thread for a minute and ask what you were feeding Logan, and how young?

We feed half kibble, half raw to Hugo, our 3 year old husky. But, we only started a year or so ago. He eats chicken legs or drumstick every other day. The days in between its a 'parcel' that I mix and freeze (about 2 weeks worth) containing meat, fish, veg, rice, oils and egg. With a big meaty brisket bone once a fortnight for his teeth.

I'm mad to get Jack (13 weeks) onto raw ASAP. But, with his baby teeth, size and age - I'd imagine chicken legs, etc... would be out?

I know logan was getting chicken legs at 4 months old if not a few weeks earlier, we were feeding Eden kibble part time. if you are worried about bones at this stage soft minces would be a good place to start, introduce it gradually with his kibble increasing the amount of raw food and reducing the amount of kibble with each feed.

when you do move to chicken legs or similar possibly feed by hand at first until he knows how to deal with bones. uncooked chicken bones are fairly soft but dont be surprised if your pup does get sick every now and again when you start moving to raw, this usually passes after a week or less.

do be careful with bone selection, large weight bearing bones are best avoided.

cheers col

Hooked wrote: »

You could always go for duck or chicken necks since the bones are small and soft? Both Slaney and dogsfirst are doing smaller bags of duck necks now so would be handy for you to try. I waited until Lucy was 4 months before trying her with chicken legs.

Cheers to ye both above!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shanekk22

Mel.B

I just measured him now if I done it correct he seems to be in around 23 - 23.5 inches at the shoulder, below are a few recent pics to give any idea of his build as they can vary. The pics are both between grooms so his whites are not showing up as well as they can.

Hi

I know someone wanting a mal the same as your mal.

What colour is this? Is it wolf gray and white? What should I be looking out for to get this colour as it can be hard when there a pup

Thanks

Shanekk22 wrote: »
    Hi

I know someone wanting a mal the same as your mal.

What colour is this? Is it wolf gray and white? What should I be looking out for to get this colour as it can be hard when there a pup

Thanks

Gray and white is on his papers I think, but the color is seal. They will look very different as a young pup as their coat changes as they mature as yours would have also. "Seal" coloring can be identified in young pup by a black strip down the back almost like a badger.

You can almost make out the balck strip on this pic when Logan was a pup

20130223_115248_zps845b6b19.jpg

Advertisement