Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP 2014

Options
  • 08-03-2014 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭

So, did anybody here do the MSAP exam this morning?

I don't know what to make of it. The multiple choice questions were every bit as horrible as I had been led to believe. Far more tricky than the practice questions. I felt that some of them definitely had more than one potentially correct answer. I've got no idea whether I got 35/35 or 0/35, to be honest. I've never left an exam feeling so baffled about how I might have done.

I think I might have done ok with the essays. Although the structure of my second one went slightly awry towards the end, and I found myself repeating stuff that I had said earlier. I managed to finish them both with a minute or two to spare, so at least I had time to read over them.

Just wondering what others thought of it (partly in the hope of reassuring myself that I wasn't the only one who found it a bit brutal).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Ya, I did it as well. I'm quite happy with it. I felt I did well in the essay part, although not as well in the reflective essay as I normally do. I finished far earlier than I expected and nearly filled the booklet, so I had time to read back over. I was pleased.

I found module two far easier than the practice tests. I am, however in the minority when it comes to this. I heard a lot of people saying it was more difficult. I finished it after twenty five minutes. This afforded me plenty of time to revise it. Good job too. I did not understand the poem the first time around. I ended up changing the answers.

I'm not sure I got one of the diagrams at all. It was just three questions though, so hopefully it doesn't matter. I was disappointed that two diagrams came up. I am weak at those. I knew at least one would come up, but still, I failed to prepare as well as I could.
    Overall, I feel like I did well enough. However, I could have just as easily got them all wrong as well. Ce la vie.

Listen, don't worry too much about it, I'm sure you did well. All the best anywho, I hope to see you in September.

Regards

Colm

P.s, what are you going for, if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Yeah, I made quite a few changes too at the end - although with one or two of them, I might as well have been tossing a coin. I thought the diagrams were horribly tedious. I felt that my brain was going to melt during one of them. I suppose that's the whole point of it really - to see how everyone copes with the pressure. Thankfully I've forgotten most of my answers, so I'm not torturing myself by Googling everything. All we can do now is wait for the results. All the best with it. :)

Really hoping to do History and Politics in UCD. What are you going for?

Ya, my mind goes pretty blank when I come out of tests. I did google one thing, I made a mistake in my essay, I mentioned the "Rape Of Shanghai" but it was actually the "Rape Of Nanking." Poopy happens.
    Some of the answers to module two seemed ridiculously obvious to me, and I don't trust that. I'm going to go ahead and declare the that I got the second graph question wrong. All three of those questions. They couldn't have been that easy. Probably got most of the question about the art thing wrong as well.

I'm still pretty confident though. Ya, I'm just going to distract myself with other stuff while waiting. Probably by making love to a string of beautiful women, as is my style.

History and Politics sounds really interesting. I hope you get it. I'm going for Social Sciences in UCC with an eye to becoming a Social Worker.

Speaking of pressure, the girl next to me started crying during the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I'm just going to distract myself with other stuff while waiting. Probably by making love to a string of beautiful women, as is my style.

:D

Give 'em one for me too while you're at it. I've a pregnant wife here providing all the distraction I can manage!

Found the first questions in module 2 about the philosophy extract very hard. The rest didn't seem to bad except that fecking art diagram.
    I hope you don't lose points for bad handwriting because mine was pretty bad in the written parts.

Moomat wrote: »
    :D

Give 'em one for me too while you're at it. I've a pregnant wife here providing all the distraction I can manage!

Found the first questions in module 2 about the philosophy extract very hard. The rest didn't seem to bad except that fecking art diagram.
    I hope you don't lose points for bad handwriting because mine was pretty bad in the written parts.

Cool, a pregnant wife, that's really good news. It'll be a super busy year for you so with college and a baby, but also a very rewarding one.

Best of luck with both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kathy09

Hi i also did the test today , essays were all over the place i think the questions were ok , the man beside me got up and said i wouldnt be going to ucd anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MJT_90

Did the test too yesterday, not sure what to make of it to be honest. Think the best way to describe it is cautiously optimistic! Thought the essays were only ok. I found myself rambling towards the end of them but hopefully they were ok. I'm a bit more optimistic about the multiple choice, it was everything I expected it to be although one or two were touch and go. Fingers crossed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

I was posting in the UCC forum, I did mine in UCD Blackrock. I didn't finish either essay or the questions. Really pessimistic after it, but all I can do is wait to hear. I barely got through about 2/3 of the questions so randomly ticked the rest. I took ages to decide what to write about for the 1st essay, then wrote a good bit but left myself hardly any time for the 2nd essay. So any structure for either essay went out the window...

Milo you must have tore through those questions if you did it in 25mins. That's well under 1 minute per question, fair play. Maybe I should start drinking coffee! Time was my biggest problem, I'm quite positively negative after all that, wonder how I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Thought the essays were ok actually, felt I did well in those but that's for a marker to judge now I suppose. I did topic 4 of task A and the topic 5 of task B.

The multiple choice were very hard I thought, I'm far better at essays than those type of multiple choice. The ones with the diagrams are definitely deliberately there to trip you up. The extracts and poem questions were ok though.

Hoping to do Sport Studies and PE in UCC so find it a bit strange that these type of exams are used for this type of course but its over now so will just have to wait and see. Best of luck to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MJT_90

Does anybody know when the results are posted? Think I read somewhere it should take 6 weeks but not really sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

MJT_90 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the results are posted? Think I read somewhere it should take 6 weeks but not really sure.

Sat mine on the 23rd of the February last year and the results were out the 28th of March for overall score and the percentiles followed on the 29th; so 5ish weeks. I would've guessed it'd be slightly faster this year, since Easter's deep in April.

Lenmeister wrote: »

Milo you must have tore through those questions if you did it in 25mins. That's well under 1 minute per question, fair play.

Ya, I know but that didn't come out of nowhere. I planned and prepared very well for the test. I consciously developed my reading speed. I did lots of different little things, even being as pedantic as buying glasses with larger frames so I could take in more at a glance.
    I knew I could not face doing it again next year.

Having said that, it could be the fastest anybody has ever failed in the history of the Msap. We just don't know.

My advice to you sir, is to take this year as a practice year. Next year you'll be far better prepared and you'll know exactly what you need to do. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Weslorfin

Hi everyone I'm wondering how people did on Saturday on modules 1 and 3 I found I ran into simple things from school that I had forgotten and spent some time trying to remember. I didn't have this problem with the sample test so I found it misleading.

I only got trough half the test by the time 10 mins was called so the rest were little more than guesses.

Anyone else find it disappointing?

Results on 22nd April 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bloodstormaoa

Hope everyone is pleased with their results.

I received an e-mail from acer just there and I'm a little disappointed. I was sure I had done better in Module one.

This might be a silly question, but can anybody explain the percentile stuff? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Hope everyone is pleased with their results.

I received an e-mail from acer just there and I'm a little disappointed. I was sure I had done better in Module one.

This might be a silly question, but can anybody explain the percentile stuff? :p

This is my understanding of percentile, could be wrong!
    I got an overall percentile of 79%, this means I scored higher than 78% of the other applicants. For example if 100 people took the test I would of scored hgher than 78 people.

Pretty disapointed with my score in module 1 too. 50% percentile. Should of been less controversal! :D ( or improve my writing and spelling) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

I got an overall percentile of 79%, this means I scored higher than 78% of the other applicants. For example if 100 people took the test I would of scored hgher than 78 people.

Pretty disapointed with my score in module 1 too. 50% percentile. Should of been less controversal! :D ( or improve my writing and spelling) :)

Hi
    I was only scored on one module because of the diagrams and the fact that the test, in its electronic format was written ridiculously badly. I got 88 percent in the essay module, which was the one they scored me on. I did attempt module 2 and found it awful. Things weren't really explained that well and I left the test feeling pretty crap so can't believe I got that score in the essay questions!
    Hopefully enough for an offer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barlow89

MSAP-Ireland RESULTS
    Module 1 Score: 109 Module 1 Percentile 59
    Module 2 Score: 80 Module 2 Percentile 16
    Module 3 Score: Module 3 Percentile
    Overall (1 & 2) Score: 95 Overall (1 & 2) Percentile 35
    Overall (1 & 3) Score: Overall (1 & 3) Percentile

OMG..... have i faile can anybody tell me i did so bad in section two

i think i failed did do bad in section two how is my overall percentile 35 so **** can someone tell me if i failed

MSAP-Ireland RESULTS
    Module 1 Score: 109 Module 1 Percentile 59
    Module 2 Score: 80 Module 2 Percentile 16
    Module 3 Score: Module 3 Percentile
    Overall (1 & 2) Score: 95 Overall (1 & 2) Percentile 35
    Overall (1 & 3) Score: Overall (1 & 3) Percentile

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I was 65 percentile over all, 72 in module 2 and 53 in module 1.
    Pretty happy with module 2 results, was sure I'd done better in module 1 though, hoping it's high enough to be above the cutoff point for the courses I applied for, guess I'll find out soon enough!

I was *certain* I'd done a lot better in module 1 than module 2 though, ah well.

edit:
    Never mind, just realised module 1 was the essay questions, yeah, I did horribly in those.

• Advertisement

Scored in the 62nd Percentile for Module 1 and the 58th Percentile for Module 2, thought I had done better in Module 1 tbh. Scored in the 61st Percentile overall so don't think that will be enough for the course I applied for in UCC but sure we'll wait and see.

Pretty disapointed with my score in module 1 too. 50% percentile. Should of been less controversial! :D ( or improve my writing and spelling) :)

AFAIK, handwriting, spelling and grammar aren't really taken into account in the essay questions, it's based on the substance of your writing, ie, could you get your point across in a coherent manner and the structure was decent.

Also, remember, it's 50 percentile not 50% grade, you did better than at least half of the people there, so you did ok (that's what I'm telling myself anyway :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fi Barry

I'm pretty gutted, but unsure of my results. Maybe someone here could let me know in plain English what they mean? :( Is this terrible? Do I have any hope of getting into Uni. :(

Module1 score 95
    Module 2 score 91
    Module 1 percentile 26
    Module 2 percentile 37
    Overall score 93 Overall percentile 30

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Nightshad3

Hi guys

Seems I did ok,

Module 1 score 122, percentile 84

Module 2 score 118 percentile 81

overall score 120, percentile 85

When do I find out is it enough for my course?

I got 95 but my percentile is only 35 does this mean I failed

Nightshad3 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Seems I did ok,

Module 1 score 122, percentile 84

Module 2 score 118 percentile 81

overall score 120, percentile 85

When do I find out is it enough for my course?

I'd be extremely confident of progressing with those scores to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 merkal

i scored overall percentile of 92 so i am thrilled. don't know if its enough for my first choice but its definitely enough for my second!
    so sorry to those who didn't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 baddaboo

Gutted with my results
    99 module 1
    112 module 2
    Overall percentile of 56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I did better than I expected.

Module 1 Score: 136 (percentile 96)
    Module 2 Score: 130 (percentile 93)
    Overall Score: 133 (percentile 97)

I've no idea how that happened, to be honest. I had a feeling that my essays were ok, but I found Module 2 horrible. I was completely unsure about every single question.

The colleges take your personal statement, etc, into account too, so I don't think offers are based on MSAP results alone.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I did better than I expected.

Module 1 Score: 136 (percentile 96)
    Module 2 Score: 130 (percentile 93)
    Overall Score: 133 (percentile 97)

I've no idea how that happened, to be honest. I had a feeling that my essays were ok, but I found Module 2 horrible. I was completely unsure about every single question.

The colleges take your personal statement, etc, into account too, so I don't think offers are based on MSAP results alone.

Jesus fair play, that's a fantastic score. It depends on the course you choose whether it depends solely on the results. If it is the case for you, I think you're more or less guaranteed you place!

Advertisement