Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

RayM wrote: »
    I did better than I expected.

Module 1 Score: 136 (percentile 96)
    Module 2 Score: 130 (percentile 93)
    Overall Score: 133 (percentile 97)

I've no idea how that happened, to be honest. I had a feeling that my essays were ok, but I found Module 2 horrible. I was completely unsure about every single question.

The colleges take your personal statement, etc, into account too, so I don't think offers are based on MSAP results alone.

You motherfúcker, you screwed up the curve....I mean, um, congratulations. You're bound to get your coarse. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Fair play Ray that's a fantastic result. I'm devastated with mine, 22 and 41 percentile. They'll probably throw my application back at me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 merkal

I did better than I expected.

Module 1 Score: 136 (percentile 96)
    Module 2 Score: 130 (percentile 93)
    Overall Score: 133 (percentile 97)

I've no idea how that happened, to be honest. I had a feeling that my essays were ok, but I found Module 2 horrible. I was completely unsure about every single question.

The colleges take your personal statement, etc, into account too, so I don't think offers are based on MSAP results alone.

module 2 was very difficult, it always came down to 2 possible answers and it could swing either way. it was hard to come out of that module confident! well done on the great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 crazycatlady18

When I spoke to someone in the mature student office at UCC back in January, she told me that places would be offered to people who score in the 90th percentile or better. My inquiry at the time was about a course that would give me an Arts degree so not sure about other areas. She also made it a point to tell me that although the personal statement is taken into account, the test scores are what they focus a lot of their attention on. I scraped by by the skin of my teeth. I honestly couldn't believe my result. I left the test in tears back in March thinking there was no way I could have possibly scored what I needed. Congrats to those that did well. My heart really goes out to everyone because it was not an easy test at all.

When I spoke to someone in the mature student office at UCC back in January, she told me that places would be offered to people who score in the 90th percentile or better. My inquiry at the time was about a course that would give me an Arts degree so not sure about other areas. She also made it a point to tell me that although the personal statement is taken into account, the test scores are what they focus a lot of their attention on. I scraped by by the skin of my teeth. I honestly couldn't believe my result. I left the test in tears back in March thinking there was no way I could have possibly scored what I needed. Congrats to those that did well. My heart really goes out to everyone because it was not an easy test at all.

86 :(

• Advertisement

don't give up hope yet! She could have just said those things to me in an effort to make sure i prepared myself and didn't rely on my personal statement alone. i would think there would be allowances given to those that come close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well I was 65 percentile over all and I got an appointment for an interview in UCC on the 8th of May, so don't stress too much lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I got 69th percentile overall and got into UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Balubah

Does anyone know when the uni sends out their offers to mature students or how do we find out what the cut off percentile is??

don't give up hope yet! She could have just said those things to me in an effort to make sure i prepared myself and didn't rely on my personal statement alone. i would think there would be allowances given to those that come close.

Yes you are right. I actually got a letter this morning to interview. Which means when I got drunk last night, I wasn't drowning my sorrows, I was actually celebrating....I just didn't know it.:D

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well I was 65 percentile over all and I got an appointment for an interview in UCC on the 8th of May, so don't stress too much lads!

Best of luck :)

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I got 69th percentile overall and got into UCD.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 luiblue

Hi Everyone,

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I did ok in the module 1, surprisingly as I didn't finish it, but module 2 let me down badly.

I am not holding out much hope to be honest but I was just wondering at what point do the offers come out? It would be nice to know so that I can just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Brother applied, just wondering when the CAO will contact with the accepted applicants for the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brefne

Just wondering if anyone has applied to NUIG for courses with a quota of 2 places for Mature Students? Any idea how high the bar is in terms of percentile for these coveted places?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Does anyone know if you're assessed on your overall percentile ranking/score only or are all each of the individual scores/rankings assessed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

The Actualy MSap score is not the only thing taken into account. Depending on the course and college you applied to, there could be many things taken into account. EG - If you:

Are currently doing a course that is related to your current course choice, they will recognise your efforts in that current course.

Have already obtained a degree, diploma, cert at a college/university before.

Have a job in a field that relates to the course you applied for.

Have gone back to school to obtain grades in subjects that are required by the college for your course.

Made a personal statement highlighting your want to do better in life and further yourself and your ambitions etc.

So the actual score in the test itself is not the only thing that determines if you get a place or not. Sometimes showing your determination to get into the course and do well for yourself, along with other things, can have an impact on whether you are offered a place or not. I know for a fact that some people before have done terrible in the exam but because of their personal statements, together with other things, had an impact on the college and resulted in them being offered a place.

That being said it's obviously not easy and I've no idea about how exactly they determine who gets a place. But I do hope everyone here gets the place they want.

I have just been offered a place in UCD. Delighted and also a little shocked as I always expect the worst.

Congratulations Luiblue! Best of Luck <3

Very kind of you. Thank you.

• Advertisement

luiblue wrote: »
    I have just been offered a place in UCD. Delighted and also a little shocked as I always expect the worst.

WELL DONE luiblue..... what course are you going to do. you must be so excited!
    i am dying to find out if i've got in...... they said we'll get a letter the first week in july.

It is English and Art History. I am more shocked than delighted as I was not happy with my msap exam. But I am thrilled that I am getting this opportunity.

I'm sure you will get your offer very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

luiblue wrote: »
    It is English and Art History. I am more shocked than delighted as I was not happy with my msap exam. But I am thrilled that I am getting this opportunity.

I'm sure you will get your offer very soon.

I think, but am not sure, that I got my letter from UCD. My sister is coming later to reed it for me. Its driving me mad not being able to reed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Well done, luiblue.

I've been offered a place in UCD too - Arts (History & Politics). I did surprisingly well in the MSAP test, but I was still pretty relieved when I got the letter this morning.

Well done RayM! It is still sinking in but I am very excited.

Well done, luiblue.

I've been offered a place in UCD too - Arts (History & Politics). I did surprisingly well in the MSAP test, but I was still pretty relieved when I got the letter this morning.

congratulations ray! looks like ARTS people are getting their offers now so..... i'm waiting on social science... ugh come on already!!

Advertisement