Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favourite Groups that have both Male & Female Members

Options
  • 08-03-2014 5:31pm

im so sick of listening to music by solo artists or male or female only groups

so for about the last 6 months Ive been listening to group that have make and female members mostly upbeat music to keep motivated while im running

Ive been listening to aqua & Alcazar

what are you favourite groups that have males & female members

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Can't beat the B52's for upbeat!

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Can't beat the B52's for upbeat!

i listen to a lot of cheezy music but the B52 is to cheezy for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Showing my age I guess, but what about Talking Heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Step away from the Aqua and Alcazar albums, hands above your head! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Fairport Convention

Fleetwood Mac

Pulp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

The Pixies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Most of my favourite bands have both male and female members:

The Smashing Pumpkins
    Pixies
    Slowdive
    My Bloody Valentine
    Belle and Sebastian
    Camera Obscura
    Portishead
    Yo La Tengo
    Cocteau Twins
    Sonic Youth
    X
    Swans
    Saint Etienne

Loads of great bands that have both male and female members: Smashing Pumpkins, Fleetwood Mac, Arcade Fire, My Bloody Valentine, Garbage, The Distillers, Hole, The Breeders, School of Seven Bells (R.I.P. Benjamin Curtis), The Naked and Famous, The Jezabels, Portishead, The xx, CHVRCHES....too many to keep mentioning!

And there are also loads of good male/female duos: The Knife, Light Asylum, The White Stripes, Beach House, Goldfrapp, She Keeps Bees, Young Wonder, Matt & Kim, AlunaGeorge.......

But if you're looking specifically for upbeat/poppy bands that feature both male and female singers then that's a lot more difficult. The Naked and Famous is the closest I can think of, though they're not very poppy.

Not many that I can think of that haven't already been mentioned by other posters, but a couple of my own favorites would include the following - Lush would be reasonably poppy I suppose, and they did once cover an Abba song (oh yeah! that's another M/F mix for you!)

Something A LOT more obscure would be these guys from San Francisco called Pirx The Pilot. The singer ran a record lable and released some pretty "out there" punk stuff. He also regularly bemoans the lack of women in rock music. Unlike Lush however, they have dual lead vocals and the male and female seem to play well off each other.

Another extremely underrated band in my opinion was Prolapse from Scotland. I also think the M/F mixed vocals sounds well. In a lot of their songs it almost feels as they are singing two completely different songs. This is one of their more manic numbers, but a lot of others are much softer on the ear.

Despite a reputation of being a collective of "non-musicians" I think a lot of the music Crass made was weird and wonderful and experimental and maybe a bit ahead of its time. For 1979 I think this song sounds great.

This is my favorite song by Patti Smith, who in general is also one of my favorite artists. You might think this counts as a solo performer but the early albums all came out under the moniker of "the Patti Smith Group" so it's worth a mention. The guitar player Lenny Kaye would have been way more famous than she was when they started anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Are you fcuking kidding me? You like Aqua yet think the B52s are cheesy?

Anyway, Camera Obscura are the bidness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Pixies
    elastica
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Beach House
    MBV
    Lush
    Slowdive
    The Unthanks
    Widowspeak
    ect, ect,.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yet you listen to Aqua....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Velvet Underground
    Jefferson Airplane
    Boris
    Bikini Kill
    X-Ray Spex
    The Fall
    Germs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Chromatics
    Alabama Shakes
    Gossip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

the beautiful south

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Paramore
    Portishead
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

London Grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Showing my age but In Tua Nua in the 80's had a few good tunes (not to mention Leslie Dowdall !), whilst another Irish group The Adventures had a good tune in the 80's called Broken Land, again a female singer if memory serves well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Arcade fire are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Abba

Advertisement