Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groupon Game design/Web design course 93% off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The code TOP19 gives you access to courses for only $19 from Udemy. Here's the list of eligible courses:

https://www.udemy.com/collection/19-dollar-deal?tc=email.email_promo.email_promo_coup.2014-03-06_19deal&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email_promo_coup&utm_content=2014-03-06_19deal&utm_campaign=email_promo

There's loads of courses there, and am sure there are loads of Web Design courses to chose from. Haven't a clue of the quality of either providers of the courses, but worth looking into before shelling out £49 for Groupon's deal. Even if it's naff, $19 won't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I personally think it's a waste of money, I'm a game development student myself and we do unity. The entire module for the unity course this year was based around a self learning model (ie: We taught ourselves with very little input from the lecturer). It cost nothing to install Unity, cost nothing to learn unity's version of javascript...hell it doesn't even cost anything to learn most programming languages these days and it cost nothing to make games with unity (assets, scripting and so on).

So to me that course is charging you to learn something you can learn for nothing by looking up some youtube videos or freely available guides. In the place of Maya we used Blender...again that wasn't exactly hard to learn either (again for free).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

I personally think it's a waste of money, I'm a game development student myself and we do unity. The entire module for the unity course this year was based around a self learning model (ie: We taught ourselves with very little input from the lecturer). It cost nothing to install Unity, cost nothing to learn unity's version of javascript...hell it doesn't even cost anything to learn most programming languages these days and it cost nothing to make games with unity (assets, scripting and so on).

So to me that course is charging you to learn something you can learn for nothing by looking up some youtube videos or freely available guides. In the place of Maya we used Blender...again that wasn't exactly hard to learn either (again for free).

This isn't quite true. Once you're using Unity a lot you'll be buying ****loads of stuff you don't need off the asset store just because. Think Steam sales but for game dev tools.

Advertisement