Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Airport Immigration (Connecting Flights)

Options
  • 08-03-2014 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know roughly how long it would take to clear immigration? I believe that you have to do this at your 'port of arrival' in Canada, true?

I'm considering a connecting flight that stops in Toronto. There is approx. 2 hours before the next flight. Is that enough time to clear immigration?

I'll send my luggage to the final destination so I won't have to deal with that. But I believe Toronto gets most Canadian air traffic and most immigrants, so perhaps queues will be long?

Thanks

Update: Toronto Pearson airport say that regardless of whether you have tagged your luggage to move on to the final destination, you are obliged to pick it up in Toronto and to present it to customs. Well that is an issue for connecting flights and also a reason why I might choose London instead.
    http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting_from_usa.aspx#

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I've been wondering the exact same. I was looking at flights with Aerlingus into Chicago and then up to Edmonton!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I would make your connecting flight from london, if you have to pick up your luggage and clear immigration 2 hours won't be enough in my opinion.
    What is your final destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I came over to Calgary last Wednesday from Dublin via Chicago. Heard some horror stories about Chicago airport but had no problems whatsoever changing from T5 to T2 ( although luggage was checked through all the way). It was a 2 hour layover which was plenty, even had time for a McD's.
    Is your flights with one airline or are u booking 2 individual flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brandom

I fly through Pearson several times a year, and yes you will need to collect you baggage there before your connecting flight. If your connection is an internal one within Canada 2 hours is oceans of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I'll try get through all the feedback

EI-DOR - how's your flight routes working out?

gary27 - Yes I'm very likely to take the London route now, it certainly does look easier in this case. My final destination is Vancouver, so I have to make a stoppover somewhere. If it's on Canadian soil then I have customs and luggage I see now. I'd rather deal with that in Vancouver.

JenL - Ah you took the Chicago route! Yes I see some great fares with AL. Ah right, nice when the luggage goes straight through, less hassle. I haven't yet made the choice, I still have a little time but I will be booking with one airline so it's less hassle if something goes wrong and I have the push luggage to final destination option.

brandom - Lots of time eh? Is that including customs check?

I think I'll skip Toronto for the purposes of going to Vancouver, London will be easier; passport-free, no customs and luggage moves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Christ i have three stop overs first is in newfie land then toronto then finally onto calgary

Who did you book with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Who did you book with?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement