Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for the TV licence?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I screamed right in his face that I withdrew his right to access my property and if he didnt leave the premises at once I would call the Gards on him for trespassing.

Check out youtube for many examples of how to ignore these morons.
    Sounds like freeman stuff tbh.

He has a right to call to your door and request entry. You cannot 'withdraw his right to access your property' as he has that right by law (quoted previously). You can certainly refuse him entry or ignore him etc.
    An Ri rua wrote: »
    a TV licence inspector has few of the rights that are being touted here. The legislation quoted earlier must surely be with regards to non-domestic properties as not even a Garda can enter your home without serious and limited reason.
    They do have the right in a domestic house too. I doubt it would stand up to a constitutional challenge in the high court but noone has done that yet.
    An Ri rua wrote: »
    Another user here referred to tv licence visits happening after sign-ups for tv services / purchasing a tv/ other such interactions. Yes, that is the case. I sent to Setanta for a card (for my mother's Sky box, ahem) and I got a letter from the licencing authorities a few working days later. They were informed by email, as I do every year, that I do not watch live television, I only watch streamed content via IP, and until the broadcasting law changes, I do not require a TV licence. End of story. They accept that finality also. For 4 years now.
    You seem to be relying on UK TV licence laws. The Irish laws are more far reaching so the live TV bit is irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Doom wrote: »
    FFS, look at the Granny tax they're proposing! !

They're not proposing any such thing. More scaremongering!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

MugMugs wrote: »
    It also appears that the man met this lady with agression and attempted to forcibly gain access to her residence.

I don't think that was the case. It would seem that the TV License man asked to see if there was a TV there - as he is entitled to and this was refused. He said he could get the Gardaí and at this stage the girls boyfriend left his playstation game to come to the door and he got aggressive and as he said himself, screamed in the man's face and was abusive in his language.
    At no stage was it reported that the TV license man tried to physically force his way into the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I don't think that was the case. It would seem that the TV License man asked to see if there was a TV there - as he is entitled to and this was refused. He said he could get the Gardaí and at this stage the girls boyfriend left his playstation game to come to the door and he got aggressive and as he said himself, screamed in the man's face and was abusive in his language.
    At no stage was it reported that the TV license man tried to physically force his way into the apartment.

I bolded the parts for you. They are free to ask your name but that is all. After attempting the close the door and telling him to leave their property the TV licence inspector lied to them.
    Pay nothing. If anyone asks for your name at the door, just close it. You do not have to answer anything at all. You are under no legal obligation to speak at all. You have a right to remain silent. Dont let these bullies try and do it.

They tried it once in an apartment I was renting in Malahide a couple of years ago. My gf answered the door and I could hear him ask for her name, she asked who he was and he ranted off some drivel about there being no record of a tv licence being held at this address and he wanted to know if there was a tv there. She said its not her house and went to close the door. He then tried to bully his way in demanding her name, threatening to call the Gards if she didnt give her name as she had to. At this point I dragged myself away from Battlefield 3 and jumped right out the door at him, he got a shock because he must've assumed she was alone for some reason. I screamed right in his face that I withdrew his right to access my property and if he didnt leave the premises at once I would call the Gards on him for trespassing. He ranted again about having to supply a name, so I told him to "fcuk off" and jumped right in front of his face. He went away and never came back again.

These "agents" are a joke, they lie constantly about their so called powers. They have little power at all if you deal with the situation correctly. The way I did it was wrong, I was intimidating him, but I just wanted to get back to my clan match! Check out youtube for many examples of how to ignore these morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I bolded the parts for you. They are free to ask your name but that is all. After attempting the close the door and telling him to leave their property the TV licence inspector lied to them.

Opinion as to whether the inspectors are lying about their powers.
    The behaviour displayed by the inspector does not warrant the poster screaming in his face or using such offensive language IMO. It was an unnecessarily aggressive action.
    In addition to this by virtue of not having a tv license they were in fact in the wrong and were breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sounds like freeman stuff tbh.

He has a right to call to your door and request entry. You cannot 'withdraw his right to access your property' as he has that right by law (quoted previously). You can certainly refuse him entry or ignore him etc.

They do have the right in a domestic house too. I doubt it would stand up to a constitutional challenge in the high court but noone has done that yet.

You seem to be relying on UK TV licence laws. The Irish laws are more far reaching so the live TV bit is irrelevant.

Nope, I've emailed the licencing office for 4 years in a row now stating my name and address and how I consume 'as live' tv and I am in the clear. No licence required under current law.

I do have an old large CRT that I convert VGA into for Netflix etc. But what's behind a curtain and a closed door harms no one. ps yes I agree with what the 2009 Act says is their right. But, as you point out, I believe that right is less than the right of the homeowner and yet to be tested in court.

Of course, we're all OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Why, oh why do people answer the door? I just sit in my living room, and let people stare in the window at me if they like. No good has ever come from answering the door to unannounced people. They're either trying to sell me something I don't want, or to save me from hell. If it's friends or family, they'll call you.
    I wouldn't mind paying if they'd just call it what it is, a tax, and take it from source. which is apparently coming in the form of the broadcasting charge. But I'm not paying for a service I don't use voluntarily.
    How about I bill RTE E160 for mowing their lawns? It would be a service they didn't receive from me, so if they pay me, I'll pay my license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Why, oh why do people answer the door? I just sit in my living room, and let people stare in the window at me if they like. No good has ever come from answering the door to unannounced people. They're either trying to sell me something I don't want, or to save me from hell. If it's friends or family, they'll call you.
    I wouldn't mind paying if they'd just call it what it is, a tax, and take it from source. which is apparently coming in the form of the broadcasting charge. But I'm not paying for a service I don't use voluntarily.
    How about I bill RTE E160 for mowing their lawns? It would be a service they didn't receive from me, so if they pay me, I'll pay my license fee.

Moss: Like my Mum always says, you should never open the door.
    Jen: What do you mean?
    Moss: An unopened door is a happy door. So we never open ours when someone knocks.
    Jen: What, so you’ll just sit there?
    Moss: Yes.
    Jen: So the doorbell goes, and you’ll just sit there until the person goes away?
    Moss: Yes.
    Jen: What if it’s important? What if it’s good news?
    Moss: This is London, Jen. It’s not someone with cake. Unless that cake is made of dog poo and knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Agree 100%. I never answer the door. If it's someone I know they'll call/text me in advance. The only people who call to doors are salesmen and Jehovah's witnesses and tv licence inspectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There is scaremongering going on in this thread.

It wouldn't be a real TV license thread without some scare mongering and misinformation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement