Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle

Options
  • 08-03-2014 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a decent affordable bike to get me in and out of work, any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Im looking for a decent affordable bike to get me in and out of work, any suggestions? Thanks.
    donedeal.ie or adverts.ie
    Or if your can avail of it,then do the "bike to work" scheme.
    http://www.biketowork.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Every bikes a bargain with Bike2Work.

Get a roadbike OP is my advice, mountain bikes and hybrids just don't compare and as you get fitter you can take it for longer and longer rides out into the country etc, 50 km is nothing on a roadbike, they can be a pain in the ass and back for the first week or two but you'll never go back once you get used to it.

Halfords Carrera range is as heavy and cheap as you'd want to go, the reviews are okay:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_888017_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_810691_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

Better off keeping an eye on Donedeal and the rest for an older Trek or Specialized though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Cheers lads how does this bike scheme work? And would getting a second hand one off done deal be reliable? I have a kellys bike at the moment which I got second hand but im having several problems with it so I think ill have to right it off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Cheers lads how does this bike scheme work? And would getting a second hand one off done deal be reliable? I have a kellys bike at the moment which I got second hand but im having several problems with it so I think ill have to right it off
    I bought a road race bike off of Donedeal last year.Cost me 350 euro.Bike has aftermarket wheels on it that are worth 300 euro alone.The bike is in fantastic condition and was well looked after by its previous owner.Theres some good bargains to be had but theres also some crocks of shyte for sale too.
    Have a look at the bike to work website and you will see how it works.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r27

As above the bike to work scheme is definitely the way to go if its avalible, would avoid any carrera or Viking models though can be a real headache

• Advertisement

I've been reading up in the biketowork scheme but I couldn't find out whether or not you can buy a used one with it. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I've been reading up in the biketowork scheme but I couldn't find out whether or not you can buy a used one with it. Does anyone know?

no it has to be done through bike shops registered with the BTW scheme cannot be done with a 2nd hand one

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Looks up sportsdirect.com for deals. I've a basic mountain bike that's arriving tomorrow. Only 75 euro delivered. It'll do for all i want

Was in Halfords today looking at the Carrera bikes. The guy in there told me that you have to be working full time to avail of the bike2work scheme, so I don't think thats going to work out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Sportsdirect.ie.

• Advertisement

I got a bicycle from Sports Direct last year, it was something stupid like 60 euro when they had the euro/pound thing going on. It's great and still going. They delivered very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

Hi there!

I assume you already found the bike you are looking for. I bought Pure City Cycle for my wife's morning commute to work and she loves it. The bike is a lot lighter than I thought it was going to be which is a major plus. It was really easy to set up as well. You can check good reviews at http://www.bicycleadvisor.com/. I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for a commuter city bike. The extra money spent for the 8 speeds makes those hills a lot easier than a 3 speed or single speed. I should I know, I ride a fixie.

Advertisement