Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 US Moneycard

Options
  • 08-03-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Has anyone used one of these before? Heading on a J1 this year and Sayit are including the moneycard free in the package. Seems like a decent alternative to opening a bank account, but I'm not sure how it works when depositing money onto the card and if you are allowed do that overseas! Anyone with any experience with this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You will still need a bank account for the job that (I presume) you will be getting, if you are going over on a J1. You'll get paid either by cheque, or your salary will be paid into a bank account via direct deposit. The card won't be much use for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mr. McGreg

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You will still need a bank account for the job that (I presume) you will be getting, if you are going over on a J1. You'll get paid either by cheque, or your salary will be paid into a bank account via direct deposit. The card won't be much use for that.

Thanks for the reply, can the money not be paid into my Irish account though or are there fees/problems with that? I have a simple dream to live in America for a few months so I'm trying my best not to f*** it up ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No, they won't pay it into your Irish account. If you are living and working in America (even temporarily) they'll pay you into an American bank account, or give you cheques that can only be deposited into an American bank account. There probably are people who work in the US permanently, who are able to get their employer to pay their salary into a foreign bank account. But it would involve a lot of hassle (for the employer) and fees for the employee. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle to do it for someone who only over there for a couple of months, on a temporary job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I recommend TD Bank if theyre in your state. You iust have to keep $100 in the account to avoid fees. I still have the account open should I need to return.

Advertisement