Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tt bikes

Options
  • 08-03-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just being checking out tt bikes.

The budget dictates -

Cannondale Slice.
    Giant Trinity Composite 2.
    Planet x Pro carbon stealth.

All seem reasonably priced when compared to Cervelo, BMC etc.
    All have got really good reviews from triradar and similar forums.
    All being sold with a general mix match of groupset and componentary. I would hope to be able to sort this out with the reatiler.

I'll be predominately using in sprint/ Olympic this season with the possibility of half IM - IM next season. I'll be mostly competing here in Ireland on undulating courses. (Thats why I have'nt mentioned the like of the B12).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

scuba05 wrote: »
    Just being checking out tt bikes.

The budget dictates -

Cannondale Slice.
    Giant Trinity Composite 2.
    Planet x Pro carbon stealth.

All seem reasonably priced when compared to Cervelo, BMC etc.
    All have got really good reviews from triradar and similar forums.
    All being sold with a general mix match of groupset and componentary. I would hope to be able to sort this out with the reatiler.

I'll be predominately using in sprint/ Olympic this season with the possibility of half IM - IM next season. I'll be mostly competing here in Ireland on undulating courses. (Thats why I have'nt mentioned the like of the B12).

Any thoughts?

What's wrong with the b12?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Check Slane cycles up north. Great for reduced old stock cervelos. It's cervelo or nothing ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

tunney wrote: »
    What's wrong with the b12?

Read some reviews. Basically, said it was a topper in straight lines but struggled on more technical courses and was'nt the best on hills. Kinda enough to put me off when you consider the bike courses we have.

Read some reviews. Basically, said it was a topper in straight lines but struggled on more technical courses and was'nt the best on hills. Kinda enough to put me off when you consider the bike courses we have.

Emmmmm only aware of a handful of technical courses.

Amazing you found reviews to rule out the B12 but you still have the Stealth on your list.

Emmmmm only aware of a handful of technical courses.

Amazing you found reviews to rule out the B12 but you still have the Stealth on your list.

Ok. So I can assume you're putting the b12 ahead of the stealth. Also, if you've got experience of riding the b12, what would say in it's favor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

I ride a felt s22, the base model with a lightweight aluminium frame, which these so called tri experts claimed was unsteady, dangerous and unstable on descents...a load of sh**e...great bike, fast and steady

I also notice you havent considered the trek speed concept series either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my range of choices was different, but i purchased a slice around christmas time. Still getting used to it, but happy out with the purchase. Have no frame of reference though as
    1)it's my first tri bike
    2) i haven't raced it yet

I may be new to the sport. These are my experience of Irish Tri bike courses during my 1st year in triathlon.

Port Beach sprint - loads of rolling hills and dips/corners on secondary roads.

Skerries Olympic - 2 x 20 k loops inc steep climbs at Ardgillan and plenty of winding uneven surface thereafter,(between Ballyboughal and the main road from Lusk to Skerries).

Beast of the East Olympic - Lough Dann/Roundwood/Laragh. Enough said.

Phoenix Park Duathlon series - this even has its share of winding bends on short dips.

Now maybe I've completely misinterpreted the actual meaning of a technical bike course. I'm still none the wiser as to how the likes of a B12 or any of the other aforementioned brands that I've got no experience of would handle under these conditions, especially when coupled with our unpredictable weather.

I've no bias towards one brand or the other, (Honest Tunney). I was hoping some of you more experienced guys might be able to offer some pointers before I go and shell out on something I may regret buying. So, I'd appreciate a little more feedback that might help straighten out my green horns.

Appreciate some pointers. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

B 12 will always be faster than a stealth planet x simples.

It is true b12 does not feel as agile than let's say a cervelo but in the real world felt won the female world champs was 2 nd at hilly las Vegas....
    Aerodynamically felt b12 is level with 2012 cervelo p2.
    In all the courses you mention b12 a good bike and slightly more aero than giant and slice and a lot more aero and faster than stealth ( great value components and so usually felt)
    But here is the truth you need to test it different people like different bikes. But a felt bike not climbing well is just review ****e . Canyon one to consider.
    Felt is a bit longer and lower than slice which is more short and high .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

peter kern wrote: »
    B 12 will always be faster than a stealth planet x simples.
    thanks I just got a stealth frame :( to build up.

@scuba05 imo for the average person the difference between frame x and y is relatively small, the most important factor is a bike that you are comfortable on and a good fitting.
    then its just time in the saddle to get the true benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Wheelworks were doing deals on the full range of Felts a while back and Planet X Ireland are matching their prices to the UK (about time) so they are not bad value. Unfortunately no matter what Tri bike up get on, its going to feel a bit weird and if you have no reference its going to be hard to pick the perfect bike for you. Sitting on a frame in a shop or on a tubro in a shop not ideal for making a decision but that seems to be the way. If you can get a shop to give you a bike for a few hours to test out, that might be enough to swing it for you.

With a few notable exceptions if you go to a shop looking for advice, the advice will match the stock they have. Get independent advice.

Fernado Fuentes or Frank O'Connor would be the people I would go to.

benny with the right legs the stealth is a fast bike too ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Have you got a bike fit and checked your stack and reach measurements to see what bike fits you best?

This is first.

Thereafter it becomes a case of what fits your budget/you fall in love with.

Some good deals out there so enjoy!

Felts are very popular here, pretty good value etc.
    Planet x seem a dying breed but a good entry tt bike.
    Thereafter there's so many to choose from it becomes a personal choice within your fit.

I wouldn't discount a second hand bike either, my first tt was second hand and I got a better bang for my buck as a result.

Thanks guys. Some really helpful feedback here.
    I currently ride an S2 with a tt fit. So I imagine the transition to a dedicated tt bike won't be too vast.

Anyone else like to comment on the suitability of the Felt b12 for shorter distance events. Maybe I can have a more aggressive fit for shorter distance and slightly more relaxed for IM.

felt suitability for triathlon ....

if it helps you most likely the felt b12 frame (frames from b16 to b2 are the same mould ) are likely to be the most or 2nd most (p2 might top it ) used frames in every single tirathlon in Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Did you have a look at Quintana Roo. That cd01 of there's is sweet looking. no idea how good it is mind. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

I have a b12 and have had it for 3 years now, excellent bike in my opinion I have done a sub 30min 20k and sub hour 40k on it, and at the price range it's in I don't think the component list can get any better. Haven't tried it on any long races than an oly though. ps that was on the stock ttr3 wheels as well!

Never heard of this brand. Do you know of anyone on one of these.

Would anyone else like to compare the trinity composite frame or the slice to a b12 frame?

Pretty impressive!y

You're obviously at home on a saddle. I hope your swim and run aren't on a par with your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EoghanRooney

Just wondering Peter, how do you work out that a b12 is a faster frame than a trinity or stealth one? I don't have a different opinion, I'm just curious so I'll know what to look out for while bike shopping.

Just wondering Peter, how do you work out that a b12 is a faster frame than a trinity or stealth one? I don't have a different opinion, I'm just curious so I'll know what to look out for while bike shopping.

google is your friend to sniff around aerotests.in the wind tunnel and real world testing from field testing ( i for example cant rember having seen the planet x test in the windtunnel but have seen aero field test

as an aside planet x stealth bike with the most aero set up for bike bottles is as fast as a felt bike with a bad set up of water bottles.....

at the same time in the real world since 90% of triathletes are way to worried aobut aero gear, when craig alexander lost hawaii after 2 world titles they all said it was the bike that cost him the title , than when he won with another bike they all said it was the bike that made him win .... than the last 2 years, on said super bike he did not win ...
    so alexander has 2 wins and a 2nd place on what is classifieyed as an aero brick bike and no aero helmet
    and 1 hawaii win one a bike that most people call a superbike.with an aero helmet.

so the bike and helmet are not really the most important thing ( espcially given the way that alexander would typically ride in a pace line where aerodynamics becomes less important - as it does in most age group races with big bike packs )

at the same time starkowicz on a faster bike would certainly have gotten the hawaii bike split record last year ( concidentaly he is riding the developed version of craig alexanders ex bike so in the last 6 years the brand that is said to built aero bricks is the most succesfull brand in hawaii for male bikes. ( Their talent seems to be not building the best bike, but finding the right person to ride it ;-) ;-)

so what iam trying to say is their is aero testing ( important) and then the reall world of triathlon which is not a proper tt and lessesn aero adanvtages for most middle of the pack people (important too )

So Its obviously down to comfort levels. Stack, reach etc.

However, other factors for me in making my decision are, warranty and after sales service.

For example, Planet X are offering a 2 year warranty on their frame with the option of insuring your frame to a level that if it gets damaged outside of 2 years, you get a replacement at half the price. Not sure how much this costs though.

I have been told by Wheelworx that they give a lifetime warranty on the frame, along with free servicing, free tt fit and free tweaking of the fit down the line. Not bad!

There is one needling fact. I've noticed a few 2012/13 B12's on sale on Adverts and Done Deal. Just a little wary that there could be an underlying reason for this or, maybe its just simple coincidence. Anyone?

If I can eliminate this needle, I've got to say, I'm edging towards the B12. Which is ironic, considering I had completely disregarded it initially. I suppose that's the reason we use these forums, to try and get a good basis.

I've kind of moved away from the Giant Trinity at €1999. Reason being, the group set and components are a complete mismatch. It seems like a really good frame but there does'nt seem to be the option of buying frame only. I've tried this line of enquiry, to no avail.

Last on my list is the Cannondale Slice. I can pick it up for a shade over €2000. Looks like a quality frame that comes with Shimano 105 and R500 wheels, which I've already got a set of.

So its probably B12, Planet x, Cannondale Slice in this order at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

There is one needling fact. I've noticed a few 2012/13 B12's on sale on Adverts and Done Deal. Just a little wary that there could be an underlying reason for this or, maybe its just simple coincidence. Anyone?

My opinion on that and it may be way off would be that it is bought as an entry level bike because of its price. Some people go b*lls out on all the gear and then give up on the sport soon after! Others upgrade every couple of years so it may be genuine reasons for the sales, also they are a very popular bike at tri's so there is always going to be more of them than other brands for sale on the secondhand market. But as I said it's only my opinion and nothing more than that! :) good luck whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

sorry to hijack the thread but was looking for a bit of advice, i'm 5'9" and ride a 54cm road bike, would a 50cm tt bike be too small for me? i've never had a bike fitting but have had to shorten the stem on my road bike and i had to replace my seatpost to reduce the setback
    would appreciate any advice - the tt bike in question is a quintana roo kilo

What i was told buying mine is that in general, your tt bike should be 1 size below that of your road bike, so presuming you got your 56cm road bike fitted then a 54cm tt bike should be the right size

Hi.

Although there are much more experienced contributors on this thread, I be fairly sure a 50 cm is on the small side for you. In fact, I've been told in recent enquiry, that its like with like and you don't move down a size from road to tt.

However, there will be variances in fit from different bike manufacturers. Your fit may also depend on your flexibility and your anatomical make up.

For example, my inside seam is 34 inches and I'm 5ft 11, which means my torso is shorter than average.

Double check everything before you commit to purchase. Best of luck.

I was properly fitted for both my bikes, my road bike is a 56cm and tt bike a 54cm

This i was told was correct and i can tell you that both bikes fit me 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

Thanks for the replies folks - sounds like I need to go and properly sized

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

With a few notable exceptions if you go to a shop looking for advice, the advice will match the stock they have. Get independent advice.

Fernado Fuentes or Frank O'Connor would be the people I would go to.

+1 for Frank in terms of advice and fit, however, I went for heart over head when buying my TT bike :rolleyes:. He ruled out felts for me as they are a bit too long given my body shape and flexibilty. Pity as they are great bikes, and good value.

Get the one that will fit you best and you like most. Then start working on the engine.

Advertisement