Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tt bikes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Thanks Tunney
    Fair point, I'll take it on board ,
    I have no fear at all descending on my road bike, maybe it's just being that little bit further away from the brakes on the B12 ..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

One of the things the b12 does well is that it handles usually very well ,compared to most tt bikes so it would be more to do with fit maybe too short stem in conjunction with ill fitted bottle cage behind the saddle or you are very nervous at downhills . ="trailrunner;90361697"]I got a B12 a few months back, Been out a few times now that the evenings a bright, I've noticed that is scary on descents, scary as in all it wants to do is go into a speed wobble..!!
    Is this just me or has anyone else had the same experience..?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

I can't compare the b12 tt bike with any other tt bike, as its also my first.I also am getting used to descending at speed on my b12. I would definitely agree that I feel more self assured in handling my cervelo road bike. That said, I only got into the cycling/triathlon last year. When I compare how I ride my road bike now to when I bought it last March, the gulf is fairly big.

I'm sure with a bit more time and a couple of tri events under my belt on the b12, I'll be confident in my ability. I know how quick you can pick up speed on a descent. It can catch you a bit. But as Tunney said, relaxing and not forcing it should help. I'm off the aero bars on sharp bends.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Thoughts on the Specialized Shiv Expert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I have one, its great. But my aerobar snapped off today :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

Hi Claude. Anything to Ron? I don't know much about them. They were just a wee bit outside my budget.
    I do see plenty of them knocking about transition. So that can only be a positive sign.

Good luck with your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

The usual problem:

I am wondering whether to go with a tri bike or a road bike. I was planning to get a tri bike to have one of each but then my road bike got stolen, so back to square one.

The main thing I'm wondering is, are tri bikes comfy for a short (or long) spin?

I have seen some cycle groups say no tri bikes on group rides. Are they much more difficult to handle

I won't be doing any races this year due to zero bike training, but will hopefully do some sprints and olympics next year.

Cheers everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Im lucky and have a road and a TT bike. If I had to live with 1 bike, definitely go for a road bike. You can use it for everything. You could get a fairly aggressive road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

just-joe wrote: »

I have seen some cycle groups say no tri bikes on group rides. Are they much more difficult to handle

Its not a difficulty in handling that is the issue. Its the fact that the brakes are only on the short bars so if you are down on the tri-bars you cannot brake as suddenly as someone on a roadie.

If you intend to join group spins as well as train on your own I think a road bike is essential. If you are happy to go solo all the time, no reason not to just have a TT I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

IMO a road bike is an essential and a TT bike is a luxury. Best option is a road bike with added aerobars - but make sure you get them fitted and measured for you properly.

Regarding the shiv - great yoke but with a few problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Just to go against the grain here I vote TT bike as main if you are training for triathlon.
    If a large part of your training or fitness is going out for enjoyable bikes then fair enough roady.

I do most of my training on the TT bike - all of the Turbo's, and lately most of the long rides.
    I prefer riding the TT bike but the odd time the roady is a nice break too.
    Granted long rides in the winter rain are more palatable on a roady and safer too.

As for the Shiv - I find it a brilliant bike. The only weakness is the stack measurements really. I compensated close to 10mm moving to the shiv on the lowest setting. However it is by far the most comfortable TT position I've had and have no prob's staying Aero for long periods.
    The bladder is fantastic too and I've had zero problems with my Shiv.
    Have seen all the bladder problem posts, but I find it excellent and no issues at all.

You can get lower stack by swapping out the Shiv bars for negative stem or lower stack aerobars, but the shiv bars are very very comfortable also so it's a tough call. One of the reasons I still haven't swapped despite having a lower stack aerobar available.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Fazz wrote: »
    Just to go against the grain here I vote TT bike as main if you are training for triathlon.
    If a large part of your training or fitness is going out for enjoyable bikes then fair enough roady.

I do most of my training on the TT bike - all of the Turbo's, and lately most of the long rides.
    I prefer riding the TT bike but the odd time the roady is a nice break too.
    Granted long rides in the winter rain are more palatable on a roady and safer too.

As for the Shiv - I find it a brilliant bike. The only weakness is the stack measurements really. I compensated close to 10mm moving to the shiv on the lowest setting. However it is by far the most comfortable TT position I've had and have no prob's staying Aero for long periods.
    The bladder is fantastic too and I've had zero problems with my Shiv.
    Have seen all the bladder problem posts, but I find it excellent and no issues at all.

You can get lower stack by swapping out the Shiv bars for negative stem or lower stack aerobars, but the shiv bars are very very comfortable also so it's a tough call. One of the reasons I still haven't swapped despite having a lower stack aerobar available.

I do most of my training this time of year on shiv too but with no road bike in the winter it would leave things limited. Also, conditions in winter as you say suit the road bike. Must reiterate one thing (and surely the major point) - comfort - I feel on the Shiv that I could stay in the aero position all day!!

For us mere mortals though, I still think a road bike is an essential tool- its all about opinions though!

Reflect all you say regards the shiv - I had a problem with the fixing screw for the bladder - when removing to install the bladder for first time the frame lug came off with the screw! Also, the wheels supplied with it as standard aren't great. Still saving for a nice pair of wide rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

especially for mere moratals doing loads of training on tri bike is very important to get used to this positon you only have to look at ironman pics how few people are still in aero postion after 150 k

your shoulders neck etc need to train the aero postion to adapt and the more you do that the less problems you have on race day.

I guess its great to see how an 2 time olympic medal winner slowly adapts to his long distance tt bike postion. It dosnt come from 1 day to the next it takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

tunney wrote: »
    Not to sugar coat it but yes, yes it is you.

What is happening is you are getting nervous, tensing up a little and this makes the handling a little worse which makes you a little more nervous which makes you a little more tense.......

Whatever happens just relax as much as you can.

I found a bit of a wobble on the S22. But only on a serious downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

On the TT bike versus road bike. Its important to note its not about the bike - its about how blatantly you are willing to draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    On the TT bike versus road bike. Its important to note its not about the bike - its about how blatantly you are willing to draft.

And a high elbow, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The problem with TT bikes in a group scenario is that you are essentially looking at the ground in front of you or slightly up depending on your positioning and not as easily able I look around at others in the group. I think if you train in a group a road bike is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

The problem with TT bikes in a group scenario is that you are essentially looking at the ground in front of you or slightly up depending on your positioning and not as easily able I look around at others in the group. I think if you train in a group a road bike is essential.

The issue is also aero bars are a little stabby! The bullhorns handle bars are also a bit more likely to get tangled if riders touch bars. Flat bar bikes are frowned upon for the same reason. Some riders are fine on a TT bike in a group but any body will have better handling and control on a road bike in a group.

Advertisement