Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 points for a win, 3 points for a draw!?

• 08-03-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I rarely post here. I only browse to see opinions etc... But I was reminded of something which made me go mental a few years back.

I was making the point that there are 3 points up for grabs in every game so why when there's a draw are only 2 points awarded. Surely the sensible thing would be to split the points, no!? If there were only 2 points for a win anyway, it might have merit, but when the points structure was changed some years back, why wasn't this painfully obvious!? It always has been to me.

Now you can't give 1 1/2 points per team, that would just be ludicrous. So why not award 2 points to the visiting team and 1 to the home?

I don't follow premier league religiously like another o you lads (and lassies) on here, but I wonder would there have been much of a difference to the shape of some final day tables over the past 21/22 years since Premier League football began?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It was an attempt to make the game more attacking by giving more points to the team that won the football match.

Opr

pajopearl wrote: »
    I rarely post here. I only browse to see opinions etc... But I was reminded of something which made me go mental a few years back.

I was making the point that there are 3 points up for grabs in every game so why when there's a draw are only 2 points awarded. Surely the sensible thing would be to split the points, no!? If there were only 2 points for a win anyway, it might have merit, but when the points structure was changed some years back, why wasn't this painfully obvious!? It always has been to me.

Now you can't give 1 1/2 points per team, that would just be ludicrous. So why not award 2 points to the visiting team and 1 to the home?

I don't follow premier league religiously like another o you lads (and lassies) on here, but I wonder would there have been much of a difference to the shape of some final day tables over the past 21/22 years since Premier League football began?

So a draw for the away team would be worth 2 points and 1 point for the home team?

Interesting idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No 2 points for a draw would be ludicrous ... you'd have teams traveling away from home parking the bus and achieving 2 points. Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

No, three points for a win was a big improvement. Even if it was Jimmy Hill's idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Oh I should say he does. Haha. But I suppose, on reflection, weaker teams would probably play along more defensively if playing away from home. I don't like negative football me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No 2 points for a draw would be ludicrous ... you'd have teams traveling away from home parking the bus and achieving 2 points. Not for me.

Indeed. The three points for a win was introduced to promote more attacking football, awarding two points for an away draw would just be undoing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yeah it was brought in, in England in 1981 owing to teams in the 60's/70's parking the bus in away games. It was perfectly acceptable to draw away from home and win all your games at home and this would be good enough to win the league.
    There was a lot of 0-0 draws in them days. Awarding 1.5 points for a draw would just bring this mentality back.
    Its fine as it is IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ireland's 1990 World Cup would have been very different under 3 points for a win.

It was a procession of draws, Deadly dull stuff. Ireland and Holland stopped playing when they realised the draw suited them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mourinho to became the first manager to win a league following 38 draws.....and not having played a forward or midfielder all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's fine the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Let's not bring in rules that encourage overly defensive football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

How about bonus points? If you score say 5 in a game then you get an extra point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

How about bonus points? If you score say 5 in a game then you get an extra point.

Maybe not 5, but 3 or 4 sounds good.

Or have a different system, whereby it is 3 points for a win, and there is 1 bonus point on offer to either team. If the winning margin is 3 say, the winners get the bonus, if the losing team manage to keep it to less than 3, they get it

Is there anything to be said for introducing the scrum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

CSF wrote: »

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The system is not broke. Keep your bonus points with your rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I think that would be an attempt to turn the game into a spectacle for the people watching rather than a good evolution for the game. The tactical element of nullifying a team is just as important as the attacking element in terms of the varying styles. The current system of points has found a good balance but applying something like the above is trying to tip the scale too far towards attack. Football has a really good blend of styles all of which can win a game which is what makes it really interesting.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CSF wrote: »

Well Stoke will probably win the league the 1st year it was introduced.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well Stoke will probably win the league the 1st year it was introduced.
    Might need to work in conversions then too to make sure the changes balance out for all equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Skid X wrote: »
    Ireland's 1990 World Cup would have been very different under 3 points for a win.

It was a procession of draws, Deadly dull stuff. Ireland and Holland stopped playing when they realised the draw suited them both.

The World Cup in 1990 was three points for a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

If anything they should further widen the reward for a win over a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

The World Cup in 1990 was three points for a win.

Incorrect. 3 points for a win was introduced in 1994 because 1990 was considered one of the worst finals ever due to the negative play on show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Idu wrote: »
    Incorrect. 3 points for a win was introduced in 1994 because 1990 was considered one of the worst finals ever due to the negative play on show

Interesting, I stand corrected.
    I thought 3 points for a win was the norm world wide shortly after the Football League introduced it in 1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its great the way it is but for sheer entertainment the introduction of a bonus point like rugby would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭tfer

how about

1 point for a home draw
    2 points for an away draw
    3 points for a home win
    4 points for an away win

would the 4 points for an away win be enough of an incentive for the weaker teams to attack a bit more instead of "parking the bus"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I read it here a little while ago and I thought it was well worth thinking about it.
    Leave everything as is, but no points for a 0:0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

tfer wrote: »
    how about

1 point for a home draw
    2 points for an away draw
    3 points for a home win
    4 points for an away win

would the 4 points for an away win be enough of an incentive for the weaker teams to attack a bit more instead of "parking the bus"

This was actually trialled by UEFA/FIFA in the late 80s with the League of Ireland selected as the guinea pig league for a season. It wasn't considered a success.

Lads, lads,

How about 3 points for a home win and 1 point for a home draw? And then have 3 points for an away win and 1 point for an away draw?

• Advertisement

I'd get rid of points altogether. Most wins wins the league. Then most draws. Then goal difference.

I'd get rid of points altogether. Most wins wins the league. Then most draws. Then goal difference.

Or....get rid of wins altogether, most goals wins the league...

This thread is just change for the sake of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think the first goal scored should be worth 3 points to the team, any additional goals they score they then get a point.

I also think there should be cheerleaders.

And orange soda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My solution to this would be to deduct 3 points for a 0-0 draw! :p

If a game ends 0-0 after 90mins, next goal wins and the losing team gets deducted 3points.

And there should be orange soda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Game ends in a draw, 1 point each. Then a penalty shootout to see who gets an extra point... maybe... :o

• Advertisement

DazMarz wrote: »
    Game ends in a draw, 1 point each. Then a penalty shootout to see who gets an extra point... maybe... :o
    Again encourages defensive play, giving the incentive of an extra point just for getting a draw.

0-0 after 90mins, next goal wins and the two keepers are taken off.
    It's a war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would like to see 3 points for a win and in the case of a draw, the 2 teams compete in a penalty shoot-out for the 1 point with 0 for the loser.

I dont think there should ever be a case when a team are happy with a draw in league football. It is something that has turned my off going to live games recently. Going to see a big match that ends up a draw feels like you have wasted an evening. I always get the over-riding feeling of "What was the point in that".

If there was a shoot-out at the end, I would feel I got a bit more entertainment for my 15 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If a match ends 0-0, both sides can bring on all their subs. 18 vs 18 with last man back for the keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

They should bring back 2 points for a win. 3 points for a win was brought in to promote attacking football and it failed. 3 points for a win doesn't even make logical or mathematical sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

764dak wrote: »
    They should bring back 2 points for a win. 3 points for a win was brought in to promote attacking football and it failed. 3 points for a win doesn't even make logical or mathematical sense.

Wha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Chelsea won a Champions League parking the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Skid X wrote: »
    No, three points for a win was a big improvement. Even if it was Jimmy Hill's idea.

There's no evidence to ever prove that.

It did famously prevent Manchester United from winning the league in 1995 as they would have won it on goal difference over Blackburn under the 2 points for a win rule.

So Jimmy Hill prevented Man U from winning a title.

Advertisement