Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medicine: The Best Route for a Graduate

• 09-03-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Evening folks, this is going to be a long one unfortunately but I’d appreciate any help with my, very specific and strange query.
    I’m currently a Psychology student in one of the Universities in Ireland and entering the final year of my programme next September. I’m currently doing extremely well in my studies, averaging 1.1’s in my Christmas examinations, however I can’t say I’ve ever felt the ‘moment of connection’ with Psychology as a discipline that has made me realise I want to continue down a path in it as a career.

I’m now, in hindsight (or with a bit more life experience I suppose you could say), wondering if I would have preferred a career in the Medical Field. The only aspects of Psychology I have found enjoyable are Biologically or Health Based and have never been fully satisfied with the minute knowledge I’ve extracted from the modules concerning those topics.
    I’ve started doing some background reading into applying for Medicine following the completion of my degree. I’ve looked into GEM, but to be honest, the extortionate fees and loans to be acquired have really frightened me into applying for Medicine in that way.

Recently I’ve contemplated applying through the CAO (LC Points and HPAT system) for entry to Medicine in September 2015. There are a few problems I’ve realised with doing this.

Foolishly in my premature, teenyboppy years I didn’t choose to study a Science subject in the LC Curriculum. Following Career Development meanings, series of Psychometric tests and of course the Scientific element to my degree I’ve realised that I do have quite the Scientific mind and would’ve more than likely excelled in this area had I chosen to attempt it in the Leaving.

I did ok in my original Leaving, obtaining 520 points.

My underlying query is (Excuse the waffle I had to try and understand it myself):

If I did sit the Leaving Certificate this June in order to obtain the necessary Science requirement and applied to sit the HPAT next year, in conjunction with my original points earned in the State exams, would there be any hope I could acquire entry into Medicine?

I realise this is quite the complicated thread and I’m sorry for the confusion it may cause, but I said I might as well give it a go!

Thanks for any advice or help in advance, it’s very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Woun wrote: »
    Evening folks, this is going to be a long one unfortunately but I’d appreciate any help with my, very specific and strange query.
    I’m currently a Psychology student in one of the Universities in Ireland and entering the final year of my programme next September. I’m currently doing extremely well in my studies, averaging 1.1’s in my Christmas examinations, however I can’t say I’ve ever felt the ‘moment of connection’ with Psychology as a discipline that has made me realise I want to continue down a path in it as a career.

I’m now, in hindsight (or with a bit more life experience I suppose you could say), wondering if I would have preferred a career in the Medical Field. The only aspects of Psychology I have found enjoyable are Biologically or Health Based and have never been fully satisfied with the minute knowledge I’ve extracted from the modules concerning those topics.
    I’ve started doing some background reading into applying for Medicine following the completion of my degree. I’ve looked into GEM, but to be honest, the extortionate fees and loans to be acquired have really frightened me into applying for Medicine in that way.

Recently I’ve contemplated applying through the CAO (LC Points and HPAT system) for entry to Medicine in September 2015. There are a few problems I’ve realised with doing this.

Foolishly in my premature, teenyboppy years I didn’t choose to study a Science subject in the LC Curriculum. Following Career Development meanings, series of Psychometric tests and of course the Scientific element to my degree I’ve realised that I do have quite the Scientific mind and would’ve more than likely excelled in this area had I chosen to attempt it in the Leaving.

I did ok in my original Leaving, obtaining 520 points.

My underlying query is (Excuse the waffle I had to try and understand it myself):

If I did sit the Leaving Certificate this June in order to obtain the necessary Science requirement and applied to sit the HPAT next year, in conjunction with my original points earned in the State exams, would there be any hope I could acquire entry into Medicine?

I realise this is quite the complicated thread and I’m sorry for the confusion it may cause, but I said I might as well give it a go!

Thanks for any advice or help in advance, it’s very much appreciated.

Hi Woun,

Ill try help, I'm a mature student trying to realign myself and hoping to get medicine this year (as a mature app)

As a mature or GEM your gonna pay fees, if that's ok, try this route. You apply for all through CAO, mature applications are based around HPAT scores and then a short list of people who apply with personal statements and life experiences.

GEM applicants (must have 2.1 or better) apply and sit the GAMSAT. as far as I know it's a straight rat race for GEM places and they are offered to best scoring applicants.

All medical colleges require sciences, some 2 sciences and most require C3/B3 or higher in 2 sciences one to be chemistry. The bad news is that as i understand things, if applying with your LC points I understand you need to have obtained everything in one sitting (points and matriculation requirements)

520 cao points technically would get you into a course with an amazing HPAT, last year combined CAO/HPAT scores were in 740's meaning you would need a HPAT score of 220+. that would mean you'd need to be 100 percentile (so its not impossible but probably unrealistic)

So having read your post, it'd seem GEM would be the easiest (not easy). However, if you feel your up to it, repeat LC and apply for GEM at the same time (giving you two bites)

I am presuming that you've already done a state funded course, I don't know the rules, but think you may be liable for fees even if you go though the LC/CAO route (I'm not sure though)

There are student loan facilities for med students which could help ease the burden for now and pay back once your earning.

Hope that helps, getting into medicine is tough going- good luck, I share your dream and am in the midst of it all at the minute.

Best of luck

Caolan

Advertisement